Conditioning

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mate that I do tkd with has set up a dojang down the side of his house with a couple of heavy kick bags , weights gym , focus mits , boxing equipment etc and a stereo. We train there every saturday for an hour or two and jog 5 klm 2 to three times a week. We try to do this every week , we have slack periods but overall we stick to it as much as work and family allow.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hours and hours of it. If you are not in shape you cannot fight.....or even do poomsae :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lots of traditional weight work using clay jars filled with sand or with stone rods. This type of strengthening tends to create more useful muscle in the context of martial arts than a modern weightlifting regimen.

Lots of forms practice too since it works your cardio. As MSUTKD said above, none of this really works unless you are in great shape yourself.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cardio on the stationar Bike 2 x a week. Running wass better but the joints are worn.

Weightlifting 3 mornings and 2 evenings a week - Legs in teh evening, upper body in the morning.

Steel plate striking 3x a week.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
NBothing else but the TKD classes twice per week and Kenpo classes twice per week too.

Maybe my stamina is not exelent but it's much better than two years ago.

Manny

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
In addition to TKD class 2x/wee, teaching 3 hrs 1x/week and crosstraining in BBT 1x/week. I do free wieghts work for about 45 minutes 2x/week and kettlebell work 2x/week. I'm adding a small bodyweight regimen to my workouts this week in an effort to master such skills as the pistol and the pullup. I do some sort of non-ma conditionging 6 days a week basically, from 20 minutes to 45 minutes.

In the past I've done crossfit (lots of fun, but couldn't keep up with it), running (hated it), sraight power lifting (like it, but need more).

Whne i started in TKD, it was enough of a workout. I gradually added, changed tried new things as the demands of TKD forced me to improve my strength, power and endurance.

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do as much as my health will allow, some weeks it is alot other month not so much. I wish the new year will bring me better health so I can get back into shape and be the man I once was.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was just curious how much conditioning you guys do outside of class. Specifically fitness conditioning not MA conditioning.

Outside of class I do bag work, and use kettlebells/lift weights 2-3 times a week. I consider all of that MA conditioning though. Physical training is physical training. It all contributes positively.

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish I had time to devote to improving my conditioning... But, I train (in class) 5-7 hours/week. And teach 3-15 hours, depending on my schedule. I spend 3-5 more hours/week working on specific things I want to improve outside of class. After that, I don't have time for much of anything else. I occasionally do a steam-room workout. Try doing forms in a steam-room — so awesome :)

I used to go to the gym 3x a week for weightlifting but I don't have time for that anymore.

But during breaks (like a 3 week one coming up where I won't have ANY access to a dojang :( ) I do a lot of forms and a little weight training 3x a week for 2 hours.

Latest Discussions