Change to TAGB!!!

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
My instructor went for his 2nd dan a couple of weeks ago with an ITF organisation. He was told that his style of TKD was not what was wanted to liner. ( He didn't do sign wave right). He joind the ITF from another organisation.

So he has decided he is going to change his club to a TAGB club.

What are peoples opinion of the TAGB?

I know they are ITF style but don't come under the ITF. Is this the right thing to do? His reason for this is because he wants to progress.

Thanks for any info any one can give.

KickFest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TAGB is the Taekwondo Association of Great Britain. I was with UKGT and saw the TAGB at some of the ITF competition events. They were doing the Chang Hon forms and standard ITF sparring rules from what I remember. I'm not sure how they're ITF style but don't come under the ITF? Maybe someone with some more recent experience can clarify.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe the TAGB does not use sine wave movement, concentrating more on hip twist, which indeed is the far more common technique for most tae kwon do students. I really think the ITF has marginalized itself with all the political splintering and to a lesser extent, this sine wave technique. Most TKD people I know have never even heard of sine wave and when they see a clip of it on the Internet, they generally say, "What the heck?!"

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
My instructor went for his 2nd dan a couple of weeks ago with an ITF organisation. He was told that his style of TKD was not what was wanted to liner. ( He didn't do sign wave right). He joind the ITF from another organisation.

So he has decided he is going to change his club to a TAGB club.

What are peoples opinion of the TAGB?

I know they are ITF style but don't come under the ITF. Is this the right thing to do? His reason for this is because he wants to progress.

Thanks for any info any one can give.

Well, first of all I don't know that I would've joined the ITF if I wasn't sold on - or at least had an open mind about - performing techniques they way they do. I don't know all the details about what happened, of course, but if your instructor was testing with the ITF for II dan he should've been told what to expect as far as performance of techniques was concerned. He should've also have been training under an ITF instructor or Master, or AT LEAST have attended a few seminars before hand. I'm all for engagements before marriage (so to speak) so I don't really understand what the problem would have been at the time of the examination.

You didn't mention if your instructor passed his test or not so I will assume he did (being told your techniques are too linear sounds like a critique for a student to give them something to work on more than it sounds like a sorry you've failed comment). If this is the case then he would have plenty of time before testing for III dan to get used to sine wave, the performance of tuls, etc. Seeing as how he had decided to join the TAGB thi smay be a mott point, of course. I would hope that if he does make this move he would take the time to familiarize himself with both the organization and the way in which they perform techniques so there isn't a replay of what you described.

As for wanting to progress being the reason he's joining the TAGB, well, everyone should want to progress in the MA's. I would imagine that would be possible in the ITF, too, but ultimately this is a decision he has to make for himseld. It should depend on his ocmfort level with the organization, the people he will be dealing with from it, the technical aspect of things, costs involved, etc. I'm sure there will be some changes he has to make if he joins the TAGB, too. I'm more inclined to say hold fast for a bit and see how things go before making any sort of move, but that's just me.

BTW, the ITF does NOT do sine wave to the exclusion of hip twist. Both are necessary to generate power as Gen. Choi has stated in his encyclopedia. If you ever get a chance to train with GM Choi, Jung Hwa; Master Wheately; Master Rai or any of the other ITF masters you will see this in action. Same goes for former ITF'ers such as GM Hwang, Kwang Sung and GM Chuck Sereff. Sine wave + hip twist = ridiculous power.

Pax,

Chris

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick point... when you say he wants to 'progress' do you mean as in rank/grades or as a martial artist?

If its the former, then associations are go for this, as long as you follow their rules and what they want, if its the latter IMO they are better off left alone as they stifle true progression by forcing 'their way'!

Also, like Chris said, why did he do a grading under an organistation if he's in disagreement with what they wanted!!! Doesnt really make sense to me! There must have been reasons for him joining the ITF as opposed to other orgs in the first place, so it makes sense to understand you`d have to comform! I'm wondering if he changed orgs because maybe they failed him perhaps!

Im not having a go at your instructor just that Ive seen instructors/clubs go from one org to another in search of the one that fits them because they feel this need to belong to something bigger than their school.. thats fine and for some they find it.. others never will as they are all restructive in one way or another!

Stuart

Stuart

Latest Discussions