Colin Powell Endorses Obama

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both sides are lining up their endorsements. Powell's political value though's been low for a while I think.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, although I'm wondering what effect this may have on the Republican former Powell supporters.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will absolutely nothing, people have made up there minds, it is Obama and this country will go down like a marshmellow at a Texas AM bonfire.

Just to be fair it really does not matter because the same thing will happen if Mc Cain gets in.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well actually Bob I think Powell's endorsement is still a good one and he still has some political capital left. Powell has and probably always will appeal to moderates in both parties and independents. That is where I see his endorsement helping Obama.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Both sides are lining up their endorsements.
Yes they are. Anyone who is swayed by someone else's endorsement of a candidate, it just seems like a poor way to make a decision (at that goes for both sides).

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's about time that Powell got off his butt and thought for himself for a change.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes they are. Anyone who is swayed by someone else's endorsement of a candidate, it just seems like a poor way to make a decision (at that goes for both sides).

Congratulations on not thinking like 90% of the country.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Unfortunately, there are a great deal of people who look to leaders and role models to tell them what their opinions are. It is the American way....in this country, if you are famous AT ALL, that somehow gives you the right to go on TV and tell the world what you think about politics, wars, anything you want.....and people will listen.....a lot of people will follow.

At least in this case, the opinion is from a great leader and a very level headed, intelligent guy.

I think it's about time that Powell got off his butt and thought for himself for a change.

I dunno, If you listened to the whole interview, I think that Gen. Powell excels in that area. I have to say that I fully agree with everything that he said and he has his head in the right place.....that's what comes from serving your country for over 30 years - both on and off the battlefield. While his opinion won't sway my vote, I respect him greatly for his opinions.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are a great deal of people who look to leaders and role models to tell them what their opinions are. It is the American way....in this country, if you are famous AT ALL, that somehow gives you the right to go on TV and tell the world what you think about politics, wars, anything you want.....and people will listen.....a lot of people will follow.

At least in this case, the opinion is from a great leader and a very level headed, intelligent guy.

I dunno, If you listened to the whole interview, I think that Gen. Powell excels in that area. I have to say that I fully agree with everything that he said and he has his head in the right place.....that's what comes from serving your country for over 30 years - both on and off the battlefield. While his opinion won't sway my vote, I respect him greatly for his opinions.
Ditto that.

Of course a truly thinking person won't allow someone else to digest news and create thought for him/her - that's "moranic."

I liked what he had to say; he's been my fave republican for some time now. I think he's a fave of most less-than-liberal dems for years.

Do you think he might be positioning himself for a future executive campaign?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he's distancing himself from the whole political scene, and recall him saying he wasn't interested in running, though I may be mistaken.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think he's distancing himself from the whole political scene, and recall him saying he wasn't interested in running, though I may be mistaken.

Yeah, he did say that before ... I wonder if his mind will change. Minds have a way of doing that, you know. ;)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, he did say that before ... I wonder if his mind will change. Minds have a way of doing that, you know. ;)

Yes they do....when I heard him speak, he said that he wasn't interested in running for 2 reasons....1) He didn't feel that the country was ready for an African American president and 2) he felt that he had put in his time, served his country and his family deserved some time now.

The first reason....well, it seems obvious that our next president will be african american. I think that the last 8 years has made us ready for a big change and for breaking trends. So maybe he will come out next election. Honestly, if Obama does well, the Republicans will need a powerhouse to win back the presidency.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know...I expect it'll help. He's still well-respected by (ex-)military.
Respected, yes. Followed blindly, no. His politics are not what earned him the respect that he has, in fact, they lost him some.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score

Some minds don't. The term "diehard" will always have its use. But some do...and I think Bob is probably one of them, in spite of his self modifications with Super Glue. Or "gloo," or however it's spelled.

I don't think Powell's endorsement will have any other purpose than to have other Republicans "come out of the closet" and 'fess up their support for Obama. Expect more.

Elsewhere I listed conservative newspapers, pundits, and politicians that have endorsed Obama. Powell's endorsement comes on the heels of the endorsements of the conservative Chicago Tribune and L.A. Times (of which the latter I forgot to list). These, along with Christopher Buckley's endorsement, all came within a week of this one. This suggest a tipping point might have been reached.

I note too that the Houston Chronicle, Texas's largest daily, announced yesterday that they're endorsing Obama. They supported Bush in 2004. The third largest paper in Texas, The San Antonio Express-News, has also endorsed Obama. They also supported Bush in 2004. To be fair, the Dallas Morning News today endorsed McCain. Yet it does indeed seem that Texas has been messed with.

While not a conservative in any sense other than his anti-Islamic neo-con leanings, polemicist Christopher Hitchens endorsed Obama last week. What is odd about this is that Hitchens is extremely hawkish regarding Iraq, and one might've thought he'd have gone for McCain. Hitchens, however, describes Palin as "a national disgrace." Of McCain and Palin he further writes with his characteristically beautiful, but vicious, eloquence:

"But the difference in character and temperament [Between Obama and McCain] has become plainer by the day, and there is no decent way of avoiding the fact. Last week's so-called town-hall event showed Sen. John McCain to be someone suffering from an increasingly obvious and embarrassing deficit, both cognitive and physical. And the only public events that have so far featured his absurd choice of running mate have shown her to be a deceiving and unscrupulous woman utterly unversed in any of the needful political discourses but easily trained to utter preposterous lies and to appeal to the basest element of her audience."

So those from which we expected the least have done the most surprising of things. The underdog in this race is not who we would have thought it would be four years ago, and certainly not twenty or more years ago.

The zeitgeist has shifted permanently, no matter the outcome.

Regards,

Steve