" Chinese Wrestling "

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ohhhhhh. Some I can understand but some others make me wonder why the ban. It would only improve ones skills to defend against it.. As much as I don't like ground fighting, my skills won't decrease because I'm defending agait. Is it a sports issue or a safety issue that they banned it?

Leglocks was a Safety issue. The single Leg Takedown was for comp reasons.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If people read sun tzu. 90% of it is deceit. When it comes to war/fighting, you have to know how to deceive your opponent, otherwise no matter how much more powerful you are, they can deceive you and win.
And in keeping with the idea that wrestling (Chinese or otherwise) is really just a manifestation of the natural world (evolution between fighting apes and all that), it's funny how a lot of people look at wrestling through their own personal lens. And why deception is a key element for victory: we're all so easy to fool.

However, I'd caution everyone here to consider that for some people, wrestling isn't natural, it's inborn. It's a kind of fire that burns inside somebody. Right down to the Frank's Red Hot I just drank out of the bottle, because it's Friday, and Friday is leg day.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leglocks was a Safety issue. The single Leg Takedown was for comp reasons.
Hmmm how do you feel about leg locks vs SLT in practice or comp? I am always a little afraid of a new guy actually going too hard and giving me a life changing injury. I’m not a skilled grappler, so I’m out of my depth on this topic.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm how do you feel about leg locks vs SLT in practice or comp? I am always a little afraid of a new guy actually going too hard and giving me a life changing injury. I’m not a skilled grappler, so I’m out of my depth on this topic.

SLTs are just takedowns, no biggie.

Leglocks are a different matter entirely. I would recommend only doing them with a skilled instructor or practitioner until you’re used to them. I would never recommend two novices doing them unsupervised. If you’re dealing with someone you’re not familiar with, simply tell them “no Leglocks” for that particular roll. If he ignores your request and starts slapping heel hooks and knee bars, I wouldn’t work with that person anymore.

I tend to tap to Leglocks quickly (maybe a little too quickly) because I worry about future mobility and my knee isn’t in the best condition. There are cases of elite competitors having long-term knee damage from the practice, so there’s definitely some risk involved. However, they definitely have a major place in modern grappling and self defense, so I wouldn’t avoid them.

HeiLong123

White Belt
Reaction score
I am so proud I saw a few Chinese fighting in UFC and doing well fighting as MMA

This is 2022, world of MA changed in the 90s. What is the 80s? You fought in Chinese stuffs in the 80s!!!!

He fought in MMA? those are nothing. Show me the ground game.

go challenge in UFC. This is what matter.
Pretty strong opinion for someone that didn’t contribute anything to the fight game as a martial artist.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
SLTs are just takedowns, no biggie.

Leglocks are a different matter entirely. I would recommend only doing them with a skilled instructor or practitioner until you’re used to them. I would never recommend two novices doing them unsupervised. If you’re dealing with someone you’re not familiar with, simply tell them “no Leglocks” for that particular roll. If he ignores your request and starts slapping heel hooks and knee bars, I wouldn’t work with that person anymore.

I tend to tap to Leglocks quickly (maybe a little too quickly) because I worry about future mobility and my knee isn’t in the best condition. There are cases of elite competitors having long-term knee damage from the practice, so there’s definitely some risk involved. However, they definitely have a major place in modern grappling and self defense, so I wouldn’t avoid them.
Thanks for the reply. I saw someone get their knee injured pretty badly from an SLT. Two white belts. Young, big, aggressive vs. 40 something not in great physical condition. An audible pop. Likely MCL and or meniscus tear. It definitely worries me a bit. I’m 51 and my knees are still pretty good, I want them to stay that way. I train and teach gung fu several times weekly, but my schedule precludes as much grappling practice as I would like. It’s fun learning BJJ as a rank beginner, but I hate the gi. How do you feel about no gi BJJ for total beginners?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If people read sun tzu. 90% of it is deceit. When it comes to war/fighting, you have to know how to deceive your opponent, otherwise no matter how much more powerful you are, they can deceive you and win.
Sound like a good plan to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I saw someone get their knee injured pretty badly from an SLT. Two white belts. Young, big, aggressive vs. 40 something not in great physical condition. An audible pop.
I always make younger people calm down before wrestling with him. I try to set the pace low so that they calm down lol. If I can keep it at low intensity level then it makes it easier to work the techniques and it keeps from being about winning or getting the best out of someone. I do the same for striking as well. For me personally I wouldn't wrestle with someone who is "too aggressive on the first date" lol.

But seriously I've sparred with people who were aggressive and I don't like it. At that point I might as well fight all out.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw someone get their knee injured pretty badly from an SLT.
Chinese wrestling as a "sport", the ruleset prevents one person from falling on top of the other person (for the safe issue). This is why Chinese wrestling doesn't have ground game.

One time when my teacher wrestled with his opponent, his opponent digged his fingers into my teacher's upper leg and cause some bruise mark. When my teacher threw him, my teacher fell on top of him on purpose. After that round, my teacher's gang and his opponent's gang got into a group fist fight.

In Chinese wrestling, the rule make it safe to play. This is not allowed (drop weight on your opponent).

keegan-leg-block.gif

This is allowed (roll over your opponent's body).

my-leg-block-get-back-up.gif

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I saw someone get their knee injured pretty badly from an SLT. Two white belts. Young, big, aggressive vs. 40 something not in great physical condition. An audible pop. Likely MCL and or meniscus tear. It definitely worries me a bit. I’m 51 and my knees are still pretty good, I want them to stay that way.

This is part of the reason many Bjj schools have their novice students begin the roll from their knees. The possibility of injury from rapid takedowns is a real thing. You have to train takedowns though, so you just gotta be very careful.

I train and teach gung fu several times weekly, but my schedule precludes as much grappling practice as I would like. It’s fun learning BJJ as a rank beginner, but I hate the gi. How do you feel about no gi BJJ for total beginners?

I think it’s a great idea. Nogi teaches you how to use the natural handles and grips of the body (which imo is better for general grappling and self defense). It’s also much faster paced, which I feel improves your reaction time and increases your overall grappling sensitivity. Finally, Rash guards and shorts or workout pants are FAR cheaper than gis, so that’s great for a beginner who doesn’t want to drop $100+ on a uniform.

I actually prefer nogi to gi, so I’m a little biased.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Functional martial arts are those that are effective in real-world situations and can be applied in self-defense scenarios. Quality teachers are those who have extensive knowledge and experience in their art, have a strong focus on safety and proper technique, and can effectively teach and communicate their knowledge to their students.
When choosing a martial art to train in, it is important to research the art's history, philosophy, and practical applications to determine if it aligns with your goals and needs. It is also important to research potential teachers and schools to ensure that they have the necessary qualifications and experience to teach the art effectively.
Overall, the key to success in martial arts is to choose a functional art that aligns with your goals and needs and to train with a qualified and experienced teacher who can guide you on your martial arts journey.
........ all due respect... is this a ChatGPT answer? Has that vibe!

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anything to injure your classmates is not allowed!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never mind, just realize it's OLD post. Please delete this.

Latest Discussions