Chanbara?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone out there do Chanbara?

Me and my wife have many of the weapons used in that martial sport, and she calls on her extensive SCA fighting to teach a class using them. Was just wondering if anyone here participated in thier sanctioned events and the like.

Thanks,

JeffJ

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As a martial sport, Chanbara isn't usually discussed here much. It isn't really a sword art per se.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
As a martial sport, Chanbara isn't usually discussed here much. It isn't really a sword art per se.

Why isn't it? It uses a representation of a sword, or other weapons, and it's combative. What disqualifies it from being a sword art?

JeffJ

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We beat each other sensless with lightly padded weapons... which seems what this is, except with a fancy marketable name and overpriced gear...?

I may be wrong and there is more to it then that, but that's the impression I get of it.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps as long as we all keep it straight that this thread is about Chanbara which has been called a "sport" by the OP (Originating Poster), then we can get on with the discussion.

We are all on a martial path. Let's not let elitism get in the way of productive conversation, hmm?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Anyone out there do Chanbara?

Me and my wife have many of the weapons used in that martial sport, and she calls on her extensive SCA fighting to teach a class using them. Was just wondering if anyone here participated in thier sanctioned events and the like.

Thanks,

JeffJ
I do not do Chanbara. I wonder if anyone else out there has?

What goes on at Chanbara events? Sparring? Tell me more about it, please. :)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arnisador ... tell me ... have you ever practiced Chanbara?

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, in a couple of weeks, I'll be down in Kokomo to watch a school that teaches actual Chanbara. Should be interesting. Unfortunately I won't be able to participate, but it should be educational regardless.

I'll let you all know my impressions of it. The school is run by a Goju Ryu practitioner I have nothing but respect for, so I'm expecting to see some good stuff.

JeffJ

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have done a little Chambara and have to say it is nothing like a sword art. You do not have to have any sort of training, just grab a boffer and go at it. People are trying to learn how to use boffers, not swords.

But it is a hell of a lot of fun and a good workout. I would much rather do 30 minutes of it than 30 minutes of running or aerobics. It is not a sword art for all the fun it is.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What the videos show would lead me to believe there is some training involved. I'm sure some people just pick them up and beat each other, but I imagine there is more too it then that. Same as a person picking up a katana and waving it around isn't really doing kenjutsu.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can try and pull in your training, but my experience has been it's mostly just speed and wacking.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
nah, we do weapons sparring, although from the looks of things ours are a little more "solid".

At first it might be, but there is a lot of strategy and skill in there, but most of the traditional stuff goes out the window...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MODERATOR NOTE:

The posts in this thead regarding "sparring" have been split off here. Please keep this thread on topic.

Lisa Deneka
MartialTalk Super Moderator

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Danna Abbot has produced some entry-level training videos for Chanbara, which I purchased when I was evaluating different options for adding sparring into our swordwork curriculum. The training for Chanbara involves traditional cuts (watch especially the form for the center cuts), but adds blocking and evasion drills. The weapons themselves have a few problems (they are lighter than swords, not stiff enough to truly block, or 'bind' in a parry), but they represent a reasonable compromise between accuracy and safety.

Chanbara is one approach to adding the sparring element back into sword training. (There are other methods, and I will try to post something on that on the Sword Sparring thread.)

Latest Discussions