Can Drugs enhance your training?

Triangle

White Belt
Reaction score
Anybody use drugs to enhance their training? tea/coffee/relaxation drugs? legal/illegal

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anybody use drugs to enhance their training? tea/coffee/relaxation drugs? legal/illegal

Training while stoned is not an new concept, had came across an article somewhere years back about training to fight in the environment you shouldn't be there in the first place ... like a bar/pool hall. They would get drunk or stone while working out ...

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard some MAists often will train while on ibuprofen. Apparently for them, ibuprofen reduces muscular/joint inflammation to allow for better training. Others I know will take SAM-e to help with their training.

I usually do not take either while I train. I am currently rehabbing from a shoulder surgery, I'm beginning to see their point of view.

Ceicei

OP
T

Triangle

White Belt
Reaction score
anti-inflammitries, , i guess these people are on them for injurys, I was talking relaxation drugs, Ones that give you heightened awareness,
alcohol on the other hand , in small does it may be ok, but if your over the limit you wasting your time,

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
anti-inflammitries, , i guess these people are on them for injurys, I was talking relaxation drugs, Ones that give you heightened awareness,
alcohol on the other hand , in small does it may be ok, but if your over the limit you wasting your time,
Which drugs "enhance awareness?" Some stimulants may keep you going longer, but they really don't do much to blunt the effects of exhaustion or tiredness.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you are suggesting is a really bad idea. You want to be more aware? Work on your focus. You want to be more alert? Sleep properly and work on your focus and awareness.

You want to get coloring books for Christmas the rest of your life? Buy into the idea that drugs will do these things for you.

OP
T

Triangle

White Belt
Reaction score
What you are suggesting is a really bad idea. You want to be more aware? Work on your focus. You want to be more alert? Sleep properly and work on your focus and awareness.

You want to get coloring books for Christmas the rest of your life? Buy into the idea that drugs will do these things for you.

Not those kind of drug man, natrual ones like drinking green tea, smoking herbs etc, in correct does they can do wonders,
A great great grand master owned his own herbal shop back in china 100 of years ago,

IP MAN died of a smoking related illness,

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not those kind of drug man, natrual ones like drinking green tea, smoking herbs etc, in correct does they can do wonders,
A great great grand master owned his own herbal shop back in china 100 of years ago,

IP MAN died of a smoking related illness,

I love the "it's natural, so it must be good" mindset. After all, tobacco, alcohol, cocaine and opium are all natural.

If you want to alter your mind, so it WITH your mind.

In cases such as this, I always wonder (I can't help it, I just do...) if perhaps the posters command of English grammar and spelling is the result of the "wonders" of the herbs they have smoked.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the "it's natural, so it must be good" mindset. After all, tobacco, alcohol, cocaine and opium are all natural.

If you want to alter your mind, so it WITH your mind.

In cases such as this, I always wonder (I can't help it, I just do...) if perhaps the posters command of English grammar and spelling is the result of the "wonders" of the herbs they have smoked.
Arsenic and cyanide are also natural. So is carbon monoxide. Shoot, dihydrogen monoxide is extremely deadly, responsible for about 10 deaths per day, and 100% natural!

OP
T

Triangle

White Belt
Reaction score
Grammer isnt going to help me knock your lights out is it? Im not one for Square mindsets, black and white, there is grey matter,
I dont reccomend any Drugs, Green Tea is a Good for relaxation, And many ogf benifits to Herbal medicine, You should look into chinese medicine practices,

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1339205320.071055.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grammer isnt going to help me knock your lights out is it? Im not one for Square mindsets, black and white, there is grey matter,
I dont reccomend any Drugs, Green Tea is a Good for relaxation, And many ogf benifits to Herbal medicine, You should look into chinese medicine practices,

Threats? So much for the "relaxation" brought on by whatever it is you're smoking, eh?

There is, indeed, grey matter. I encourage people to use theirs, and not screw it up with mind altering substances. Especially when engaging in martial arts.

As far as "chinese medicine practices [sic]", I suggest you put down the pipe and find out how science works. Modern chinese medicine is remarkably similar to western medicine. Why? Because there is actual science behind it.
As far as ancient Chinese medical practices, please provide sources for actual science to support your claims. Anecdotal reports are not science.
And just as an FYI, [sic] is a convention used to indicate that the incorrect spelling and grammar are left in from, and the responsibility of, the original text being quoted. I'd hate for anybody to think that I don't know the difference between medicine and medical...

OP
T

Triangle

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah so what, I dropped out of School when i was 15, Been to Jail 3 times, had 5 Drinking while driving convictions, but that was 10+ years ago, people grow,

simplewc101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

small correction- cocaine is not natural, but the active ingredient in cocoa leaves is. To make cocaine, you must first use gasoline... hmmmm
Alcohol isn't really natural either.. I mean it happens naturally through a chemical process, but it doesn't just grow like that, although if fruit just grew like that, it would be cool.

anyways, I digress. I dont see how using common drugs would enhance your training. I mean if you train hard, then you will be better when you are drunk or whatever.. but i don't see a correlation between drinking or whatever and better wing chun. however, drinking is fun, and wing chun is fun, so maybe I can see how they are related

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my young and stupid days I once engaged in chi sau whilst drunk , my partner was also drunk.
It was only luck that stopped us from being injured that day , I don't recommend it all.

In the Siu Nim Tao form we are trying to develop force via the mind "Nim Lik" or "sense from the brain".
This requires all your powers of concentration , not only in correctly focusing your mental force but also the control of different muscle groups.

Now this is hard enough to accomplish when you are stone cold sober, so trying to do it with a mind dulled by drugs And muscles that have been artificially relaxed is going to be counter productive.

You have to be able to enter the "Siu Nim Tau state" instantly , using only your mind , this ability is honed by constant practice of the form.
Not by using various substances to help you get there.

OP
T

Triangle

White Belt
Reaction score
Drunk or stoned i can still preform Wing chun,

"Quote " You have to be able to enter the "Siu Nim Tau state" instantly , using only your mind ,

Then its a good idea to be in Siu Nim Tau state all the time dont you think?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess if you plan on being high or drunk a lot then you probably want to be prepared for what might happen to you while under the influence. I fail to see how this helps you grow as a martial artist, however.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Is that a threat? Looks like one to me.
:popcorn:

Latest Discussions