coach fired for song

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure how old this is but I just saw it for first time.
There are links on the right that tell more about the story this link is to the song
if this has been posted before the mods can delete it

Last edited by a moderator:
Catchy tune.

I am somewhere along the line with one of the comments:
Don't care much for country music, but this song is not bad. What is offensive about it?

true but a coach is still considered a instructor and free speech shold be allowed.
The man has his right to express his views but perhaps the stage would be better than a playing field.
Now would you want to be fired from a job if you wrote a song and preformed it on youtube or at a concert

As is said in one of the links on the right of the song link the man sent out the song in print and a link via e-mail he was not singing it on school grounds.
Those that released him from his job have some shaky answeres as to why he was released

true but a coach is still considered a instructor and free speech shold be allowed.
The man has his right to express his views but perhaps the stage would be better than a playing field.
Now would you want to be fired from a job if you wrote a song and preformed it on youtube or at a concert
Free speech is, allowed, and his bosses have the freedom to say, in print, "You are Fired!" That is how freedom of speech works, they are free to fire you.:)
Sean

Free speech is, allowed, and his bosses have the freedom to say, in print, "You are Fired!" That is how freedom of speech works, they are free to fire you.:)
Sean

I am guessing he was employed in an 'at will' state.

Still, having had a couple of teachers with hardly veiled leftist tendencies, I don't think that should be grounds for dismissal for a coach...

Still, having had a couple of teachers with hardly veiled leftist tendencies, I don't think that should be grounds for dismissal for a coach...
The people in charge of dismissing teachers did.:)
Sean

Sean

Not so much. Freedom of speech protects you from that very thing.

He co-wrote the song on his own time, and used his personal email account when he sent out the lyrics. The school claimed that he was dismissed because of the "racial overtones" of the song. Huh? If you read the lyrics it has no racial overtones whatsoever.

If he takes this to court, I believe that he will win it for infringement of his rights.

Oh, right...
He said something against that thar president of ours...has to be racial, no?

Not so much. Freedom of speech protects you from that very thing.

He co-wrote the song on his own time, and used his personal email account when he sent out the lyrics. The school claimed that he was dismissed because of the "racial overtones" of the song. Huh? If you read the lyrics it has no racial overtones whatsoever.

If he takes this to court, I believe that he will win it for infringement of his rights.
Well, when I was in school freedom of Speech was about Jail or no Jail, but if there is some loophole to jump through, it is by no means a freedom of speech issue.:)
Sean

Well, when I was in school freedom of Speech was about Jail or no Jail, but if there is some loophole to jump through, it is by no means a freedom of speech issue.:)
Sean

They still ought to get their butts kicked:

They make me sound like billi!

All states are 'at will' states, except Wyoming.

Latest Discussions

Back