chinese wooden bench form; style?

e_speedygonzales

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
does anybody know about this style? i think it is in Jackie Chan's drunken master, but i don't know where to find it.
I've tried internet everywhere. does anybody no anything about this weapon?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am guessing that like many of Jackie Chan’s movies he was just looking for an interesting fight scene. He has also used a ladder, a bag of concrete, and a refrigerator door.

I do not know of any Chinese form for a wooden bench or any Chinese style the even utilizes one for training as a weapon.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The horse bench is one of the weapons taught in Choy Lay Fut. Dunno if it's in any other styles or not.

chris lomas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There are also bench forms in some Lineages of Hung Gar and Mok Gar. They are good fun for conditioning:)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chris Lomas & Journeyman hit it.

CLF & Hung Ga for sure. It seems to be a southern weapon primarily. Never seen it from the north, but that doesn't preclude it being found in the north.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Okinawans got nothing on the Chinese when it comes to converting daily tools into weapons.

I'm currently working on the Bathroom Sink set, complete with toothbrush and water glass...

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Wooden Bench Rules. I'm glad to see people discussing it. Like Flying Crane said, leave it to a chinese system to develop such a weapons at hand skill. I'm sure that a bench like used in these arts and in Jackie movies were very common, and the skills to use it in defense were needed indeed when such skills were developed. COOL STUFF! Love it. PEACE

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was reading a little bit about the bench a few years ago in one of the Martial Arts rags. Many weapons will help you develop strength and power thru practice. But the bench is one of those things that you really need to be strong first, to even begin training with it. Definitely not a weapon for everyone.

I suppose we will start seeing the Modern Wushu people using benches made out of Balsa Wood, and flipping them 20 feet in the air and catching them one-handed...sort of defeats the whole purpose of training with the weapon, developing tremendous power and strength by training with a heavy implement. That's always been my beef with the use of lighter and lighter weapons. The training begins to lose a lot of integrity and becomes downright silly when they become mere toys and stage props.

Latest Discussions