can i get some suggestions on training

shogun-sama

White Belt
Reaction score
i have been studying budo taijutsu for less than a year . i wish to learn more about how the body reacts naturally in the context of taijutsu and i hope to gain confidence in my movement. i have trouble letting go meaning i think to much instead of letting my technique flow. any suggestions would be helpful.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offense, but is there a reason for posting the exact same question (literally copy and paste) on multiple MA forums? I've read it today at e-budo, budoseek, and now here.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh and keep training, a year is nothing at all.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Practice. Don't think. Practice some more.

Over-analyzing and over-thinking is something that is a problem in many arts -- and I'm seeing it come up more and more today. The only cure is practice. Wear yourself out, then practice some more.

OP
shogun-sama

shogun-sama

White Belt
Reaction score
not everyone frequents the same forums.i don't want to miss out on some good advise just because someone is not on this forum or that forum.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well then imo the best suggestion is to talk with your sensei if you feel you have a problem. He watches you practice and he can probably explain your issues to you better than a bunch of people on the internet. He (or she of course) should be your most trusted adviser, not us.

gocrywolf

White Belt
Reaction score
The only cure I know for a wandering mind is repetition. When I was having a hard time with this it was because I was thinking about the tech and how to execute it properly. Repetition takes the tech and makes it into something we do subconsciously. When the movements become a part of the subconscious then our concourse mind is not weighed down by thoughts of them. The same is true with fighting in general. When fighting becomes a part of our subconscious then a lot of the fear and hesitation associated with it. In summary keep practicing you still have a lot of time ahead of you before your mind is clear
But, a bit of hope. My teacher would always tell me that the mind is the truest training ground. He would say if you want to be a stronger fighter come back and fight me in a month. But, if you want to be a smarted fighter ill see you tomorrow. He explained this as the difference between skill and physical performance. It takes a long time to make the body different or stronger but you can choose to fight differently and more effectively in a second and become an overall better fighter. Choose to fight differently and more effectively and your training can take great leaps.
I like your idea of posting on many different forums to make sure your question receives the best feedback possible. After all that is what this site is all about right.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have been studying budo taijutsu for less than a year . i wish to learn more about how the body reacts naturally in the context of taijutsu and i hope to gain confidence in my movement. i have trouble letting go meaning i think to much instead of letting my technique flow. any suggestions would be helpful.

Don't let go too much. Contrary to 25 years of popular belief, stiff is better than floppy. Better to work backwards from using too much strength and power than becoming a jelly.

Sanshin should be more like bowling a strike than tickling a chin.

Gregh

White Belt
Reaction score

Shogun , try using kamae in everything you do . Have you seen the gyokko ryu dvd ? This shows you the san shin no kata and applications with weapons . Try to think how to move into these postures as part of your movement in whatever technique you are doing . Practice moving through these postures by yourself and with a partner . If you look at any given technique from the ryuha , you will see that they are moving from posture to posture and this gives the movement strength and stability . Taijutsu isnt called body technique for nothing , so dont try to force what you do , just use your body and move using your hips and legs and not by trying to push or pull with your arms . If you can get away from trying to grab when doing things and just use movement to bring an opponent along , it requires a lot less strength and can easily catch them out . Most people think you need to grab then push or pull to move someone , but if you can attatch yourself to them by holding there clothing or linking limbs , you can move people around a lot better , just by moving your hips or walking . As was said earlier practice makes perfect , so dont stop , the more you practcie the better you will get , greg

asuki

White Belt
Reaction score
don't worry about the cross-post. i am also new and i also tend to over-think.

thanks for posting your question!

asuki

White Belt
Reaction score
Well then imo the best suggestion is to talk with your sensei if you feel you have a problem. He watches you practice and he can probably explain your issues to you better than a bunch of people on the internet. He (or she of course) should be your most trusted adviser, not us.

with all due respect. your forum would not exist if there were no questions and answers.

emiliozapata

Green Belt
Reaction score
if you want to, as you say, learn how the body reacts, then I suggest you hustle down to the nearest judo dojo and partake in some randori. Your mind won't have time to wander!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
with all due respect. your forum would not exist if there were no questions and answers.
You are correct, it appears that shogun-sama has gone else where, such a shame.