Can you tell me anything about the logic behind chambering punches?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a few in the organization my son competes in that are pushing for the organization to stop allowing groin contact. Hopefully that doesn't gain traction.

To me, the best thing about allowing contact to the groin is the benefit to the kickers. If you’re a “kicker”, allowed groin contact will make you a better kicker.

Sure as hell will teach not to dangle that kick. Or to pose. And every one of us kickers has gone through a brief period of that pose stage.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed. My point was simply that I think it's exactly the same technique,
In my mind they are similar techniques but not the exactly the same technique. Think of walking. Do you use the same walking technique to walk on sand, on ice, in water, on a log? If they were the same then you would be able to walk the same way one each one of those surfaces.

The fact that you would have to make adjustments to kick after the punch tells you that it's not the same. If the punch was exactly the same then no adjustments would be needed in order to follow up with a kick.

This is something that everyone can literally try for themselves and the difference would be noticed right away.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Think of walking. Do you use the same walking technique to walk on sand, on ice, in water, on a log? If they were the same then you would be able to walk the same way one each one of those surfaces.

Another great point. You guys are giving me so many points to use in a class.

God, I love this place.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my mind they are similar techniques but not the exactly the same technique. Think of walking. Do you use the same walking technique to walk on sand, on ice, in water, on a log? If they were the same then you would be able to walk the same way one each one of those surfaces.

The fact that you would have to make adjustments to kick after the punch tells you that it's not the same. If the punch was exactly the same then no adjustments would be needed in order to follow up with a kick.

This is something that everyone can literally try for themselves and the difference would be noticed right away.
I like that analogy. I don't see them as that different, but I don't think we differ materially in our view - mostly a matter of degree.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't see them as that different,
It just depends on where you look. Start big and everything looks the same. Start digging down into and differences begin to appear.
This is pretty much how I see martial arts and martial arts techniques these days.

Lesson_Animals_levels.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-3_21-8-52.png
    upload_2019-1-3_21-8-52.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 221
OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes it would. In a life or death battle I'd rather be trained in MMA than just about any King Fu ste out there.

Ok, I was a little dogmatic about MMA. That aside, do you agree with the rest of my post?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, I was a little dogmatic about MMA. That aside, do you agree with the rest of my post?
Don't make friends with Hanzou lol.. Just kidding Hanzou. Keep doing you.

Latest Discussions