Connecticut Home Invasion

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In light of having heard of this recent event - a violent Connecticut home-invasion, rape and homicide - I wonder what opinions people had regarding the death penalty and crime and punishment in general. I was honestly horrified and sickened by the account of this and what the family had to endure and perhaps my harsh opinions are a product of what I felt after reading the article.

My opinions are thus - punishment should be as harsh as possible and fit the crime. Convicted rapists/sex offenders should be castrated without anesthesia in my opinion - I think the screams alone of the hypothetical rapist having his manhood forcibly removed (preferably with an acetelyne torch) would discourage other would-be rapists who happen to be watching the broadcasted punishment. Convicted murderers, such as the human garbage in the linked article, should be punished with the death penalty and that penalty should be administered as slowly and painfully as possible. Say what you will of violating human rights but those home invading rapists and murderers in that case already violated their victims' rights and thus their rights are forfeit.

A larger question would be this - is not justice an eye for an eye at its most basic level?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. I agree that you have a point. However, and this is the major counter argument for me: there will always be innocent people who get convicted for a crime they didn't commit. It happened in the past, it is happening today, and it will happen in the future.

And I do not think it is right that we should have a death penalty, knowing that 1 or 2 out of every hundred people is actually innocent. Read up on the innocence project if you don't believe me. Give them life without parole. The population will no longer be at risk, and if the convicted person is innocent, he'll at least still have his life. And if sometime later he can be proven innocent, no irrepairable damage has been done.

That is the major reason I am against death penalty.
And unless you are fine with a system that kills innocent people every now and again, so should you.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What of those who beyond a shadow of a doubt murdered/tortured/raped innocent people? The survivors of those murdered deserve justice. Why let that individual live when it is clear his life should be forfeit?

There is an option of life imprisonement that juries can seek - but in cases like this one the death penalty is the right sort of punishment.

Does this mean the other 98 or 99 convicted and hardened criminals should also be spared? No. If they have murdered their lives shall be forfeit.

Last edited:

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What of those who beyond a shadow of a doubt murdered/tortured/raped innocent people? The survivors of those murdered deserve justice. Why let that individual live when it is clear his life should be forfeit?

There is an option of life imprisonement that juries can seek - but in cases like this one the death penalty is the right sort of punishment.

Does this mean the other 98 or 99 convicted and hardened criminals should also be spared? No. If they have murdered their lives shall be forfeit.

What do you think life in prison is?

I have recently been reviewing my stance on the death penalty. I have to say that I don't like the idea of an innocent person who was convicted being killed, even if we gave them the fairest trial possible. At least while they are in prison they can continue to appeal their case and maybe be freed.

I would much rather have those who have rightfully been convicted of murder and rape contribute something to society with their miserable lives. Bring back the chain gang, make them work for their sins. At least in this way society can in some small way be paid back for their sins.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinions are thus - punishment should be as harsh as possible and fit the crime.

What purpose does it serve?

Convicted rapists/sex offenders should be castrated without anesthesia in my opinion - I think the screams alone of the hypothetical rapist having his manhood forcibly removed (preferably with an acetelyne torch) would discourage other would-be rapists who happen to be watching the broadcasted punishment.

Rape is a crime of violence, not a crime of sex. I am no expert, but we had to undergo a lot of training when I was taking Criminal Justice courses in college, and from what I was taught, rapists rape; if their penises are taken away, through whatever means, they rape with instruments that substitute for a penis.

Convicted murderers, such as the human garbage in the linked article, should be punished with the death penalty and that penalty should be administered as slowly and painfully as possible.

What purpose does that serve?

Say what you will of violating human rights but those home invading rapists and murderers in that case already violated their victims' rights and thus their rights are forfeit.

I have no problem with the concept of incarceration or the death penalty. Indeed, the convicted should, and do, lose many of their rights.

A larger question would be this - is not justice an eye for an eye at its most basic level?

Not in modern societies.

Justice is about protection.

Protection of individuals; their rights and their lives.

Protection of society; our freedoms and our safety.

Protection of our way of life; our system of government.

Justice should, and for the most part does, concern itself with these things. We remove criminals from the streets in order to protect citizens from them, to protect society from them, and in some cases to protect our system of government from them. Incarceration is not about punishment or even rehabilitation; it is about protecting the rest of us.

There is nothing to be gained by inflicting pain on a convicted person except to (perhaps) give some comfort to the friends and relatives of the injured or dead. This in and of itself may not be so awful; but it does not lead to a safer society.

Look at our criminal justice system like the white blood cells in our bodies. Their job is to protect individual cells; to protect the system as a whole, and to ensure that life continues. They remove threats with extreme prejudice. That does not mean they exact vengeance from cancer cells; but it does mean they show no mercy in removing them. There is nothing to be gained by torturing a flu virus, but there is much to be gained by effectively destroying it.

