Civilian defence of a plane

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
She used a pak sao against a live blade - bad technique for the situation, that´s a nice way to impale your own hand.

The terrorist was so compliant he allowed that pak sao to actually send his hand about one foot from the attendant´s neck. In real life that technique would not have sent it away one inch from her neck, and would have angered the attacker.

HE THEN VOLUNTARILY RELEASES HER FROM THE HOLD, without her doing anything. I mean, that was so absurd it is beyond arguing. She didn´t do anything against him, she didn´t even hold his arm - she just turned to face him relying on the fact he would let her go.

She then proceeds to chain punch him, even though his knife hand (with knife) is still dangerously close to her face and neck. But hey, it´s not as if the guy is ACTUALLy trying to do anything nasty in the first place, right?

That defense was not bad, it was yellow bamboo-horrible. It takes the concept of compliant training partners to a whole new level.

A more practical or realistic approach to bladed situations would be to study and learn from say Sayoc Kali or something. Even than, a good teacher would tell you there are no promises or guarentee's if someone attacks you with a knife. Number one thing they will teach you in Kali is that there is a good chance you "WILL BE CUT" in a bladed situation.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
She used a pak sao against a live blade - bad technique for the situation, that´s a nice way to impale your own hand.

The terrorist was so compliant he allowed that pak sao to actually send his hand about one foot from the attendant´s neck. In real life that technique would not have sent it away one inch from her neck, and would have angered the attacker.
While I agree that the video was a bit unrealistic, I dont like addressing realistic changing situations with absolutes. I dont think its realistically training to say for sure what a technique would do to an attacker. Each situation is different, and to say we know 100% what would happen on either side of the attack is unrealistic.

I thought the first technique was a bit questionable but sometimes when you feel your about to be killed, a questionable act can save your life. The last two techniques looked like a quick way to get killed, I just didn't see any control of the weapons or control of the "line of fire" with the gun. Seems the woman was relying on the attacks to take care of the weapons, not a good idea in my experience.

7sm

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
A more practical or realistic approach to bladed situations would be to study and learn from say Sayoc Kali or something. Even than, a good teacher would tell you there are no promises or guarentee's if someone attacks you with a knife. Number one thing they will teach you in Kali is that there is a good chance you "WILL BE CUT" in a bladed situation.

Man, I know nothing about knives, I never studied kali or other weapon arts. BUT I know you are supposed to control the knife hand in those situations, that is just plain common sense, and that is what people who have experience in those arts told me.

Studying Kali would be ideal, of course. But, quite frankly, when I watch that video, I cannot help but wonder - it would be best to study nothing than to practice those moves.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
1) While I agree that the video was a bit unrealistic, I dont like addressing realistic changing situations with absolutes. I dont think its realistically training to say for sure what a technique would do to an attacker. Each situation is different, and to say we know 100% what would happen on either side of the attack is unrealistic.

2) I thought the first technique was a bit questionable but sometimes when you feel your about to be killed, a questionable act can save your life. The last two techniques looked like a quick way to get killed, I just didn't see any control of the weapons or control of the "line of fire" with the gun. Seems the woman was relying on the attacks to take care of the weapons, not a good idea in my experience.

7sm

1) I said not absolutes here. I just pointed out some blatant examples of compliance, and some obvious technical flaws. The moves shown in that video were not in the gray zone of "might", they were in the black zone of "it´s a nice day to get shanked". Specifically, the first technique showed a ridiculous example of compliance, when the terrorist let the attendant go after getting her in a hold with a knife to her neck - for no reason at all. He just let her go and start chain punching him. That is outright suicidal.

2) I saw no control of the weapon in the first technique either.

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
Man, I know nothing about knives, I never studied kali or other weapon arts. BUT I know you are supposed to control the knife hand in those situations, that is just plain common sense, and that is what people who have experience in those arts told me.

Studying Kali would be ideal, of course. But, quite frankly, when I watch that video, I cannot help but wonder - it would be best to study nothing than to practice those moves.

Ever had someone suddenly pull out a knife or 2 on you? What was your first reaction? I'm sure it was different from when someone approached you with their fist. That sudden "panic" reaction you get when someone threatens you with blades is very common in people who are not experienced with knives/swords. Your eyes instantly recognize the glint of an object potential of murdering you. It is like having gun pointed at you.

Studying something like Sayoc Kali will eventually desensatize you to such panic when it comes to a bladed weapon pulled on you. And that is only the top icing of the cake. There is so much more to learning about knives and weapons it is not even funny.

When a knife or blade is involved, you are not fighting to win a fight; you are pretty much fighting for your very life;.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Ed, I'm going for 3 weeks mate. GET IN! May try and get some pics done, are there any areas on here I can post them on???

That would be awesome, 3 weeks holiday sounds like such a luxuary right now but seeing pics would be great. The long flight is what puts me off new zealand, i find i can only just about put up with the 8 hour flight to the states but i'd love to go someday.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
That would be awesome, 3 weeks holiday sounds like such a luxuary right now but seeing pics would be great. The long flight is what puts me off new zealand, i find i can only just about put up with the 8 hour flight to the states but i'd love to go someday.

I find that I sleep for most of it, and depending on the airline, you get a TV in the seat in front of you, which eats away the hours. A good book or two also helps, but I know what you mean. Fortunately, the end destination is more than worth it, we're hoping to emigrate there in a few years, it's THAT good a place.

As for the knife thing, I know for a fact that I'd brick myself in a knife confrontation, and I served in the 2nd Gulf and have seen active combat. Violent confrontation, especially facing someone with murderous intent is particularly difficult to plan for/be prepared for. Obviously doing something like Kali, Escrima etc would desensitise the individual to a blade being produced, but there will always be a healthy adrenaline rush. What does that mean? It means that it's all very well discussing what you should do, but the reality may be something entirely different.

I'd probably (frantically) look around to see if there was anything I could use to provide some/any protection, maybe I'd grab a coat and try to distract the assailant by binding a lead arm with it, a belt, anything. Maybe I wouldn't. Perhaps I'd try and throw something at him, again, anything. I certainly don't know enough knife defence to do the heroic thing of leaping in there and trying to grab his knife hand. As a last resort, if the guy's being kind enough to hold the blade out in front of him, I may try and kick the knife away, who knows. I can't talk with such confidence as I truly don't know what I'd do. The principle of "controlling" the knife hand IS common sense, it's also easier said than done.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
I find that I sleep for most of it, and depending on the airline, you get a TV in the seat in front of you, which eats away the hours. A good book or two also helps, but I know what you mean. Fortunately, the end destination is more than worth it, we're hoping to emigrate there in a few years, it's THAT good a place.

I can't sleep on planes ever.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I think, judging by recent outburts on planes, and the reaction of the passengers --pummeling those that did it-- you wouldn't be alone in responding. After 9/11, anything suspicious gets an immediate reaction.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
For what it's worth, I'm not overly keen on flying, ok once I'm up.

I love flying, i just don't like sitting in a rather cramped up seat, i should go first class!!

Latest Discussions