Civilian defence of a plane

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is regarding his practical use of self defence in hard situations. If you see his moves and punches, he punches destructive rockets. I beleive that any one gets a punch of his in the jaw,he might lose his face bone. What do you expect from a master who trained about 30 years of Wing Chun

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
On holiday to New Zealand on Friday, maybe I should check this out... Although, I'd rather not think about that... :(

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
On holiday to New Zealand on Friday, maybe I should check this out... Although, I'd rather not think about that... :(

Have a good holiday.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's New Zealand mate, that's guaranteed. ;0) Thanks anyway, will bring ya'll something back nice... Lol...

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is so stupid I don´t even know where to start.

OK, the first "defense". Why did he just stay there instead of cutting her open like sushi? I mean, she did what looked like a pak sao against the hand holding the knife, but why didn´t he stab her to death instead of staying there taking those chain punches?

The first thing a reasonably smart human bring will do, when faced with a knife wielding adversary, is run away. The second thing is controlling the weapon, which the girl didn´t do - she just slapped it sideways and tried to blast him away, ignoring the fact that she was in greater danger than before!

I can only hope no one buys into this thing.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
This is so stupid I don´t even know where to start.

OK, the first "defense". Why did he just stay there instead of cutting her open like sushi? I mean, she did what looked like a pak sao against the hand holding the knife, but why didn´t he stab her to death instead of staying there taking those chain punches?

The first thing a reasonably smart human bring will do, when faced with a knife wielding adversary, is run away. The second thing is controlling the weapon, which the girl didn´t do - she just slapped it sideways and tried to blast him away, ignoring the fact that she was in greater danger than before!

I can only hope no one buys into this thing.

Hey Lawyer. My Sifu Mannes just shows a demonstration of controling the weapon, can't you see it?!. Regarding the girl, I don't really understand German which is being said at the begining by the Sifu, but I am sure that my sifu knows what he is showing.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Hey Lawyer. My Sifu Mannes just shows a demonstration of controling the weapon, can't you see it?!. Regarding the girl, I don't really understand German which is being said at the begining by the Sifu, but I am sure that my sifu knows what he is showing.

There is no attempt at controlling the weapon. There is a pak sau directed at a knife blade (which, of course, would result in the WC guy impaling his own hand), followed by the terrorist VOLUNTARILY releasing the girl, followed by a chain punch attack directed at the terrorist.

This is the opposite of a knife defense.

And I hope your sifu presents those demonstrations as what not to do, otherwise he doesn´t know what he is showing.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Frankly, I think the only true way of defending a plane against a mad-man, is by the passengers co-ordinating a general defence and overwhelming the perp. That does mean that some people will most likely be injured/killed, but in this scenario, being attacked with a knife doesn't potentially kill 1, but hundreds on a large airliner.
Serious issues... Not sure what I'd do if I saw it happen on Friday.

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
this has got to be the silliest thing I have seen on this site. I've seen bad kung fu movies that are more credible than that.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Frankly, I think the only true way of defending a plane against a mad-man, is by the passengers co-ordinating a general defence and overwhelming the perp. That does mean that some people will most likely be injured/killed, but in this scenario, being attacked with a knife doesn't potentially kill 1, but hundreds on a large airliner.
Serious issues... Not sure what I'd do if I saw it happen on Friday.

One well trained man can take down one person armed with a knife, specially if the element of surprise is on his side.

But he will have to control the knife hand during the process.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful. Thank you.

-Lisa Deneka
-MT Moderator-

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
It's New Zealand mate, that's guaranteed. ;0) Thanks anyway, will bring ya'll something back nice... Lol...

How long are you going for?

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
WingChun Lawyer said:
One well trained man can take down one person armed with a knife, specially if the element of surprise is on his side.

But he will have to control the knife hand during the process.

No doubt, but at 35000 feet, travelling at 550+ kts, in a pressurised tube, I don't want to rely on just "one" guy being good at any given MA. When there are many lives at stake, and the likelihood is that most are not MA trained, then the same principle applies. I didn't watch the vid, as my PC's pretty rubbish at the minute, but I still think it's the natural course of action that if you were lucky, you'd get maybe half a dozen passengers to jump the assailant. That's another issue though, I would always want to control the knife hand, or if feasible, have removed it from him first.

