Chinese Sword Art Book List.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking to develop a comprehensive listing of quality books on the Chinese sword arts. Anyone have any recommendations?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bob
The only book I know of (in English) off the top of my head that deals specifically with Chinese weapons is

Ancient Chinese Weapons, Second Edition: The Martial Arts Guide
By Yang Jwing-Ming

And I have not yet read it so I do not know how good it is.

If it helps the Chinese Broadsword is called a Dao and the straight sword is a Jain.

I did see a couple weapons books in China but I do not remember the title (and I had to ask my wife to translate that) but they were written in Chinese.

There is an author that wrote a lot of books specifically about Chinese weapons but it appear that outside of Beijing they may be hard to find but again they are not in English.

Also I just thought of this "Chen Zhenglei" has written about Taiji sword in one of his books but it is not a book specifically about Chen taiji sword.

Hopefully someone else can help better than I, to be honest I would like to read a book on Chinese sword arts.

kaustabh

White Belt
Reaction score
I have read two books on chinese swords, both from YMAA by Dr Yang Jwing-Ming. I am impressed with both of them.

Northan Shaolin Sword, and
Taiji Sword, Classical Yang Style.

I am eager to know about more books on the sword. Thanks for this thread.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Art of Chinese Swordsmanship - A Manual of Taiji Jian by Zhang Yun
ISBN 0-8348-0412-3

and of course the classic

Taiji Sword and Other Writings
by Chen Weiming - Translated by Barbara Davis
ISBN 1-55643-333-6

Both can be recommended

Very best wishes

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings All,
I would agree with all of the about mentioned books. I have them all. I would like to suggest these two:

Chinese Swordsmanship .The Yang Family Taiji Jian Tradition.
ISBN 0-9743999-4-9

A Practical Guide to Test Cutting for Historical Swordsmanship
ISBN 978-0-9743999-5-9

Both books are authored by Scott M. Rodell. This is a link to ordering information: http://www.sevenstarstrading.com/booksvideos/cuttingbook/

Get free shipping for the month of July by adding the word shizhan to your order form (in the coupon box).

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Master Zhang Yun has just released his book: The Complete Taiji Dao: The Art of the Chinese Saber. While I have never, ever recommended a book I have yet to read... this is a first! Based solely on the authority of his first ground-breaking book, The Art of Chinese Swordsmanship: Manual of Taiji Jian , I can wholeheartedly recommend this new publication. While I await the arrival of my copy, I just wanted to share the good news! Amazon has it at a fabulous discounted price: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Taij...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249310603&sr=8-1

I can hardly wait for mine to show up in the mail!!!

jonpalombi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
While I have never, ever recommended a book I have yet to read... this is a first! Based solely on the authority of his first ground-breaking book, The Art of Chinese Swordsmanship: Manual of Taiji Jian , I can wholeheartedly recommend this new publication. While I await the arrival of my copy, I just wanted to share the good news!

Well Folks,

As is my nature, I have waited until my second read-through this fascinating book, The Complete Taiji Dao: the Art of the Chinese Saber, to give a definitive proclamation. I find this publication both, brilliant and pivotal in it's importance! Granted, being a big fan of Master Zhang Yun's first masterpiece, The Art of Chinese Swordsmanship: Manual of Taiji Jian, I am obviously an easy-going critic. Sifu Zhang Yun was one of Grand-Master Wang Pei Sheng's (Wu Family taijiquan) closest disciples. It's no wonder that this book is so powerful? Even so, this book is a wonderfully easy read, chock-full of clear photo-illustrations and quite a wealth of valid information. I give it two thumbs up! Overstock.com has it at an unbelievable price! Check out this link: http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-Complete-Taiji-Dao-Paperback/3481145/product.html?keywords=The%20complete%20taijidao:%20the%20art%20of%20the%20Chinese%20saber&searchtype=Header

You certainly won't be disappointed in this top-shelf martial arts publication. No complete library, of a seasoned Chinese sword enthusiast, should be without this tremendous learning tool (in it's esteemed company). I am more than pleased with my experience delving into this book's most charming depth.

Last edited:

mrchan

White Belt
Reaction score
there is a book called "sword imperatives". its written by wang, ju rong and wu, wen ching. its available at the following site. www.waydragon.com/store.html
I havent read it myself but i own copies of "kung fu elements" and "qi gong empowerment" which were also written by wu, wen ching. those 2 books were cowritten with liang, shou yu. i have found the latter 2 volumes extremely helpful with my training. so i would assume that "sword imperatives" would be of the same quality. if anyone checks it out let me know how it is.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Latest Discussions