Collapsible Canes?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Given the comments so far, I'm thinking maybe the collapsible/extendable aluminum ones would be best. Collapsed, they'd be pretty stout. Extended, they'd be weaker, but still better than not having something. My preference is my oak cane, but I tend to leave it home more because I hate to mess with it when I don't need it.

Although I have not seen it myself, several officers have told me they've broken ASPS over people and will never use them again. And I like ASPS.

But the likelihood of an old fart like you getting into a rumble are probably pretty low, get whatever cane you're comfortable with.

But you gotta' name it. Just because. And you know what. :)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have 2 "united cutlery" hiking sticks with knife in it. If you loose the blue connection, the bottom part can be hidden inside the upper part. It's a bit heavier than normal. but the knife is in pretty good quality.

hiking_stick.jpg

You can attach a saw or a knife on the handle.

hiking_stick_1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 "united cutlery" hiking sticks with knife in it. If you loose the blue connection, the bottom part can be hidden inside the upper part. It's a bit heavier than normal. but the knife is in pretty good quality.

hiking_stick.jpg

You can attach a saw or a knife on the handle.

hiking_stick_1.jpg
Both knife and saw - and probably the spike tip (if it's like many hiking sticks) are not allowable in carry-on luggage, and probably problematic in India.

As for walking, the crook of a cane serves a purpose that isn't equally served by straight walking sticks.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I didn't get the point across in my OP that the primary purpose of the exercise is that I need to take a cane with me, because of my crummy legs. The SD aspect is important, but secondary.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Somehow, I didn't get the point across in my OP that the primary purpose of the exercise is that I need to take a cane with me, because of my crummy legs. The SD aspect is important, but secondary.

I understood that part of the spec. Did you not see my suggestion? ;)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The cold steel ones are pricey but they are legit walking sticks and i would suspect you could make a good case if needed that is just what they are and there are more than the two types I said lol.

Your spot on with the cane concealing something lol....Far less is it legal in India I doubt if you'd get through the checks stateside before the TWA dudes wanted to have a word. In my experience those folks have no sense of humour and ummm would probably think you were gonna hold the plane up and sitting trying to explain that you got knackered legs and a dude on here recommended it to you could prove problematic lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
In seriousness, what's your cane style?

If you're using it as a lever (two hand grip, pressure compliance) then aluminium or light steel will bend easily, so a stout carbon fibre type might actually be better.

Swing and hit? A nice heavy handle to use as the business end is better than a light plastic handle.

Poking with it? A twist lock telescopic type is no good, it'll collapse with shock loading.

Like a crook, hooking and pulling an ankle/neck? The 'pull and fold' type won't work, you'll be 5 feet away before the elastic reaches it's limit.

If I was really looking for me, I'd be considering a 'pull and fold' type, but replace the elastic with rope or stout string that I can pull through and wrap around the handle to secure the sections so I can pull with it without it popping apart. I'd want a hardwood/brass/aluminium handle (something with a bit of heft) and I'm as yet unsure about the shaft material, but I'm thinking maybe along the lines of rattan sections with brass or steel ferrules (rattan won't kink like metal tube, nor shatter like carbon) - oh, and a nice metal tip with a rubber insert, pokey and non slip.

Is anything like that commercially available? Dunno...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If you're using it as a lever (two hand grip, pressure compliance) then aluminium or light steel will bend easily, so a stout carbon fibre type might actually be better.

Swing and hit? A nice heavy handle to use as the business end is better than a light plastic handle.

Poking with it? A twist lock telescopic type is no good, it'll collapse with shock loading.

Like a crook, hooking and pulling an ankle/neck? The 'pull and fold' type won't work, you'll be 5 feet away before the elastic reaches it's limit.

If I was really looking for me, I'd be considering a 'pull and fold' type, but replace the elastic with rope or stout string that I can pull through and wrap around the handle to secure the sections so I can pull with it without it popping apart. I'd want a hardwood/brass/aluminium handle (something with a bit of heft) and I'm as yet unsure about the shaft material, but I'm thinking maybe along the lines of rattan sections with brass or steel ferrules (rattan won't kink like metal tube, nor shatter like carbon) - oh, and a nice metal tip with a rubber insert, pokey and non slip.

I think his style is knackered knees legs lol and the style is holding his battered body up lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think his style is knackered knees legs lol and the style is holding his battered body up lol

Yes, hence the walking stick.

But, as soon as you go past 'ambulatory assistance' and add 'possible weapon' to the spec the design needs change.

Add 'collapsible' and you've got a whole raft of engineering considerations.

It doesn't fulfill it's brief if you can't use it to help you walk away after hitting/poking someone...

Oh, and to the point about the type with the concealed knife - a walking stick is a true weapon of opportunity in a defence situation, using one to hide a blade? Plus, how do you transport it by air (as mentioned previously)?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But, as soon as you go past 'ambulatory assistance' and add 'possible weapon' to the spec the design needs change.

It doesn't fulfill it's brief if you can't use it to help you walk away after hitting/poking someone...

Oh, and to the point about the type with the concealed knife - a walking stick is a true weapon of opportunity in a defence situation, using one to hide a blade? Plus, how do you transport it by air (as mentioned previously)?

sorry I was just being or trying to be funny and failing

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A bit of each. My weapon work is FMA-influenced, so less use of the crook, except as a striking mass. Any levering I'd do would be minimal and short-lever stuff so less likely to produce extreme bends, and a bent cane still works for hitting people. Stouter is generally better, of course, but most of my stickwork is with rattan. I also have to figure the packing issues, so heft eventually becomes a concern. The shock-corded stuff (even if upgraded to stouter cord) doesn't fit any of my training of any significance (a tiny smattering of nunchuku back in the NGAA curriculum, but nothing functional).

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am never at a point where I can't walk without a cane, though I'm sometimes (especially after a lot of sitting - like an intercontinental flight) only able to walk pain-free if I have one. So if it is useless after seeing defensive deployment, I'm okay with that.

I think I'll end up picking up two or three promising ones to play with. Maybe the one that survives until the trip is the one I take. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A bit of each. My weapon work is FMA-influenced, so less use of the crook, except as a striking mass. Any levering I'd do would be minimal and short-lever stuff so less likely to produce extreme bends, and a bent cane still works for hitting people. Stouter is generally better, of course, but most of my stickwork is with rattan. I also have to figure the packing issues, so heft eventually becomes a concern. The shock-corded stuff (even if upgraded to stouter cord) doesn't fit any of my training of any significance (a tiny smattering of nunchuku back in the NGAA curriculum, but nothing functional).

From someone who has used bats on people hold one end and hit them with the other.

Getting trickier than that leads to disaster.

Latest Discussions