Combat Cane?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The questions that I have for you are:

Can you walk or take small steps at all without the cane?
Can you use your off leg to ballance well without the cane?
If you can ballance well on your good leg, can you use the off leg for any degree of support?

I can take small steps unassisted, with substantial difficulty.
I cannot balance well on my bad leg at all. for example, I cant kick with my good leg
I can use the bad leg for balance while standing on my goodleg. kinda like the kickstand on a bike

the hardest thing is that I cant pivot on the bad leg. for example when using jo, I can pivot off the good leg, and use the bad one to arrest the movement, but not vice versa.
Unfortunately, that probably will eliminate virtually every cane system that I have seen. While I have looked at none of them in depth, every one that I have looked at demonstrates techniques with very mobile and physically fit people.

I refer back to my previous statement:

Based on what you have said thus far, I recommend as follows:

Use a cane that you can manipulate well in one hand and which is light enough to use without pulling yourself off ballance. It needs to be balanced well so that you can get a lot of return from small movements of the arm and wrist. It should also be sturdy enough to support your weight, as that will be its main function.
Striking techniques will be more viable than exaggerated pushes, pulls, or the fairly sophisticated grapples that I have seen in some systems.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that probably will eliminate virtually every cane system that I have seen. While I have looked at none of them in depth, every one that I have looked at demonstrates techniques with very mobile and physically fit people.

I refer back to my previous statement:

Striking techniques will be more viable than exaggerated pushes, pulls, or the fairly sophisticated grapples that I have seen in some systems.

I agree that many Hapkido short stick techniques require good foot and hand coordination. And using a cane requires practice to decide if you will use the bottom of the cane or the top, or which you would have to use to prevent part of the cane getting in the way.

However, a google of "hapkido short stick techniques" brought up this;
which I think the OP could adapt to use with a cane and the use he says he has of his weak leg. I believe there are others as well.

But again, that is why it is recommended that you talk to Aikido or Hapkido teachers in your area to see if they know how, and are willing to teach you around your disability.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can take small steps unassisted, with substantial difficulty.
I cannot balance well on my bad leg at all. for example, I cant kick with my good leg
I can use the bad leg for balance while standing on my goodleg. kinda like the kickstand on a bike

the hardest thing is that I cant pivot on the bad leg. for example when using jo, I can pivot off the good leg, and use the bad one to arrest the movement, but not vice versa.

Here's some clips of Carlito Bonjoc, a Serrada Eskrima/Cadiz LapuLapu Master. He impresses the hell out of me. It sounds like you have more mobility than him.

This clip is from a few years back, when he could still stand for short periods:

Here's a more recent clip:

Find the right teacher and you can definitely make it work. Good luck in your journey!

Last edited by a moderator:

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have no first hand experience with these people, but I was told of them by a friend that requires a cane to walk. Supposedly, their system is designed for the elderly and disabled. They also make a lot of canes themselves, tell you how to size them properly and will make them to fit you. Not too bad a price on them either.

http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no first hand experience with these people, but I was told of them by a friend that requires a cane to walk. Supposedly, their system is designed for the elderly and disabled. They also make a lot of canes themselves, tell you how to size them properly and will make them to fit you. Not too bad a price on them either.

http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51
I'll have to take a look at it. So far, all of the pictures that I have seen of canemasters material feature people who do not seem to have mobility problems doing things than anyone with mobility problems would have trouble doing.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, what we have here is a niche that could be filled by an enterprising and yet completely experienced person. Any cane fighters out there with a couple of decades under your belt and a bum knee?

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at it. So far, all of the pictures that I have seen of canemasters material feature people who do not seem to have mobility problems doing things than anyone with mobility problems would have trouble doing.

Like I said, no experience, but they do list their products being for elderly and disable people. I know at least one of the books and DVD's listed techniques done from sitting, so mobility shouldn't be an issue for those techs.

Latest Discussions