spining-jumping kicks

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a night last night!! Sambunim cam from a panameican eliminatori competition were he saw the new electronic hogus and a lot of new kicking technics and he wanted us to perform spining jumping kicks yesterday basically spiningjumping round house kicks to the midsection and the face.

I was hard for me, my overweight didn't llowed me to perform well, I really s...ck believe me!!! and my parthner was a ver tall teen who literlly flew like butterfly and stung like a bee. I tried to do my best but... I really could not. The simple kicking tecniks are not as dificult damn!!

Well it's a time mather, I'm not a young kid anymore!! That's why I like my power punches and my simple trusting kicks, nothing fancy but I feel moe secure performing power kicks, maybe not so fast but if I catch you......

Manny

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's cool to learn new techniques and try them out, but stick to what's effective.

Spinning jumping kicks have their place, but you have to pick and choose when to use techniques like that.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I here you Manny. I, too, am a big guy and I often struggle wioth the fancier kicks. That being said, I've succesfully worked a few basic jumping spinning kicks into my arsenal. Folks just don't expect a big guy to go airborn. i use them a surprises .

I train them by doing lots of lower body work in the gym (swuats, deadlifts, etc.) to build strength and trying to lower my bodyfat while building muscle. It's been a long hard road, but it's paying off. I'm gettting better height when I jump and I'm kicking harder than ever too. :)

What I'm saying it's doable and there's a benefit to have them in your arsenal. Not to the exclusion of strong basics, but like I said "as a surprise."

Peace,
Erik

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem, being a big guy I find that the jumping spinning kicks are not good for me. Bluekey88 has it right, it does surprise people when I do a jumping back kick or a jumping, spinning roundhouse. I do not do them very often but when I do anything can happen.

Back when I used to spar my favourite trick was to do a spinning, jumping roundhouse the moment the match started. I didn't hit much but it scared my opponent to see all of that weight airborne and spinning. It certainly made them a little more nervous during the match and they were always watching for that kick.

We may not be able to float like butterflies but we can kick like mules and putting your opponent through the window is one of those "match winning moves" that people talk about.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mnnnnn don't wana say it but.... yes the weight problem, I just can't reduce size and weight, it's very hard for me, my work is a desk one (sedentary) , with some stress I only work out twice per week and I like to eat.

I will return with my dietician (again) and tried once more.... I really can't recall the times I've been on a diet, 130 kilograms (285 pounds) is not good, is not good......

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny keep the faith brother and one day you will be where you want to be.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny,

Here is how I came down in weight from 185 to 165 (although I'm back up to 170!! Rats!)

In the moring at work (I to sit all day at a PC), I get toast (no butter) and coffee (it's free!)

About 9AM I stop the coffee and get water and munch some Almonds (and those almonds ain't cheep nowdays.)

At noon I have 98 percent fat free ham and bread. Water is the drink of choice.

About 2 PM I much some more almonds and drink iced water.

I work out right after I leave work. This kills some appitite.

When I get home, I eat whatever my wife has on the table unless it's a 'gopher' night. That is 'go for' it yourself. Then I eat my favorite kid food, peanut butter sandwich and milk (yes us karate-gunfighters eat peanut butter sandwhiches.)

When I eat I don't stuff myself. In fact, if I feel full, I STOP. It does not matter what else is on the plate. I STOP! Enough is enough. Push the plate away when you are not hungry anymore. Overeating is alot of ones weight problem. Just if you are not hungry anymore, stop!

Before bed a bit of milk. And that's that.

I work out at TKD/SBD twice a week. Once a week I workout alone on the bag. And once a week pure weight lifting. Yes a minimum of 4 times a week.

On weekends I have a coke or two, maybe a beer and a snack.
Anyway, that's how I dropped my weight off.

Deaf

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny,

Here is how I came down in weight from 185 to 165 (although I'm back up to 170!! Rats!)

In the moring at work (I to sit all day at a PC), I get toast (no butter) and coffee (it's free!)

About 9AM I stop the coffee and get water and munch some Almonds (and those almonds ain't cheep nowdays.)

At noon I have 98 percent fat free ham and bread. Water is the drink of choice.

About 2 PM I much some more almonds and drink iced water.

I work out right after I leave work. This kills some appitite.

When I get home, I eat whatever my wife has on the table unless it's a 'gopher' night. That is 'go for' it yourself. Then I eat my favorite kid food, peanut butter sandwich and milk (yes us karate-gunfighters eat peanut butter sandwhiches.)

When I eat I don't stuff myself. In fact, if I feel full, I STOP. It does not matter what else is on the plate. I STOP! Enough is enough. Push the plate away when you are not hungry anymore. Overeating is alot of ones weight problem. Just if you are not hungry anymore, stop!

Before bed a bit of milk. And that's that.

I work out at TKD/SBD twice a week. Once a week I workout alone on the bag. And once a week pure weight lifting. Yes a minimum of 4 times a week.

On weekends I have a coke or two, maybe a beer and a snack.
Anyway, that's how I dropped my weight off.

Deaf

Thank you Sir.

In Mexico we have only three pricipal meals, the breackfast at around 8 am, the main meal is about 2 pm and the supper at around 7-8 pm.

Yes, I have food disorders, stress makes me eat and I need to manage this.

I will se my dietician, last year he helped me to drop about 18-20 pounds, but I was a dumb *** I feelt that only with TKD classes could achieve my goal so I drop diet.

Diet is vay hard on me but I have to try once more, need to lose bacon.

Manny

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
practicing things like jumping, jumpkicks, rolling on the ground, acrobatics, will always make you lighter on your feet not to mention agile.
practicing spining kicks will definately make your more usual kicks even better.

that type of approach is probably the fastest way to achieve great kicks.

yesterday at mma training while training kicks and knees, i felt like i was close to death...but i know that it'll get easier and better provided i keep at it.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach a family-oriented class and I've noticed the kids (i.e. everyone under 35) like spinning and jumping kicks while the older students (i.e. most of the rest of us) have to be careful.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will se my dietician, last year he helped me to drop about 18-20 pounds, but I was a dumb *** I feelt that only with TKD classes could achieve my goal so I drop diet.

Same here Manny. I also thought just working out would drop all the weight. Not so! Nearly worked myself to death and just little drops in weight.

Like Charlie Brown would say, "Eat less, exercise more", except it's "eat right, and exercise right".

Deaf

Latest Discussions