And to be quite blunt; our criminal justice system is good. With all of its problems, it is still probably the best in the world. But innocent men and women get convicted from time to time; it happens. We can not give back the years we take from an innocent person, but we can try to make up for it in other ways. If we've tortured them or castrated them or beaten them or inflicted extremely cruel punishment intentionally upon them, how do we say we're sorry about that? If we've put them to death, how do we give them their lives back?

I share your anger about what these animals did. Torturing them won't fix anything, and basing a justice system upon it is the mark of an immature society; one I would not want to live in.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would much rather have those who have rightfully been convicted of murder and rape contribute something to society with their miserable lives. Bring back the chain gang, make them work for their sins. At least in this way society can in some small way be paid back for their sins.

Society would be better served by those individuals rotting in unmarked graves and being denied even coffins for burial or better still letting scavengers consume their remains. They are human garbage to be disposed of, vermin to be killed.

Perhaps sentence them to hard and hazardous labor in very austere conditions - such as uranium mining. That could be an alternative to executing such scum that deserve it.

What purpose does it serve?

Harsh punishment could serve as a deterrent. If someone hears that two home invading rapists were flayed alive, then perhaps it might deter a potential criminal.

What purpose does that serve?

How would that father who lost his daughters feel hearing those two degenerates being torn to ribbons? I think it might be closure. Hell let the man have the first cut.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Harsh punishment could serve as a deterrent. If someone hears that two home invading rapists were flayed alive, then perhaps it might deter a potential criminal.

It doesn't. There are many countries that exact such punishments. They have crime also.

How would that father who lost his daughters feel hearing those two degenerates being torn to ribbons? I think it might be closure. Hell let the man have the first cut.

Sounds great. How about the next trial, where the evidence is not quite so cut-and-dried and it turns out later that the men are innocent? Everything still OK then?

The purpose of our justice system is to protect us, our society, and our way of life from threats. That is all. We are not in the business of revenge.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In light of having heard of this recent event - a violent Connecticut home-invasion, rape and homicide - I wonder what opinions people had regarding the death penalty and crime and punishment in general. I was honestly horrified and sickened by the account of this and what the family had to endure and perhaps my harsh opinions are a product of what I felt after reading the article.

My opinions are thus - punishment should be as harsh as possible and fit the crime. Convicted rapists/sex offenders should be castrated without anesthesia in my opinion - I think the screams alone of the hypothetical rapist having his manhood forcibly removed (preferably with an acetelyne torch) would discourage other would-be rapists who happen to be watching the broadcasted punishment. Convicted murderers, such as the human garbage in the linked article, should be punished with the death penalty and that penalty should be administered as slowly and painfully as possible. Say what you will of violating human rights but those home invading rapists and murderers in that case already violated their victims' rights and thus their rights are forfeit.

Sadly, I hear and read about this incident daily. Reading articles in the paper today, made me have mixed emotions...sadness, obviously for the lone survivor, as well as the families, and hate and disgust for the 2 pieces of ****.

Did they intend to do what they did initially? Not a clue, and I'm not going to armchair QB whether they would/wouldn't have done the things they did. Whats done is done, and that is what needs to be focused on, as far as the trial goes.

Personally, I'm all for the death penalty. And yes, I've talked about people spending X number of years in prison, for crimes they didnt do, what would happen if they killed an innocent person, only to find out he wasn't 'guilty' like they thought, etc., etc. IMHO, if there is solid proof, and from what I've been seeing, there is alot of it, then if the death penalty is whats suggested, then screw all the endless appeals, strap those 2 scumbags to the chair, pull the switch and end the pain for the guy who survived, although this is a pain that'll stay with him, 'til the day he dies.

OTOH, perhaps life in prison is the better option. No parole, no appeals, NOTHING! You rot in a prison cell, until the day you die, end of story. Of course, if this isn't the option, then this will drag on and on, because the lawyers for the dirtbags will fight the dp, the bleeding hearts club will protest, do their marches, and all the other BS they do, and what peace will this give the man who lost his family? It wont give him any.

I say lock them up and throw away the key. There is NO chance of any rehab and these guys are best left in a place where they can never do something like this again.

On a slight off topic note...and this is why I have little to no compassion for anyone who does stuff like this. Not just people who do home invasions, but anyone who is willing to inflict pain and suffering and torment on their potential victims. Someone breaks into a house, and the homeowner blows them away, I say good for him! You do stuff like this, you get what is dished out to you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Amen! Instead of having the DOT workers out there, in the hot weather, picking up trash on the side of the highway, make the inmates do it. Instead of giving them weight equipment to work out with, let them exercise by hard, manual labor.

