Chong Shin Kwan?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much represents everything bad about martial arts.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
My first style/system was Chong Shin Kwan under Sensei Randy McNemar (now retired) and Sensei Bill King (still active). From McNemar, I learned the basics of karate (and as little Tae Kwon Do as he could get away with teaching) Judo, and Jujutsu as well as a bit of Kobudo. From Sensei King, I trained in Iaido, but could have learned Aikido as well. At both Senseis' dojos, the arts were generally taught seperately. Karate/Tae Kwon Do were taught together, usually 2 nights a week and both dojos. Judo/Jujutsu were taught together at Sensei McNemar's dojo, but he was generally careful to explain which techniques were jujutsu, which were judo, and which were common to both arts. Aikido was taught as its own art at Sensei King's dojo, as was Iaido.
As far as Roger Jerritt is concerned, I only met him once at a tournament and at that time, he was busy running the tournament so it was only a "Congratulations" to me, then a yellow belt. The website is a front for the organization and is meant to give general information for people who do not know much about martial arts. As far as Roger Jerrit saying he created Chong Shin Kwan from 5 Korean Martial Arts, he, like many masters I have encountered, probably did not think that his audience knew anything about the origins of martial arts, or just misspoke and was surprised to get caught in his mistake. My guess is some of his higher ranks were 'honorary' as opposed to fully earned, but I cannot say for certain. I do know that the Aikido taught in Chong Shin Kwan has been passed down from Shinhan Kevin Blok's Chodokai Aikido Federation International which is part of the Yoshinkai/Yoshinkan in Japan.

Why do you say this?
Pretty much represents everything bad about martial arts.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are many "Greats" who have thought outside the box and created a new and improved system. It is however those who claim all sorts of High ranks from God knows where, or they claimed that they were the originator, that gives the Martial Arts a bad name.
But just like with everything else, when it comes down to it they get caught.
The person I feel for is the ones who did not know nor did they investigate the system they were interested to the full extent.
As the saying goes "E caveat emptor" let the buyer beware.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First off, if it is supposed to be a combination of various Korean styles, why do the instructors refer to themselves as Sensei and Shihan? Those are terms for Japanese instructors. Red flag right there.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First off, if it is supposed to be a combination of various Korean styles, why do the instructors refer to themselves as Sensei and Shihan? Those are terms for Japanese instructors. Red flag right there.
Blame the media. How many Chinese Stylist say that instead of "Sifu", because that is what media has labeled all Martial Arts Instructors.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do they refer to theselves as Sensei and Shihan or is that what the media refer to them as?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From the looks of it, they refer to themselves as Sensei and Shihan, despite teaching a "Korean based" art. Again, red flag right there.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
(coincidentally, that's how I found this forum. I was looking to see if I could find anything on the Chong Shin No Kun form for the staff).

This form sounds like something originating from the school itself. This is not an indigenous bo form to the Korean arts. Do they they tell you the translation of the name?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've visited Van Bushnell's school in Alabama, several years ago. In a nutshell, it's a hybrid system that uses aspects of Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo, and Karate.

Their classes were conducted much like any other Karate or Tae Kwon Do school would, and from what I saw, the instruction was pretty solid. Some of the kata practiced in there were Tae Kwon Do Poomse, while others were from Okinawan / Japanese Karate.

They don't really call themselves strictly either a Korean or Japanese style of martial arts. They simply say that they teach Chong Shin Kwan.

Since it's Roger Jarrett's system, and since he formulated it with both Japanese / Okinawan / Korean arts (and has ranks in several systems), I really see no stinkers about any of their instructors using Japanese titles. For that matter, they could call themselves instructors using Korean titles, and it wouldn't change anything.

Oh yeah, and the folks I met there were cordial and friendly. :)

Latest Discussions