Chotoku Kyan

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been looking into Kyan Sensei and was wondering if anyone knows if he had children. Everything I have read never references his children. Any help would be great.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello all. I have been looking into Kyan Sensei and was wondering if anyone knows if he had children. Everything I have read never references his children. Any help would be great.

Rob

I unfortunently do not have any knowledge on that topic, BUT, I would be very, very, very interested myself in what you find out!

If I could go back in time and learn directly from any of the old masters, I think my Choice would be Kyan Sensei.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
All of the historical information that I have found on Kyan Chotoku makes no mention of children. It mentions his wife, but no children. If he did have children perhaps they did not do karate.
In most historical accounts he apparently liked to visit brothels quite often. So, perhaps he had some children that were not recognized as his own, or not.
There is a great article on Kyan on the Hawaiin Senekai website.

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for both of your replies. All the articles I have read have only mentioned his wife. I have also spoken with several others who have studied history and they have no idea wether he had children or not. The reason I find this interesting is to see if he did have children if they had an interest in his art.

Rob

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've done some research, asked some of my instructors, and as far as they know Kyan did not have any children, or, did not have any children that pursued martial arts in anyway.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of the historical information that I have found on Kyan Chotoku makes no mention of children. It mentions his wife, but no children. If he did have children perhaps they did not do karate.
In most historical accounts he apparently liked to visit brothels quite often. So, perhaps he had some children that were not recognized as his own, or not.
There is a great article on Kyan on the Hawaiin Senekai website.

Yep, I understand that visiting brothals and bars were considerd part of the coriculem of his students by Kyan. He was not a aparantly a chaist saint who did with out plesures and lived a spartian type life style, and did not aparently advise others to do so either.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for both of your replies. All the articles I have read have only mentioned his wife. I have also spoken with several others who have studied history and they have no idea wether he had children or not. The reason I find this interesting is to see if he did have children if they had an interest in his art.

Rob

yep, I have found no mention of children in what I have been able to find on Kyan.

gspell68

White Belt
Reaction score
I met Kyan’s great-granddaughter a couple of times while stationed in Colorado.
My karate teacher from the early 1990’s was once married Kyan’s granddaughter.
His name is Skip Ettinger and in the late 1960’s while in Okinawa he was a student of Zenryo Shimabukuro, who was a student of Kyan.