CIMA - Which Style's Practitioners Lives Longest

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was doing some research, although the results are fairly meaningless, because I have no family history or causes of death or life styles of any of the guys I looked up, but it appears that Baguazhang guys may just live longest on average...depending on....

Yang Taijiquan average life span: 73

Chen Taijiquan Average life span: 78

Taijiquan Average Life Span: 75 or 85 if you throw in Wu Tunan who lived to 105

Xingyiquan Average Life Span: 80 - Wang Ji Wu lived to 100 years old

Baguazhang Average Life span: 83 or 99 if you throw in Lu Zijian who is still alive and allegedly 116

This however is not all of the guys that trained these 3 styles and as I find more I will add more.

But for the most part Taijiquan guys of the past tended not to live to long. Most Baguazhang guys lived to a rather old age except for Cheng Tinghua who was killed during the Boxer Rebellion at or near 52 years old.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That is what I thought too when I started this but, other than the odd 106 year old, there are/were more really old Baguazhang guys than really old Taijiquan guys

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought since Zhang San Feng was immortal Taiji was the winner. But Dong Haichuan raised from the dead maybe Bagua is the winner.....
To bad Xingyiquan does not have any immortals in their history. :angel:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I thought since Zhang San Feng was immortal Taiji was the winner. But Dong Haichuan raised from the dead maybe Bagua is the winner.....
To bad Xingyiquan does not have any immortals in their history. :angel:

Well they might....but they are spending to much time training and fight to talk about it.... you have loads of time to talk when you go slow or walk in circles :D

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh... just do Luk Hop Kuen... best of all three worlds (so I'm told & have heard) and therefore you should out live the planet...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about the secret art of Xue Fu?

You beat me to it.

Hey Xue, let us know when you kick off, then we'll know how long Xue Fue people live.

Of course I am Number Two! in Xue Fue! So I'll send out a bulletin as well.

Going back to the original post, how do you list those "averages", me wonders out loud. Average length of life of any taiji practitioner? Or just the famous ones? 'Cause there's a WHOLE LOT of them out there and I'm not at all sure how you could track and tabulate them.

I think this is just looking at specific examples of those who got famous. It in no way is an accurate way to measure a realistic average lifespan.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You beat me to it.

Hey Xue, let us know when you kick off, then we'll know how long Xue Fue people live.

Of course I am Number Two! in Xue Fue! So I'll send out a bulletin as well.

You know we can't actually tell them how old we REALLY are :EG:

Going back to the original post, how do you list those "averages", me wonders out loud. Average length of life of any taiji practitioner? Or just the famous ones? 'Cause there's a WHOLE LOT of them out there and I'm not at all sure how you could track and tabulate them.

I think this is just looking at specific examples of those who got famous. It in no way is an accurate way to measure a realistic average lifespan.

Actually all I can find not just famous, but I will admit itis much easier to get the dates on the famous guys.

In reality the averages are meaningless, famous or not, without knowing their family history and studying their life style beyond the fact they trained CIMA it is really not much more than a number.

But I will say that in a discussion with my sifu about Taijiguys dying young he said he felt it was that many of them did not believe in doctors and fully believed all they needed to stay healthy was their Taijiquan

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But I will say that in a discussion with my sifu about Taijiguys dying young he said he felt it was that many of them did not believe in doctors and fully believed all they needed to stay healthy was their Taijiquan.
Oh yeah, I've heard that before. I know of one overweight woman who proudly announced to the class "Tai Chi gave me this body!" EastWinds knows this kind of person.

The idea of Tai Chi's replacing doctors and common sense health practice reminds me of the old joke about the devout guy who did everything he could to convince God to let him win the lottery, when God finally answered him with "Hey, help me out a little -- buy a ticket!"

Some Tai Chi people let themselves go, and expect that Tai Chi will save them. They should buy a ticket.

(There's nothing wrong with Tai Chi, but there's a heckuva lot wrong with Tai Chi cultism.)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I've heard that before. I know of one overweight woman who proudly announced to the class "Tai Chi gave me this body!" EastWinds knows this kind of person.

The idea of Tai Chi's replacing doctors and common sense health practice reminds me of the old joke about the devout guy who did everything he could to convince God to let him win the lottery, when God finally answered him with "Hey, help me out a little -- buy a ticket!"

Some Tai Chi people let themselves go, and expect that Tai Chi will save them. They should buy a ticket.

(There's nothing wrong with Tai Chi, but there's a heckuva lot wrong with Tai Chi cultism.)

