Chotoku Kyan

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, He was as instrumental in the development of karate as Itosu, he has been sighted as being one of the greatest teachers of Shuri type karate.
His Legacy has lived on through the many famous teachers he was master to.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
the sad note in Kyan's history is that one of the greatest karate masters died during the battle of Okinawa in a cave.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, I checked. While it is true that Kyan lived in the area where some fierce battles were fought and Kyan lived close-by to a strategically important bridge (then again, I guess all bridges have strategic value), the problem in claiming that Kyan died in a cave during the battle of Okinawa is two-fold. First and foremost, the Battle of Okinawa was fought from 18 March to 23 June (according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa). Now Kyan, on the other hand, died 20 September 1945 and Japan had already surrendered on 14 August (ok, officially that was the armistice), so why would he still be living in a cave? Just in case? Highly unlikely.
The second thing is that according to Nagamine Kyan was evacuated to the city of Ishikawa, so again the "died in a cave" story sounds more and more like a myth.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, I checked. While it is true that Kyan lived in the area where some fierce battles were fought and Kyan lived close-by to a strategically important bridge (then again, I guess all bridges have strategic value), the problem in claiming that Kyan died in a cave during the battle of Okinawa is two-fold. First and foremost, the Battle of Okinawa was fought from 18 March to 23 June (according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Okinawa). Now Kyan, on the other hand, died 20 September 1945 and Japan had already surrendered on 14 August (ok, officially that was the armistice), so why would he still be living in a cave? Just in case? Highly unlikely.
The second thing is that according to Nagamine Kyan was evacuated to the city of Ishikawa, so again the "died in a cave" story sounds more and more like a myth.

Other sources say that Kyan died of starvation after the war. I have also read that it was by choice and he basically went on a hunger strike so to speak bcause of the outcome of the war. It was not due to there being absolutely no food available.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
According to the DVD Zenpo Shimabukuro did Kyan died of starvation because of the lack of food and him trying to help others. True it was after WW2 but not long after.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I was misinformed. I for one thought he passed away in 1944, second. I did read that he died of starvation. What a terrible way to go. Thanks for clarifying.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have also read that it was by choice and he basically went on a hunger strike so to speak bcause of the outcome of the war

Let's think about that for a minute. Kyan's father was a high-ranking official in the court of the king of Okinawa. The japanese effectively stripped his family of the titles when they "dethroned" the king. Now do you think it is likely that Kyan would've held such sympathies for the japanese as to go on a hunger striker? I sure don't think so.

Latest Discussions