Can people in safe jobs be better with weapons than martial artists and violence professionals?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A lot less to knife fighting the you are generally taught?

I mean I get my krambit and learn to trap,lock and throw. Then I get my rubber knife out and all I ever did was slash stab and withdraw.
More too it than that. Tempo, Measure, Feints, Draws, footwork... that just scratches the surface and none of it can be learned by being a butcher.

But, I agree that there's a lot of fancy-schmancy low-percentage stuff taught in some knife fighting systems.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for making the effort to do some actual research. Given the OP's track record, I wasn't going bother trying to figure out where he got his "information" from.
I used to work with youth and I guess I still have my Red Alert alarms running. In my job it was one of my duties to spot when a child or teen has a disconnect with reality. The disconnect with reality isn't bad so long as it is addressed. The biggest warning sign was when youth used fantasy to explain reality. I was originally going to just ignore this thread but since their are younger people on MT I thought I better say something in hopes that other teenagers don't make the same mistake that the OP has made in using fantasy to explain reality. It's never a good thing when fantasy becomes the reference point to how the real world works.

I've actually seen the entire series of the Anime Series that the OP is referring to so I can understand where and why he's getting stuff confused. Had he actually done some research on real life butcher then this would be a totally different conversation.

I went back to see if I could find my sources. I was able to find some of them.
The Relationship of Animal Abuse to Violence and Other Forms of Antisocial Behavior
Rhode Island Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals chief says 'most' serial killers and people who engage in domestic violence start by abusing animals. Links to other studies here.

I just hope the next time the OP will use real life references the next time he has a question about what happens in real life. I'm pretty sure no one here would train under a martial arts teacher that uses the anime as a reference for how to fight and train.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot less to knife fighting the you are generally taught?

I mean I get my krambit and learn to trap,lock and throw. Then I get my rubber knife out and all I ever did was slash stab and withdraw.
People say the same thing about fighting with fists but when you actually do fight with fists, you instantly see that that there's more going on than just punching and kicking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
outh and I guess I still have my Red Alert alarms running. In my job it was one of my duties to spot when a child or teen has a disconnect with reality. The disconnect with reality isn't bad so long as it is addressed. The biggest warning sign was when youth used fantasy to explain reality. I was originally going to just ignore this thread but since their are younger people on MT I thought I better say something in hopes that other teenagers don't make the same mistake that the OP has made in using fantasy to explain reality. It's never a good thing when fantasy becomes the reference point to how the real world works. I've actually seen the entire series of the Anime Series that the OP is referring to so I can understand where and why he's getting stuff confused. Had he actually done some research on real life butcher then this would be a totally different conversation. I went back to see if I could find my sources. I was able to find some of them. [URL='http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/14/9/963.short?_ga=1.201028904.763585115.1450086951' said:
The Relationship of Animal Abuse to Violence and Other Forms of Antisocial Behavior[/URL]
Rhode Island Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals chief says 'most' serial killers and people who engage in domestic violence start by abusing animals. Links to other studies here.

I just hope the next time the OP will use real life references the next time he has a question about what happens in real life. I'm pretty sure no one here would train under a martial arts teacher that uses the anime as a reference for how to fight and train.

You do realise that what OP did was how teachers teach basic reading comprehension.

Strategies that Promote Comprehension

images

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You do realise that what OP did was how teachers teach basic reading comprehension.
I don't know what your are talking about or how that even fits. So you'll have to explain that in more detail I'll even promise not to give an opinion on anything that you explain about reading comprehension and how it relates to anime characters being a reference for real life.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know what your are talking about or how that even fits. So you'll have to explain that in more detail I'll even promise not to give an opinion on anything that you explain about reading comprehension and how it relates to anime characters being a reference for real life.

In school If you ever read a book or study a movie you are then asked to identify what themes in real life the the author or director was trying to convey.

So that you don't just watch a cartoon and go OK that was a nice fiction.

So people have used full metal alchemist to discuss real world themes.

Full Metal Alchemist: Science vs Religion | The Artifice

Who are probably not in danger of not being able to separate reality and fiction.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In school If you ever read a book or study a movie you are then asked to identify what themes in real life the the author or director was trying to convey
Been there an done it. Sometimes a story is just a story and it has nothing to do with real life. Not every story, not movie has a theme that reflects back on a real world issues.

If you actually look at the history of science vs religion, then you'll see that the conflict between the two is nothing like what is presented in Full Metal Alchemist. Learn about the history of religion, see how religion has changed from pre-greek and roman gods to modern day religion. Take a look at how religion and science have bumped heads in the past and how people mistook science as witch craft, and how there's killing in the Bible not only by Gods followers but by God. Take a look at other religions and you'll see elements of war in it. For example:
Scar and the Religious Jihad

1st. Learn about what a Jihad is. Jihad is about conquering not about revenge as the article that you listed suggested.

And once again nor sources to real world events were given. Everything reflects back on the anime as the resource for why the author who wrote the article.

When I had to write papers on books that reflected a real life theme, the teacher made me use real world examples of what was going on and what the book may be referring too. I couldn't just assume something was real world. I had to freaking to research about my assumptions of what I thought was really going on in the real word. And I did it without the help of the Internet. Now people have the Internet and still don't research.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Been there an done it. Sometimes a story is just a story and it has nothing to do with real life. Not every story, not movie has a theme that reflects back on a real world issues.

If you actually look at the history of science vs religion, then you'll see that the conflict between the two is nothing like what is presented in Full Metal Alchemist. Learn about the history of religion, see how religion has changed from pre-greek and roman gods to modern day religion. Take a look at how religion and science have bumped heads in the past and how people mistook science as witch craft, and how there's killing in the Bible not only by Gods followers but by God. Take a look at other religions and you'll see elements of war in it. For example:
Scar and the Religious Jihad

1st. Learn about what a Jihad is. Jihad is about conquering not about revenge as the article that you listed suggested.

And once again nor sources to real world events were given. Everything reflects back on the anime as the resource for why the author who wrote the article.

When I had to write papers on books that reflected a real life theme, the teacher made me use real world examples of what was going on and what the book may be referring too. I couldn't just assume something was real world. I had to freaking to research about my assumptions of what I thought was really going on in the real word. And I did it without the help of the Internet. Now people have the Internet and still don't research.

Again not the point. I dont care if the article was right wrong or indifferent.

The point is that people reference fictional works to address real world issues.

And that is not a sign of some sort of mental health issue.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again not the point. I dont care if the article was right wrong or indifferent.

The point is that people reference fictional works to address real world issues.

And that is not a sign of some sort of mental health issue.

The key word here is 'reference', using a work of fiction to demonstrate a real life problem which is not what the OP is doing, he's believing that the fiction is the real world and that is worrying.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea that might strike some of you as downright radical.

How about discussing the topic, instead of the poster?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've actually seen the entire series of the Anime Series that the OP is referring to so I can understand where and why he's getting stuff confused.
I have too, but it was still just a cartoon about a bunch of people doing magic and two kids with daddy issues.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's an idea that might strike some of you as downright radical.

How about discussing the topic, instead of the poster?
The problem is that the original topic and thesis is a confusing mish-mash of unsupported, illogical, and inaccurate assumptions which lead to illogical and inaccurate conclusions which the OP seems unwilling to recognize. That leads to the natural discussion of why the original assumptions were so wrong, how the conclusion ended up being accepted by the OP, and why he's unwilling to accept the input from the experts he solicited with this post.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:
OP

7BallZ

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to work with youth and I guess I still have my Red Alert alarms running. In my job it was one of my duties to spot when a child or teen has a disconnect with reality. The disconnect with reality isn't bad so long as it is addressed. The biggest warning sign was when youth used fantasy to explain reality. I was originally going to just ignore this thread but since their are younger people on MT I thought I better say something in hopes that other teenagers don't make the same mistake that the OP has made in using fantasy to explain reality. It's never a good thing when fantasy becomes the reference point to how the real world works.

I've actually seen the entire series of the Anime Series that the OP is referring to so I can understand where and why he's getting stuff confused. Had he actually done some research on real life butcher then this would be a totally different conversation.

I went back to see if I could find my sources. I was able to find some of them.
The Relationship of Animal Abuse to Violence and Other Forms of Antisocial Behavior

You are aware that I was just using FUll Metal Alchemist because its the primary example of what I could think of so far as this topic goes.

I mean the fact me and my friends were yelling out "********!" years ago because a well-trained soldier such as Elric was getting overwhelmed by a civilian working a safe job. The notion of a "butcher" able to swing his blade ferociously to break defenses of someone trained in martial arts was incomprehensible to my 13 year old self as well as my other friends at the time.

However seeing that real life soldiers, police, and martial artists get killed quickly by people lacking formal training (but physically strong from manual labour and tough lifestyles and actually being part of more daily hands-on violence than most soldiers, cops, and martial arts practitioners) is what reminded me of Full Metal ALchemist.

I didn't even watch the show until I came across the AllExpert question Marc MAcYoung answered about violence professionals killed hit down by ghetto people in surprise attacks while being completely unaware is what reminded me of Full Metal Alchemist (and inspired me to rewatch it). Becuase reading the OP's description about SF dying while walking in the hoods despite having war experience and bouncers dying from sucker punches (despitely frequently putting drunks in a rearchocke from behind) sounded too ridiculous to be true.

However watching FMA and exploring Marc MacYOung's answers made me question many claims about violence professionals being superior to civilians that I and fellow classmates had back in Middle School. I mean looking back with some training I took on butchering and cullinery, its not that ridiculous that someone like Barry can almost kill a hardened soldier like Edward.

Back tot he main topic-my quesiton goes beyond just butchers.

I mean I literally seen RBSD instrucotrs mock the way baseball players swing their bats, saying its only for sport and it'll be ineffective for "real street fighting"

Uhhh most baseball players can hit balls going over 50 MPH and are known to hit so hard with bats that they damge both baseballs and bats and players have been measured has swinging with such force they can crack skulls in less than a second with a baseball bat.

Thats exactly what I'm going about. I'd honestly be more lovely scared of taking a MLB baseball player on than an RBSD instructor who claims he can teach you self defense with bats.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I mean looking back with some training I took on butchering and cullinery, its not that ridiculous that someone like Barry can almost kill a hardened soldier like Edward.
I think you are right. Your training on butchering and cullinery is more than enough to go against these guys.

These guys

Personally I think you should go do a Dog Brothers event and show them up.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are are all these police, military and martial artists being killed? Please cite your sources for all these 'facts' you are posting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who are are all these police, military and martial artists being killed? Please cite your sources for all these 'facts' you are posting.
He cited his source: Marc MAcYoung, who sells self-defense videos and seminars.

It's a dead argument and he original poster isn't going to think differently so I'm just trying to encourage him to put his skills to the test against people who train and fight with weapons. If the OP does that then all of his assumptions about anime and reality will go right out the window.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He cited his source: Marc MAcYoung, who sells self-defense videos and seminars.

It's a dead argument and he original poster isn't going to think differently so I'm just trying to encourage him to put his skills to the test against people who train and fight with weapons. If the OP does that then all of his assumptions about anime and reality will go right out the window.

Sorry, no, he states that many are killed against untrained people, I've asked Marc, he disagreed so I want to know where the OP got his 'information' from.
There is also no such thing as 'cullinary'.

Latest Discussions