Ch'ang H'on tuls

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that Ch'ang H'on practitioners represent a smaller fraction of the TKD world than other groups - but I'd like to start a discussion about Ch'ang H'on patterns.

Who here on MT practices Ch'ang H'on patterns?

Which is your favorite? Why?

Which is your least favorite? Why?

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ITF tuls aren't practiced in my school but...
for about half year we started to teach Moon Moo tul for all persons with 3 kup and above who want to start in TKD patterns in tournaments. And... in november on international PUT tournament we had one silver and one gold medal in 2 kup and above division. We practice TSD.

I know Chang Hon patterns from Chon-Ji to Ge-Baek and Moon-Moo

My favourite is Moon Moo becouse is the prettiest of all tuls and is very technical difficult.

My least favourite is Joon-Gun.

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Kacey.

I train in ITF tuls. are school is part of the UKTA are grandmaster is Rhee ki ha.

I don't think I have a fave one I think they all have there challenges getting to grips with chon ji the first pattern learnt was very rewarding or won-hyo the half way stage in terms of belts to black or Yul-gok past half way. or is choong-moo to obvious as its the black belt pattern.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ITF tuls aren't practiced in my school but...
for about half year we started to teach Moon Moo tul for all persons with 3 kup and above who want to start in TKD patterns in tournaments. And... in november on international PUT tournament we had one silver and one gold medal in 2 kup and above division. We practice TSD.

Interesting choice... in our sequence, I am just learning Moon-Mu as a IV Dan, as one of my required patterns for V Dan. Not that there's anything in Moon-Mu that most 3rd gup and up don't know, just that, as you say, it's very technically difficult.

I know Chang Hon patterns from Chon-Ji to Ge-Baek and Moon-Moo

My favourite is Moon Moo becouse is the prettiest of all tuls and is very technical difficult.

Funny... that whole technical part is why I don't pick Moon-Mu as my favorite! Actually, I do like it - I'm just not nearly as good at it as I want and need to be.

My least favourite is Joon-Gun.

Hmm... I'll admit that Joon-Gun isn't my favorite either, but I don't know that I'd say it was my least favorite; but then, I'm not sure what my least favorite is, either!

My favorite gup pattern is Won-Hyo - not for anything about the pattern, specifically, but because when I tested for my 5th gup high green belt (which required Won-Hyo), that was the first time I really felt like I had performed at the high end of the standard for my rank. My favorite black belt pattern is probably Po-Eun - like Moon-Mu, it is very technical, and most people don't do it right, but it's not nearly as physically demanding as Moon-Mu, and, when done right, can be a lot of fun.

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hi Kacey. i am a fifth dahn in tkd (non sine wave itf flavoured). i know all the forms except tong il and juche (i was taught kodang instead). my favourite is ul ji, least favourite is kodang. (ugh, it just does not flow like the rest) my fav gup hyung is yul gok, least fav is tae gye.
Dusty, kj

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As said in an ealier post I train with the Ch'ang H'on or tuls even though I train WTF.
I believe this is because my GM finds them prettier and more technically difficult then some of the other sets of forms out there.
So far the highest form I've learned is Toe-Gae in hopes of a Black tip
When it came to learning the forms I hated Toe-Gae as there are so many changes of the stances (from closed to L to front to closed to L to front...etc).
But now that I have learned it and am in the process of perfecting it. I really do like it. Although there are too many Mountain blocks in the tul :D
But I really don't have a "favorite" of these forms. I was out of TKD for 4-5 years and so I am still in the process of re-learning the rest. Got them all down except Won-Hyo and Joon-Gun.

Although I am fond of Yul-Kok, simply because I can perform that very well. I found the rhythm of Yul-Kok easily and I really like the rhythm the form follows!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have only learned up to Yul-Guk......however I still love Do-San the best. I much prefer the I.T.F. over W.T.F. poomsea but ya know to each their own.

The I.T.F. Poomsea are deeper stances and much more powerful. As a 2nd dan in Judo and an upper gup belt in hapkido I am all about the stronger stances. The more power the better.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I'd go with Hwa-Rang as my favorite. Mainly due to how it flows. I don't really like Kwang-Gae for basically the same reason.

McZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting choice... in our sequence, I am just learning Moon-Mu as a IV Dan, as one of my required patterns for V Dan. Not that there's anything in Moon-Mu that most 3rd gup and up don't know, just that, as you say, it's very technically difficult.
moon moo for 3rd gups is one of our best ideas... its starts when i found this tul on youtube and said i must know this becouse its very nice ;)

best idea becouse learning moon moo rises your technique up.

mayby after championships i will put my pattern on youtube to show you and know what i'm doing bad.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
At the moment, I would have to say I cannot pick a favorite, but I CAN pick a least favorite: Juche. I cannot stand the 180 degree spins with the leg held up. I can do them just fine, but jeez, what a useless pain in the butt. I have never been given a good reason for those in the form other than 'because it is challenging' Seriously, can anyone give a logical self defense reason for them?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who here on MT practices Ch'ang H'on patterns?

Which is your favorite? Why?

Which is your least favorite? Why?

I train them.

Favorite=Ge-baek or Choong-moo. Ge-baek for the great kick training it has, it really pushes me. Choong-moo, for the jumping side kick.

Least favorite=Yoo-sin, just not my thing. I train it, but just can't get into it.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only ITF Ch'ang H'on tul I know is Gae-baek. We do it slightly altered from ITF standard (no sine wave, two side kicks instead of round kick jump round). We used to have Chung-moo as a Chodan tul as well, but that was before my time.

Many of the younger black belts like Gae-baek because it offers a range of kicks while still retaining a flavor similar to the Tang Soo Do we practice. Kae-Baek was a hard on for me because I tend towards more distinctly Japanese influenced forms, but I enjoyed the power I could find in Kae-Baek. Not my favorite form, but not my least favorite either.

The Ridgehand Roundkick sequence is my favorite in the tul.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
The only ITF Ch'ang H'on tul I know is Gae-baek. We do it slightly altered from ITF standard (no sine wave, two side kicks instead of round kick jump round). We used to have Chung-moo as a Chodan tul as well, but that was before my time.

Many of the younger black belts like Gae-baek because it offers a range of kicks while still retaining a flavor similar to the Tang Soo Do we practice. Kae-Baek was a hard on for me because I tend towards more distinctly Japanese influenced forms, but I enjoyed the power I could find in Kae-Baek. Not my favorite form, but not my least favorite either.

The Ridgehand Roundkick sequence is my favorite in the tul.

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are several ITF Tuls I really like. I had to start loving Chon-Ji after trying to teach it to my kids group :) I like Toi-Gye for whatever reason, and it's also a favourite of some of my best students. I like Do-San as the "strong" patterns really suit me (this applies to Toi-Gye as well). I fell in love with Kwang-Gae after first watching it performed by my instructor some 18 years ago.

I don't like Joong-Gun, and I can't stand the name Juche. Renaming it was one of the ICTF's best ideas.

Latest Discussions