Ever heard of this?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was in high school, (a million years ago) there was a KF school at a TKD tournament I went to. They stuck out like a sore thumb for one reason. They were very talented MA-ists, but the name of the style threw everyone off. It was taught by Americans. It was "a modified style" called Muk Fuk Kung Fu. I'd never heard of it before (or since). I thought it was a rather unfortunate choice of names for a style for the midwest USA in the mid 80's.

I've wondered about it for a long time. Can anyone give me any insight on this one? It was a serious name & I'm seriously interesting in knowing more.

Thanks

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It was "a modified style" called Muk Fuk Kung Fu. I'd never heard of it before (or since). I thought it was a rather unfortunate choice of names for a style for the midwest USA in the mid 80's.
Thanks
It is indeed an unfortunate choice of names to choose from. It would be hard to take the school or any one studying there seriously.
"Where do you go to learn Kung Fu?"
"uhh, the Muk Fuk School of Kung Fu"
"...... bwahahaha ha ha... good one man... no, seriously where do you study?"

I've never heard of it... wish I could've helped.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry no.

Is the spelling correct?

Also the name sounds and looks like Cantonese, which would say southern style, but that is a far as I can speculate.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry no.

Is the spelling correct?

Also the name sounds and looks like Cantonese, which would say southern style, but that is a far as I can speculate.

Sadly yes, the spelling (& pronounciation) is correct. I actually asked the instructor because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't pronounce the way it was spelled on their uniforms. But it was Muk Fuk.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sadly yes, the spelling (& pronounciation) is correct. I actually asked the instructor because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't pronounce the way it was spelled on their uniforms. But it was Muk Fuk.

Closest I can get is
Mok Gar -Mok family style kung fu

There is also a Muk Wu Village near Hon Kong.

Another question, was the instructor Chinese? If so I have to bow to his pronunciation. But what little I know about Cantonese says it would be pronounced more like either Mook Fook or Mok Fok (Where the O is short)
Is it still possible to contact the instructor?

It is possible that it is a little known family style. I will check more when I get back to my home. I have some old CMA books there that talk about obscure styles, I will check and see if it is mentioned.

In this case I am guessing the best way to find out what it is would be to have the actual Chinese characters.

Latest Discussions