Cautionary Tale

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.pa8newsgroup.com/WebApp/....content=/PA8/News/TopStoryList_Story_2713179
Back From The Dead
Stephen Brown had no pulse and no heartbeat. But he was brought back to life by two highly trained Kennett Square police officers who responded to the scene
By Fran Maye
Stephen Brown is alive today because of the training and quick response of two Kennett Square police officers.Brown, 48, was working out at Lawler's Kenpo Karate Studio on West State Street in Kennett Square Feb. 17 when he suddenly passed out after going into cardiac arrest.

'He fell like a tree," said Mark Lawler, owner of the studio. "He didn't even put his arms out."

Brown, a black belt, was in excellent physical condition and had been working out at the karate studio for the past 18 years. The workout this particular night, Lawler said, was vigorous. Brown did the exercises with no problem.

Apparently, he had a quadruple-bypass at the hospital. Although being overweight and making poor choices in food can be bad choices, sometimes things like this even strike the healthiest of us. Glad he's going to be OK.

Me, I'm fat and eat unhealthy food, but I do get a checkup every so often. Not a bad idea for any of us.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Bill the yearly check up is a part of everyone life or should be. Thanks for the great story.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other part of it is that those portable defibrillators are apparently really great ideas. Glad those police officers had access to one. Some of them are very automated now - you don't need any training to operate it. Just put the electrodes on the victim's chest and turn the thing on, it analyzes and decides whether or not to administer a shock. I hope they become cheap and ubiquitous - I'd love to see one in every house, right next to the fire extinguisher. You DO have a fire extinguisher, right (to everyone)?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Checkups are a necessary thing. Alot of the time, we may not even be aware that there is a problem. And that's the scary thing, to me.

BTW, I have a fire extenguisher, but I haven't seen any portable defib units as of yet...but then, I haven't really thought to look for one, either...definitely wouldn't be a bad investment to make.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have AEDs at work. I'm told they walk you through their use with voice instructions. I haven't had to use one, though, and hope I never do. I agree that regular checkups are a necessity, especially if you have a family history of illnesses like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. I go for various tests twice a year because I have diabetics and heart patients on both sides of my family, thyroid patients on my maternal side, and relatives with other ailments that run in families as well. After reading my family history, a doctor once told me I was "doomed." Great bedside manner, eh? About the only thing that doesn't run in my family is cancer, which I suppose is a consolation of sorts.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy cow, lightning strikes twice!

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/new..._praised_for_quick_thinking_first_aid_action/

QUICK-thinking karate experts who saved the life of a classmate when he had a heart attack while training have been praised for their efforts.
Chris Connor collapsed at a Shukokai Karate session at the Cheshire Martial Arts Centre, Evans House, Norman Street, banging his head on the matted area as he took watched an observation session on October 8.

And here's an interesting bit...

The Shukokai Karate Union demands that all instructors complete a first aid course every three years and around 10 people at the session held a qualification in first aid.

What do you think - good idea or not for instruction staff to receive first-aid training?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our office does have the automated AED's ( near the fire extinguishers, actually) and about 20 folks trained in first aid/CPR/AED.

The dojo my kids train at is considering AEDs and I hope they get them.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All of our black belts are required to get certified in CPR before they test and to keep that certification up to date as long as they are actively instructing students.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you think - good idea or not for instruction staff to receive first-aid training?

I think it's a good idea - my instructor mandates it for all of his students who teach - I keep my certification up to date; I've only had to use it once (a student with cerebral palsy slipped and cut his head open on the door frame) - but that was enough to convince me of the importance of it. I teach at a YMCA - and that was when I discovered the Y's first aid kit consisted solely of bandaids and ice packs; I had more first aid supplies, including gauze, alcohol pads, and medical tape, in the first aid kit I keep in my gym bag, than the Y had in their "kit", which they keep for the whole facility.

Latest Discussions