Can anyone name this art form please?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I met a young man yesterday that told me he used train in an art but he couldn't remember the name. Basically he was taught that to defend himself he had one chance at one strike to take his oponent down. His stance was to turn his body at a 90 degree angle from where I was squared off, lean really far back on the leg that was farthest from me (looked like he was doing a one legged squat) and prepare to strike with the other leg that was extended towards me. When coming in to strike he kind of shuffled his feet sideways towards me and was suppose to stomp to take out my knee. He said that during his three years of training there really were only about 3 or 4 techniques that they used to help defend themselves. He said that they never worked on opposing people because his master told him that the art was 'so deadly' that they would seriously hurt each other so they only practiced on dummies.

This young man is now in University and hasn't practiced his art for over 7 years now (he quit at 14) but is still under the impression that he was taught so well that he could still defend himself if need be. While speaking with him, he mocked other styles like Judo because apparently while training with his master, they had invited a judo instructor to their school and when the judo instructor was showing them his stuff their master kept seriously kicking this guy in the head to prove to his students how superior his style was. So much for not practicing on other people because of its deadly force.

My eyes really were opened yesterday. I had read about schools that were less then admirable and that taught "deadly, secret techniques etc." but I had never actually met anyone and it truly saddened me to see this young man years later walking around thinking he was safe cause he knew how to defend himself. I am sure there are many art forms out there that can strike once and seriously hurt someone else, actually I am sure all of them probably can, and I could believe that his master was probably a great practitioner of his style but what worries me is that this young man, even years later and without practice, still believes that he can execute his 3 or 4 moves and defend himself.

Please understand I am not flaming anyone's art form here, I was just a little taken back by his insistance about his techniques and I am also curious as to what kind of art form this was and thought maybe someone could name it for me. I apologise for the lack of anymore information but the stance is really the only thing the young man could explain to me.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way the stance was described it sounds like a bad kung fu rip off style. Was it something you had ever heard of and can't remember or had never even heard of?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
The way the stance was described it sounds like a bad kung fu rip off style. Was it something you had ever heard of and can't remember or had never even heard of?
The young man explaining it to me couldn't remember the name of it.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your friend there sounds kinda strange, never heard of a system (an entire) system based on that before.

However, basing an entire system off a few different moves is somewhat realistic, and very doable. Bill Wallace came for a seminar one time, he said that in his entire arsenel of moves, he only used 3 or 4 different techniques. He drilled those techniques hardcore for years and years.

It leads to an interesting thought though. What 4 moves could you drill yourself on primarily that would realisticly enable you to defend yourself in the street? How about in the ring?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TheEdge883 said:
<snip>

However, basing an entire system off a few different moves is somewhat realistic, and very doable. Bill Wallace came for a seminar one time, he said that in his entire arsenel of moves, he only used 3 or 4 different techniques. He drilled those techniques hardcore for years and years.

<snip>
Please excuse my ignorance for not knowing but what system did Bill Wallace train in?

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
I really can't remember, it was a korean system, maybe tae kwon do but don't quote me on that.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

This sounds really odd, he trained in an art for 7 years and can't remember the name of the style????? Only worked on dummies????? Something that may help identify the style... perhaps - did they were gi's or train in shorts, language - korean, japanese... etc. Just some ideas. Please let us know if you find out anything more, now you've sparked my curiousity.

Donna :ultracool

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TheEdge883 said:
I really can't remember, it was a korean system, maybe tae kwon do but don't quote me on that.
I couldn't resist quoting that. :ultracool

If the guy referred to the instructor as the master of the particular style I would imagine the style was just something that someone who needs to be in the bad budo forum came up and made a little money off of gullible young students with. It is, indeed, sad to hear someone living under the false pretense that they are protected by an art that doesn't seem to hold water.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think he's confusing self-defense with martial art. I can see where self-defense can be based on just a few moves, but that hardly makes a martial art. For instance, Bill Kipp's EZ Defense and FAST Defense systems are in fact based on just a few moves (knee, elbow, palm strike), and some basic strategy. But he doesn't claim it's a martial art.

You want my opinion, FWIW? I wouldn't put much stock in the word of a 21 year old who trained when he was a child and quit when he was 14. Obviously, if he hasn't practiced in 7 years, I wouldn't count on it being useful for self-defense either. As for his instructor kicking the judo-ka in the head, if it happened, well, judo isn't a form of self-defense or a martial art--it's a sport.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
Hi Lisa,

This sounds really odd, he trained in an art for 7 years and can't remember the name of the style????? Only worked on dummies????? Something that may help identify the style... perhaps - did they were gi's or train in shorts, language - korean, japanese... etc. Just some ideas. Please let us know if you find out anything more, now you've sparked my curiousity.

No, he trained for about three years, seven years ago... sorry if I mixed anyone up. They wore gi's is my understanding. I just found the whole thing rather diappointing and disturbing. I would hate to think there is a bunch of young men who have trained with this guy, out there ready to take on the world.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nalia said:
No, he trained for about three years, seven years ago... sorry if I mixed anyone up. They wore gi's is my understanding. I just found the whole thing rather diappointing and disturbing. I would hate to think there is a bunch of young men who have trained with this guy, out there ready to take on the world.
Sorry Lisa, I mis-read (my bad, i'm in the middle of painting and the fumes are getting to me!) - even so, i see your point and is his instructor still "teaching" out there ... somewhere? Has he ever had to actually use any of the skills he was trained for self defense purposes? Curious how that would turn out.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would hate to think there is a bunch of young men who have trained with this guy, out there ready to take on the world.

So offer to get on the mat with him. Kick him around a bit for a reality check...

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nalia said:
Please excuse my ignorance for not knowing but what system did Bill Wallace train in?
also known as Superfoot, Mr. Wallace has trained extensively in TKD. you cane usually see him in Century magazines doing splits over 180 degrees on the leg stretching machines, and I believe it's his left foot you don't ever want near you.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I would hate to think there is a bunch of young men who have trained with this guy, out there ready to take on the world.

So offer to get on the mat with him. Kick him around a bit for a reality check...
We did offer for him to join us, he declined citing that he was confident in his ability.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punching people in the ear seemed to be a big thing ;)

Like I said, there are a lot of people running around with similar beliefs, it is kind of amusing sometimes :D

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I've run into this before. This guy is lying. He is either lying to himself and everyone else, or he is lying just to everyone else. Here is what really happened:

#1. He didn't train in anything, and made it all up so he can try to put off that he is this "deadly" fighter to try to be "cool".

#2. He did train in something when he was young, maybe community ed. TKD, and has embellished his training so that he can put off that he is this "deadly" fighter to try to be "cool."

#3. He did link up with some con artist that fed him a bunch of B.S., in which case by now he has chosen to believe the lies out of his his free will despite the logical arguements and proof to the contrary that I am sure he has come across since he stopped training 7 years ago.

In all cases, most likely he is in some way lying or fooling himself based on some inferiority complex or psychological problem that would exist regardless of what kind of martial arts school he decided to go to.

There is no helping him. It is best just to let him live in his own fantasy while you distance yourself from him.

Paul

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very good advice Tulison, I to agree with your entire post this guy is either lying or to self induldge to see the truth.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What worries me most is how the instructor kicked the Judo instuctor they invited.That shows a severe lack of respect and I worry about what kinda attitude that wold foster in the students.That kinda behaviour would be bad enough in a regular dojo, but a bunch of badly-trained students with bad attitudes is just trouble waiting to happen.Not quite as bad as really well-trained students with bad attitudes though.