Combat Football is Karate + Football?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was kind of odd...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/2/prweb9239991.htm

The University of Virginia Cavaliers football team is working with Martial Arts expert, NFL and college football consultant Mike Storms. UVA will be employing new training techniques this season to make the team tougher, more physical and increase their hand skills for the game.
Storms, a former United States Marine and 7th degree black belt and creator of Combat Football™ was coaching in Charlottesville, VA for two days with football strength and conditioning Coach Evan Marcus.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait till their kicker starts using spinning hook kicks....

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
A guy I train with plays a sport which is a combination of rugby league and karat/tkd. He showed me a vid of him playing once and it looked awsome, and deadly. Its quite popular and lots of people get into it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nothing new. Martial art training was introduced to the NFL, specifically to the Dallas Cowboys in 1976. Bob Ward the strength and conditioning coach of the Cowboys at the time brought in Guro Dan Inosanto and Muay Thai legend Ajarn Chai Sirisute to train hand, footwork, and leverage techniques. The Cowboys great NFL Hall of Fame Defensive Linebacker Randy White continued to train in Muay Thai becoming an instructor in the Thai Boxing Association USA.

Today most of the NFL teams incorporate some martial art training as well as many of the college teams.

Google 'martial art training in football' for some insight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy I train with plays a sport which is a combination of rugby league and karat/tkd. He showed me a vid of him playing once and it looked awsome, and deadly. Its quite popular and lots of people get into it.

Aussie rules? :)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's next? Why not just start using weapons too?

Last edited by a moderator:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is old news. Many of the football's greatest players were also Martial Artists. Some even own Martial Arts schools and teach in them after they retire for the game.

Martial arts helps all sports. Just about every kid that I teach is tops in their PE classes at school. They all run faster, further, and longer than the kids that are not in any MA program. They also do more pushups, pullups, situps, and so one. My daughter's PE teacher was having kids do squats in school and so my daughter just playing around did what is called pistol squats (one legged full down squat with the other leg extened out in front of you off the ground the entire time) and the teach freaked out. My daughter said that she stopped the class to have everyone gather around her to watch what she could do. My daughter was really embarassed by it.

But yeah Martial Arts does help football.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course MA helps all atheletes, and of course it's been going on a long time.. . But COMBAT Football??? A laughable misnomer, IMO (which is why I assume people are poking fun here.. .)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
combat football??!? what stupidity is that?? If you want insane games, History has a few, Norse Stick Ball comes to mind! A man by the name of Agales Agaballas ( sp?) a viking in the 10th century or so, Killed his first Man at age 8 in a game. ( yes boys and girls that is historical fact.) But then there is always the 'Games' in the Arena , you all know of the Gladiators and the Games they had. While less were to the death then people often believe, still some very much were to the death. But i would not call them martial arts really, but also no way were they games like I would like to play.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing new. Martial art training was introduced to the NFL, specifically to the Dallas Cowboys in 1976. Bob Ward the strength and conditioning coach of the Cowboys at the time brought in Guro Dan Inosanto and Muay Thai legend Ajarn Chai Sirisute to train hand, footwork, and leverage techniques. The Cowboys great NFL Hall of Fame Defensive Linebacker Randy White continued to train in Muay Thai becoming an instructor in the Thai Boxing Association USA.

Today most of the NFL teams incorporate some martial art training as well as many of the college teams.

Google 'martial art training in football' for some insight.

Aw man, you beat me to it. I couldn`t remember the year, but I knew Inosanto and the team. Hats off to you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
combat football??!? what stupidity is that?? If you want insane games, History has a few, Norse Stick Ball comes to mind! A man by the name of Agales Agaballas ( sp?) a viking in the 10th century or so, Killed his first Man at age 8 in a game. ( yes boys and girls that is historical fact.) But then there is always the 'Games' in the Arena , you all know of the Gladiators and the Games they had. While less were to the death then people often believe, still some very much were to the death. But i would not call them martial arts really, but also no way were they games like I would like to play.

Why wouldn't gladiatorial combat be considered a martial art?

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually I would say it would be more of a martial arts venue, rather than a specific martial art, since there was not a unified set of practices, strategies, and training methodologies. Various martial arts were employed in the gladiatorial games, for sure, but it was not A martial art. I liken it to the UFC.. but with weapons and death and tigers and stuff.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Plus, I would much rather see Combat GOLF. Just sayin.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, I would much rather see Combat GOLF. Just sayin.

Didn't they do something like that in one of the Caddyshack movies? I want to say it was the one with Rodney Dangerfield in it.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why wouldn't gladiatorial combat be considered a martial art?

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.
It should be and one that should be revived. Think how much fights to the death would rake in on pay per view

Latest Discussions