Chung Do Kwan Certificate

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said the WTF was an association/Federation.

You actually said "The largest kukkiwon certified association is the WTF". They aren't Kukkiwon certified.

That's a correct statement. There is no WTF affiliate that is not Kukkiwon certified or certifiable.

What is a "WTF affiliate"? WT (ex-WTF) only has Member National Associations as it's members. It doesn't have affiliates, it doesn't have dojangs, it doesn't have individuals as members.

I suggested anyone go to a school or association that is a part of the WTF

Schools can't be part of the WTF. They can have a route to WTF competitions through the official WTF MNA in their country, but they aren't part of the WTF.

because they will have the opportunity to receive a kukkiwon Dan. Just like with the Kukkiwon, not anybody can join them, they have to find a school that is affiliated with the Kukkiwon to get certified.

Schools don't need to be "affiliated" in any way with Kukkiwon, a Kukkiwon 4th Dan or above individual, whether they have a school or not, can request to have a KMS account. They can then certify anyone else within their country up to one dan below themselves, without needing a school or being part of a WTF MNA.

I don't exactly know what you're trying to refute?

I'm only trying to refute the inaccuracies in terminology, because we should all be clear and correct or future generations will continually find it confusing.

If an association practices WTF Taekwondo, they also promote through the Kukkiwon.

Again, sorry but this is incorrect. WTF Taekwondo isn't a martial art, it's a sports rule set and international governing body. Associations don't practice WTF Taekwondo, their members practice Kukkiwon Taekwondo (or Kukki-Taekwondo) and compete using WTF rules.

Associations can also practice WTF rules for sports competition, but give out their own dan certificates (e.g. USAT or any association that just chooses to use kwan dan rank).

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If an association practices WTF Taekwondo, they also promote through the Kukkiwon.

Is this true? I've never thought about this question before. I know there are a lot of individual schools that practice Kukkiwon (WTF) style taekwondo, and they don't promote through Kukkiwon. There are even a couple schools in my neighborhood that practice the taegeuk forms but don't provide Kukkiwon certificates.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
Is this true? I've never thought about this question before. I know there are a lot of individual schools that practice Kukkiwon (WTF) style taekwondo, and they don't promote through Kukkiwon. There are even a couple schools in my neighborhood that practice the taegeuk forms but don't provide Kukkiwon certificates.

Yeah, what I'm talking about specifically is the schools that are licensed to use the wtf logo. There are some, like my school, that practice Taeguk that are not kukkiwon certified. But if a school is wtf certified and attends wtf tournaments or are active in wtf Taekwondo, they obviously provide kukkiwon certificates, otherwise they aren't allowed to be in said tournaments etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, what I'm talking about specifically is the schools that are licensed to use the wtf logo.

Licensed by the WTF? They allow WTF MNA's to use the logo but not to sub-license it to dojangs without them specifically contracting directly with the WTF. This is in the WTF Trademark Bylaws.

http://worldtaekwondo.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WTF_Trademark_Bylaws_May_2015.pdf

But if a school is wtf certified

Which they cannot be. If you believe your school to be "WTF Certified" can you please post a picture of the certificate from the WTF.

For example, British Taekwondo (the WTF MNA in Great Britain) has the following statement in their logo usage guide:

However, BT clubs are members of BT. Any use of the logo must not say or imply that they are not members of or directly affiliated to any of the following and:  World Taekwondo Federation... -- http://www.britishtaekwondo.org.uk/...kwondo-—-Guidelines-for-Use-of-Logos-2016.pdf

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps Master Covert in Canton MI, Olympian Tae Kwon Do - Home
or Master Miles. Calling Master Miles......

Hi Master Wright! Hope all is well! I infrequently check MT-I miss you guys but have been very busy with work, et al.

GM Covert is with the USCDKA and Master Jensen has already suggested that the OP could join that fine organization.

I am posting because as of 7/1/2017 the Chung Do Kwan certificates will bear GM Park Have Man's signature. Like many other CDK instructors, I received a letter from GM Park explaining that upon GM Uhm's death, he became the Kwan Jang. We fully support GM Park and the Chung Do Kwan!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, what I'm talking about specifically is the schools that are licensed to use the wtf logo. There are some, like my school, that practice Taeguk that are not kukkiwon certified. But if a school is wtf certified and attends wtf tournaments or are active in wtf Taekwondo, they obviously provide kukkiwon certificates, otherwise they aren't allowed to be in said tournaments etc

These things are not nearly as related as you think. You can give KKW certs while teaching Palgwe forms. You can go to WTF-style rec tournaments as a TSD school. I'm almost certain you can do ITF TKD, and still be a USAT member and compete at the national/international level.

KKW gives dan certificates. WT(F) oversees Olympic-style sport TKD. "WTF-style TKD" is a common colliqualism, and (in my experience) most KKW-style schools hang up a WTF flag in the dojang, but technically "WTF" is not a style of TKD.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm almost certain you can do ITF TKD, and still be a USAT member and compete at the national/international level...

I could be mistaken but I *think* Hangastar (the website that you use to register as a competitor for USAT events) requires you to enter a Kukkiwon or USAT dan number. That having been said, for a fee I believe you can convert your ITF dan into a USAT dan -- now that USAT has started issuing their own dan. So technically you're still correct -- an ITF dan can compete in USAT events, as long as they do that one preliminary step.

(When I registered to be a USAT ref I had to provide my Kukkiwon dan number and upload a scan of my dan card or certificate. But I've never registered as an athlete on Hangastar.)

https://www.usat.hangastar.com/login.aspx

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe ITF and ATA can both convert to a USAT dan cert for a fee, maybe $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions