Can one learn from instructional videos?

yardmeat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm in two minds about the ability to learn from video/online.

Up until about a week or two ago I would quite have happily said it was impossible to do anything beyond a mimicry of the style. Then I found a website with an ENORMOUS amount of instructional videos. Short 5 minute clips on individual things. I personally am only using it as a reference point for some things I am learning from my Sifu in person.

However, I could easily see someone learning from these. Because differently to most videos, the instructor constantly advises to have a partner to test things on (like a friend in a class learning together) and you can film yourself doing the practice, with a partner again so he can see how you react to another person and preferably from multiple angles. Then he films an individual response showing you where you're going wrong and how to correct it.

I've also known a person to learn Michuan via distance, a similar method for a while, then arranging to pay for their instructor to fly out and give seminars. She's worked very very hard and is making progress. Of course the seminars have helped.

I will agree, there is NO way you will learn martial arts from scratch without some form of professional feedback. Unless you're a freak, or you've had prior instruction and are learning a related system. Can I see someone who has mastered Chen style learning Yang by video? Yes I can. And if they were taught properly originally, they'll probably do it better than most of the Yang guys out there. (Since the average is so low, not dissing those people who really have mastered it, but Yang is normally the 'Health Tai Chi')

But for the general Average Joe with no experience learning from a video? Get somebody to teach you, even by distance and pay to go to seminars every so often.
This is probably the best advice I've seen in this thread so far. I'd really like to learn Yang style, but I haven't had any luck finding a teacher in my area. There are some a couple of hours away. I can't make that trip every week, but maybe I can work out something once a month. There is a teacher in Austin who has video instruction on Youtube to supplement his classes; I'm thinking about seeing if we can set up some sort of video correspondence and a monthly in-person meeting.
Xue Sheng said:
You got very good and rather correct answers, you may have not liked them but the fact is they are right and your not.

If you want to learn form a video go right ahead, frankly I don’t care. Now quit trying to convince people that know better and go watch taiji TV
The only position I am disagreeing with here is that video instruction is absolutely useless. I don't have the option of seeing a teacher a couple of times a week. I freely acknowledge that it would be better if I did. I am considering trying to get a few lessons out of town and using videos between other visits.

If I decide to “go watch taiji TV” I'll be sure to start with the videos that you and others on this thread have suggested.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The only position I am disagreeing with here is that video instruction is absolutely useless. I don't have the option of seeing a teacher a couple of times a week. I freely acknowledge that it would be better if I did. I am considering trying to get a few lessons out of town and using videos between other visits.

If I decide to “go watch taiji TV” I'll be sure to start with the videos that you and others on this thread have suggested.

At best video training is a supplement for training with a real sifu. You will miss much that is taiji by focusing on video learning.

And next time you want to justify a point using Yang Luchan you might want to get the facts straight...or at least as close as it possible.

And you might want to look at post number 3 ;)

yardmeat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At best video training is a supplement for training with a real sifu. You will miss much that is taiji by focusing on video learning.
I've stated this basic point a couple of times now myself, which is why I mentioned training with a real sifu when I can. I have not been able to find any in my local area, but there are some a couple of hours away.

And next time you want to justify a point using Yang Luchan you might want to get the facts straight...or at least as close as it possible.
The only point I made is that, according to Yang tradition, he originally learned Tai Chi by watching. You "corrected" claims that I never made. I never stated that he had no prior martial arts experience or that the story should be accepted as gospel without any skepticism.

And you might want to look at post number 3 ;)
That was the post I had in mind when I said that, if I do end up having to rely partially on videos, I would start with the ones that you and others suggested.

Latest Discussions