Combinations

theriverrat

White Belt
Reaction score
What combinations does everyone like doing? My sensei does lots of combos that involves using your hips alot and I enjoy that but was wondering what other people do and enjoy.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are a myriad of combinations that can be used for any given situation. However many of the competitors from the days of old usually relied on what they believe to be their bread n butter ;)

Perhaps one of my favorite combinations since my Shotokan days was the back-knuckle reverse punch :) Another was a front leg sweep followed by a reverse punch/lunge punch combo :D

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
first plase explain what you call a combination.
i ask this only because some systems have preset required techniques that are called combinations

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Particularly for warming up, I like to use variations on a theme with Backfist, Reverse punch and Front kick combos (same 3, different order). Not a bad sparring set, either.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my two favorite (read most effective) combos when it comes to my sparing are a jab, cross, roundhouse and a push-drag forward, jab, grab/pull of opp lead hand, step-drag forward, uppercut to kidney.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A really good combination: Gyaku zuki - Uraken - Gyaku zuki

The last Gyaku zuki should be a strongly committed attack.

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of my newer resurrected combos that I've been using is a simple soto uke (outside block- from the outside coming inward) with your forward hand, continuing your momentum through and delivering mawashi ushiro keri (turning back kick) with your rear leg. This works best against long ranged attacks, and especially mawashi keri.

Boomer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry...just realized that was only 2 techniques...not 3 as previously explained...

I'll make restitution now.
I like sneaky stuff, and usually one can sneak a good mikazuki keri in to suprise your opponent, especially if you've been setting up mae keri most of the match. with this in mind, use a rear leg mikazuki keri (outside in crescent kick) to move a step forward into a side stance, and follow immediatley with a fast uraken uchi (backfist) and shift to a front stance with gyaku tsukii (reverse punch).
The object of the crescent kick should be to attack your opponent's hands and drag them downward. This works especially well against JKA and other karate practitioners that extend their hands far away from their body in their chudan no kamae.

Latest Discussions