Canadian Martial Arts :D

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]2yvAqJVNps0[/yt]

Not for no reason, but for a vaild one :)

Suppose you where fighting on a slippery surface (like ice), how would this change your fight strategy?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other than trying to get to more secure footing as quickly as possible, it really wouldn't. I try to keep my feet underneath me as much as possible, which is what you'd want to do on ice to keep your balance.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The main thing would be keeping your center of gravity, I would assume

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good fight, wrong date.

The fight is being promoted as something that happened in 1999, yet Chase is playing for the Hartford Whalers at home. The Whalers played their last home game in 1997. ;)

As far as a slippery surface, Silat accounts for that. Very low stances, coupled with takedowns that will knock your attacker off balance.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bugger... exposed as a Canadian with little hockey knowledge...

Oh well, I could post a bunch more, but things are basically the same in most fights, so I won't. Hockey fighters almost always latch onto the other guy (grab the jersey) whats everyones take on that, would you?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hockey fighters almost always latch onto the other guy (grab the jersey) whats everyones take on that, would you?

I wouldn't---that gripping arm presents a great target for a grab-lock-strike setup---but that's not really part of the the culture of hockey combat, is it! :wink1:

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nor most other fighters culture ;)

I also think it would be hard to do much arm manipulation while getting punched in the face.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Suppose you where fighting on a slippery surface (like ice), how would this change your fight strategy?"

Hmm, interesting question. Unless I was wearing spikes or skates I would come up with a position that's advantageous to me. I think by merely lowering your stance (by bending your knees) you are still vunerable to slipping or being swept. Although you may develop better balance if you train on ice, it still doesn't give you an edge. I remember watching Aikido demonstrations where they fight from sitting(seiza) position - so I'd probably develop a strategy fighting from kneeling/sitting position where I won't fall or be swept. Also it's very different falling on ice because of it's density, fractures happen easier so redirecting force and throws would be ideal. :)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember watching Aikido demonstrations where they fight from sitting(seiza) position - so I'd probably develop a strategy fighting from kneeling/sitting position where I won't fall or be swept.

I'm not too sure about the kneeling/sitting position. that puts you dangerously close to your opponents most deadly weapon, namely his skates! I'm sure he would get fined like nuts, but it might be easy for him to run over your fingers or lift a leg and expose you to the blade.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hapkido and Judo are all about locks and submission kind of stuff. I would most likely try and anchor one in and see how it goes.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nor most other fighters culture ;)

I also think it would be hard to do much arm manipulation while getting punched in the face.

You're supposed to get that in before the other guy has a chance to hit you!

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Hockey fighters almost always latch onto the other guy (grab the jersey) whats everyones take on that, would you?
I think it's twofold:

1) So the guy can't skate to far out of range unintentionally after blasting him in the face. Inertia is fun!

2) I'm guessing it helps with balance to be able to shift weight a little forward onto the other guy.

Me personally, I wouldn't. Then again, I also wouldn't drop the 5' long stick either, but YMMV. :D

Latest Discussions