Collegiate Wrestling- the american martial art

Pyrock

Green Belt
Reaction score
Let's add another 1st place tournament finish. He pinned all 5 of his opponents last Sunday to take 1st place. I may move him up a weight division so he can have more of a challenge. I dont think he learns that much when he blows through the other kids. I dont want him to get too confident. Getting beaten is a great learning experience.

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it uniquely American.

Wrestling is pretty universal; and folk-style is eerily similar to Iranian and Indian folk-wrestling. Eerily similar.

atone48732

White Belt
Reaction score
i know that in the pre-UFC days, sambo was kind of like 'the third style of wrestling' and was only widely known by wrestlers. I train freestyle sambo, but that is more like BJJ/submission grappling in that it is guard oriented and allows all submissions (including chokes) except for the heel hook and wrist locks.

Catch-wrestling is great! I think it is the original western version of judo, and the predecessor of freestyle wrestling.

Catch is awesome, I've been reading up on it and it seems awesome. Don't know if you've heard of this site but here is someone doing research on catch as a form of wrestling and as a martial art

www.scientificwrestling.com

Freestyle, College and HIgh school wrestling are definately American martial arts. I wish I hadn't waited till my Junior year of High school to try wrestling...... *sigh*

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree with the posts that said wrestling isn't a useful for self defense as BJJ... I think wrestling is excellent in a self defense context for the following reasons;

1.) Is more effective than BJJ in terms of controlling where the fight goes (stand up or ground), due to emphasis on take-downs/take-down defense.
2.) Focus on control and dominate top position is better suited to getting back to ones feet if it does go to the ground.
2.a.) While submissions have their place, I am not interested in a mentality of staying on the ground and searching for submissions in a real altercation. Dangerous and stupid IMO... best to get up if you're in a parking lot or facing multiples. In my experience, wrestlers have a better ability to control this than bjj players, although Judo is more in line with wrestling here.
3.) I find the positioning and movement I learned in wrestling to be more suited to working for my weapon on the ground.... i.e. drawing my knife/gun... than what I learn in bjj, although this one is a closer call.
4.) I find the type of movement, positioning and control focused on in wrestling to be better suiting do striking on the ground, than the movement and positions we work in bjj.

I'm a big fan of wrestling (catch wrestling, collegiate wrestling) for MMA, but especially for SD. I find BJJ to be great for both in many respects, but I like wrestling for the above reasons.

Just my thoughts.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There will be injuries if you stick with it long enough (at a high enough level), so you need to know that going in.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There will be injuries if you stick with it long enough (at a high enough level), so you need to know that going in.
Odd that you are responding to a decade-old thread. But your point is correct. Wrestling pretty much a thing for young-uns. How many people over fifty continue to wrestle?

Last time I got on the mat was during a bout of temporary insanity in my early fifties. I'm 66 now and I can still do escrima and wing chun for fun, but I can't handle wrestling anymore. Even "recreational wrestling". Not by a long shot!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wrestling pretty much a thing for young-uns. How many people over fifty continue to wrestle?
I’ve never competed in freestyle/folk style/greco, but I’ve been integrating more and more wrestling into my BJJ over the last decade and I’m also training (and doing a little low-level competition) Sumo at the age of 57.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Odd that you are responding to a decade-old thread. But your point is correct. Wrestling pretty much a thing for young-uns. How many people over fifty continue to wrestle?

Last time I got on the mat was during a bout of temporary insanity in my early fifties. I'm 66 now and I can still do escrima and wing chun for fun, but I can't handle wrestling anymore. Even "recreational wrestling". Not by a long shot!
I agree. Do not think my body would appreciate being picked up and suplexed at this point.