Competition Do's and Don'ts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of the most bizarre competition rules you have ever been involved in?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ROFLMAO, if that is the weirdest you can come up with!

I find the 'no backward acrobatics' in X-treme form weirder...

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's OK for the red player to run completely out of the ring without even so much as a warning, but if the blue player steps so much as their big toe out, instant kyongo.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
New TKD rule set where a head shot is 3 points. Saw a match where a kid was down 7-9. He got in a head shot an only got 2 points. Match ended in a tie and he lost in sudden death. He should have won but even his coach did not catch the mistake. After I talk to his coach and mentioned this and his look said it all. I think they were so happy to get to a tie that they did not even thing about the extra point.

This was at most recent JKI in 09.

VinsonTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is a (not) funny story:
I was at this very local competition one time and got in the ring and my opponent didn't have his head gear on. This was after I was told to wear one (like any normal tournament).... The ref told me I would not do any head kicks to him because he didn't feel like wearing one. And he got to make that choice based on his rank. I kid you not.

I think it's a little odd. I'm sure he did too when I accidentally kicked him. Oh well.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a (not) funny story:
I was at this very local competition one time and got in the ring and my opponent didn't have his head gear on. This was after I was told to wear one (like any normal tournament).... The ref told me I would not do any head kicks to him because he didn't feel like wearing one. And he got to make that choice based on his rank. I kid you not.

I think it's a little odd. I'm sure he did too when I accidentally kicked him. Oh well.

At our school tournaments, black belts can choose not to wear headgear, but kicks and strikes to the head are still allowed. They have thick skulls.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At our school tournaments, we have a rule that only two hand strikes to the head are allowed. There's no penalty for more, you just won't get the points.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know it changed but....

Stupid-est-ist rule.... point ceiling/cap. good fight, 11/11.... still first round..... really???? and you gonna end it at 12?????????????????????????

If anything it should be minumum point per round, u dont score in round.... DISCO'd.

I hate a lame non-scoring fight.

Latest Discussions