Very true, but my sifu was not talking about people training it today, he was talking about the old guys that are no longer with us. Now if you look at Yang Chengfu he was very heavy... but Chen Fake was not nor others of the Yang family before and around the time of Chengfu and many that died young back then were not over weight... but when they got sick... it was not the doctor but Taiji they turned to... or at least that is why he feels they died so young.

But there are multiple reasons any of these guys may have died young, disease, Cultural Revolution, war, fighting, boxer rebellion, etc. However there does seem to be more older Bagua guys than anyone else. However without further study into the men themselves all you can really say is that they were more well known, or they were more willing to talk or maybe they had more money or maybe the ate better or they just had better genetics or maybe it is Baguazhang

But there is a crossover group as well and I have not yet looked at that. Crossover meaning those that trained Bagua and Xingyi or Bagua, Xingyi and Taiji and I have not even looked at Yiquan yet and I know Wang Xiangzhai live to 78

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very true, but my sifu was not talking about people training it today, he was talking about the old guys that are no longer with us. Now if you look at Yang Chengfu he was very heavy... but Chen Fake was not nor others of the Yang family before and around the time of Chengfu and many that died young back then were not over weight... but when they got sick... it was not the doctor but Taiji they turned to... or at least that is why he feels they died so young.

But there are multiple reasons any of these guys may have died young, disease, Cultural Revolution, war, fighting, boxer rebellion, etc. However there does seem to be more older Bagua guys than anyone else. However without further study into the men themselves all you can really say is that they were more well known, or they were more willing to talk or maybe they had more money or maybe the ate better or they just had better genetics or maybe it is Baguazhang

But there is a crossover group as well and I have not yet looked at that. Crossover meaning those that trained Bagua and Xingyi or Bagua, Xingyi and Taiji and I have not even looked at Yiquan yet and I know Wang Xiangzhai live to 78

I dunno, tho. these numbers don't sound so impressive to me. Both of my grandfathers, and one grandmother lived to 90 or older. I've got numerous other relations (some more distant than others) who lived well into their 90s. None of them did this kind of training.

I think the human body has a lot of potential, and there are a lot of variables that come together in one's life to ultimately decide how long one will live. 78 just isn't that old, in my opinion. To talk about truly long life, and attribute it to something like martial arts training, I think I'd need to see consistent lifespans in the 90s or older. Otherwise, we are just talking about the fairly ordinary lifespan range that many people reach, anyways.

Of course these numbers may seem more impressive a couple hundred years ago, when medical knowledge was less well developed.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I dunno, tho. these numbers don't sound so impressive to me. Both of my grandfathers, and one grandmother lived to 90 or older. I've got numerous other relations (some more distant than others) who lived well into their 90s. None of them did this kind of training.

I think the human body has a lot of potential, and there are a lot of variables that come together in one's life to ultimately decide how long one will live. 78 just isn't that old, in my opinion. To talk about truly long life, and attribute it to something like martial arts training, I think I'd need to see consistent lifespans in the 90s or older. Otherwise, we are just talking about the fairly ordinary lifespan range that many people reach, anyways.

Of course these numbers may seem more impressive a couple hundred years ago, when medical knowledge was less well developed.

Well there is currently a Bagua guy in Beijing that claims to be 116 and he may actually be 116 and a Taiji guy got to 105. But the average numbers based on the life expectancy of today is not all that impressive but in the 1800 it was...or at least I think it was.... I really should look up the average age of Chinese males around the same time periods that most of these guys lived

CrushingFist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well there is currently a Bagua guy in Beijing that claims to be 116 and he may actually be 116 and a Taiji guy got to 105. But the average numbers based on the life expectancy of today is not all that impressive but in the 1800 it was...or at least I think it was.... I really should look up the average age of Chinese males around the same time periods that most of these guys lived
My grandma is 97yrs old currently no diseases thanks god. She has never practiced MA lol, but she grew up in the country side and farming and house wife was all she did.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you look at the average life span of say 100 years ago, you have to consider the infant mortality rate. So many died in infancy and childhood that it brought the average life span way down.

Whether tai chi, pa kwa, hsing i, wing chun or any of the other martial arts add even an extra minute to your life, I look at the quality of life they bring.
I remember being at a tournament something like 30 years ago and they had this 85 year old Chinese woman come out and perform her tai chi for the audience. She was in the top of the bleachers. She kind if trotted down the bleachers, walked out to the middle of the gym, went through her form, bowed to the audience, smiled and trotted back up the bleachers and sat down.
For all I know, she's still around somewhere and practicing tai chi.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
And then there's George Burns. who lived to be 100. He was always seen with a cigar and a drink. Someone asked him the secret of his longevity and he told them that if he knew he was going to live this long, he would have taken better care of himself.

Latest Discussions