Ed, I'm going for 3 weeks mate. GET IN! May try and get some pics done, are there any areas on here I can post them on???

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have a photo gallery available for supporting members. :)

Ric Flair

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd say by observing the first example in the clip, it seems very realistic how she reacted as a student of the Wing Chun sciences. I am only referring to her second nature timing based on a lot of training and conditioning. Wing Chun teaches and conditions a lot of sensitivity and "feeeel", plus the fact often in Wing Chun we are taught to learn to relax in such sudden situations. When you first comply with your attacker and remain calm, it creates the ATTACKER to feel less edgy and slightly underestimate you. If you tense up however and start to struggle, this makes the attacker more nervous and desperate to control you. I think the lady air flight attendant had the advantage of sudden "art of surprise/shock" on the attacker thanks in part to her being calm and not tense or struggling against him.

I am not too sure of the results though. I'm having a good hunch she in real life would have been cut at least once. Dealing with a knife wielding attacker is not as what it seems like in most of these videos. Using a knife as a weapon to attack someone is very very effective and deadly. If O.J Simpson (assuming he was guilty lol :) ) didn't have those two knives and was empty handed, chances are his wife and Ronald Goldman would still be alive today.
If prisoners in the prison yards and showers used less "shanks" or ice picks, there would be less murders in jail.
Even the most unskilled person can yield a knife and really injure or even possibly kill a very skilled fighter.

So this video clip to me merely demonstrates and practices a principle or guideline, I don't think the whole thing is written in stone. Just something to consider and even learn some perspectives from.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ric Flair said:
I'd say by observing the first example in the clip, it seems very realistic how she reacted as a student of the Wing Chun sciences. I am only referring to her second nature timing based on a lot of training and conditioning. Wing Chun teaches and conditions a lot of sensitivity and "feeeel", plus the fact often in Wing Chun we are taught to learn to relax in such sudden situations. When you first comply with your attacker and remain calm, it creates the ATTACKER to feel less edgy and slightly underestimate you. If you tense up however and start to struggle, this makes the attacker more nervous and desperate to control you. I think the lady air flight attendant had the advantage of sudden "art of surprise/shock" on the attacker thanks in part to her being calm and not tense or struggling against him.

I am not too sure of the results though. I'm having a good hunch she in real life would have been cut at least once. Dealing with a knife wielding attacker is not as what it seems like in most of these videos. Using a knife as a weapon to attack someone is very very effective and deadly. If O.J Simpson (assuming he was guilty lol :) ) didn't have those two knives and was empty handed, chances are his wife and Ronald Goldman would still be alive today.
If prisoners in the prison yards and showers used less "shanks" or ice picks, there would be less murders in jail.
Even the most unskilled person can yield a knife and really injure or even possibly kill a very skilled fighter.

So this video clip to me merely demonstrates and practices a principle or guideline, I don't think the whole thing is written in stone. Just something to consider and even learn some perspectives from.

She used a pak sao against a live blade - bad technique for the situation, that´s a nice way to impale your own hand.

The terrorist was so compliant he allowed that pak sao to actually send his hand about one foot from the attendant´s neck. In real life that technique would not have sent it away one inch from her neck, and would have angered the attacker.

HE THEN VOLUNTARILY RELEASES HER FROM THE HOLD, without her doing anything. I mean, that was so absurd it is beyond arguing. She didn´t do anything against him, she didn´t even hold his arm - she just turned to face him relying on the fact he would let her go.

She then proceeds to chain punch him, even though his knife hand (with knife) is still dangerously close to her face and neck. But hey, it´s not as if the guy is ACTUALLy trying to do anything nasty in the first place, right?

That defense was not bad, it was yellow bamboo-horrible. It takes the concept of compliant training partners to a whole new level.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
No doubt, but at 35000 feet, travelling at 550+ kts, in a pressurised tube, I don't want to rely on just "one" guy being good at any given MA.

Well, I am certainly not arguing against that.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another mediocre defense against a knife vid. Oh, but this time it's being practiced on an airplane to try to make it look relevant to todays world.

Jeff