OP
LoneRider

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Amen! Instead of having the DOT workers out there, in the hot weather, picking up trash on the side of the highway, make the inmates do it. Instead of giving them weight equipment to work out with, let them exercise by hard, manual labor.

Make the bastards mine uranium with minimal protection and let cancer kill them.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sadly, it dont work that way. There is no deterrent, because the system, IMO, needs to be fixed first. Instead of guys with 30+ crimes on their rap sheets, still walking around, doing more crimes, lock their asses up. Maybe jails/prisons should follow the lead of Sheriff Joe out in AZ. Now thats a place that doesnt seem like a country club.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those two should be dipped in kerosene and the husband given a box of matches.

Reactions: MJS

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never heard of a murderer calling out hits from pine box.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those two should be dipped in kerosene and the husband given a box of matches.

I share the emotion. But my brain reminds me of the frustrating reality that no action of vengeance will undo or repair the damage done. And as Bill pointed out, when you look at nations that exact such forms of retribution today, or you look back a a few centuries to a time when the Anglo-European legal systems that we evolved from applied such extreme measures, society was not free of crime. It was just more brutish and violent all the way around.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I share the emotion. But my brain reminds me of the frustrating reality that no action of vengeance will undo or repair the damage done. And as Bill pointed out, when you look at nations that exact such forms of retribution today, or you look back a a few centuries to a time when the Anglo-European legal systems that we evolved from applied such extreme measures, society was not free of crime. It was just more brutish and violent all the way around.

Many conservatives (and as you know, I count myself one) believe in limited government. Government has a very strict and limited mandate, and intrusion into other areas is neither warranted nor wise. Encouraging the state to exact vengeance in order to satisfy a sense of outrage by victims' families is a clear overstepping of those boundaries.

Government serves a distinct purpose, and in the case of criminal justice, it is to keep us as safe as it can, to protect the functioning of society, and to protect the government which we have. That is effectively served by detecting, capturing, trying, and upon conviction, removing from society the dangerous elements. I don't much care if that is done by incarceration or by putting the most dangerous criminals to death; so long as it is done.

Ensuring that such criminal convicts receive massive pain as 'punishment' for their crimes does not serve any purpose that the STATE should be performing. I understand outrage, I understand the need for closure and for victims to feel that 'justice has been done'. The state is not the mechanism for exacting vengeance; and if we think it through rationally, most conservatives should conclude we don't want it to take on that role.

For those who believe in religion, such vengeance is left to the Creator or to Karma anyway. The state has no business attempting to act in the name of God.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those who believe in religion, such vengeance is left to the Creator or to Karma anyway. The state has no business attempting to act in the name of God.

My religion encourages forgiveness, but allows for me to exact equal punishment... I cannot kill a man for stealing my TV, but I can take his TV from him.

That is, after all, what "An Eye for an Eye" is all about... it doesn't condone revenge, but rather sets limits on what punishment is fitting of a crime.

Much like Shylock and his Pound of Flesh, but not a drop of blood.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My religion encourages forgiveness, but allows for me to exact equal punishment... I cannot kill a man for stealing my TV, but I can take his TV from him.

That is, after all, what "An Eye for an Eye" is all about... it doesn't condone revenge, but rather sets limits on what punishment is fitting of a crime.

Do you wish to live under a Sharia-type law? We are a secular society. Vengeance is not a function of a secular government.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

But if you read the Talmudic debates on the 'eye for an eye', it was never implemented because the punishment could never be truly equal to the crime. What if perpetrator had better eyesight? different eye colour, that's not an exact match?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you wish to live under a Sharia-type law? We are a secular society. Vengeance is not a function of a secular government.

I didn't say anything about the government. I was talking about myself.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But if you read the Talmudic debates on the 'eye for an eye', it was never implemented because the punishment could never be truly equal to the crime. What if perpetrator had better eyesight? different eye colour, that's not an exact match?

Yes yes, I know and the arguments that Killing a 20 year old as Justice for his killing of an 80 year old doesn't even out because the 20 year old loses more life... I understand It is possible to pick nits that way or to place even value, i.e. one Physical Eye for one Physical Eye. The issue I have with breaking it down the way you outlined is that then a Noble or Politician's life would be worth more than a housewife or a farmer... and that's not right either. Pretty soon we start saying "Well, Blue Eyes are rarer than brown, so a person with brown eyes is worth less... that guy has black skin, its inferior to white skin, that guy has an IQ of 86, he had one of 149" etc...

In other words, it's not a perfect solution, but I like it as a guideline. It dictates to me that if you destroy my car, I can't stab you in the chest. Is that wrong? If so, I'd be happy to build a vengeance based model for my morals where I get to exact whatever punishment makes me FEEL BETTER about what you did to me, and to hell with how harsh it is, even if it means dropping a few carpet bombs on the entire neighborhood you live in because you spilled my beer in the bar... ;)

Latest Discussions