hos?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
one of my friends visited a gosoku ryu dojo today... he said after every instruction it seemed all the students said 'hos' to the teacher... what does this mean? I wasnt there, but he was wondering and isnt a member so I'm asking for him....

anyone know what this was about?

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
They were probably saying "ous" (rhymes with moose). It is a term used in the Japanese military and some martial arts. It is used as a greeting, to mean "I understand", and is overused in many American Dojos. It is by some considered to be rude or course, and when I was in Japan, only heard it used amongst males. Or course that was 20 years ago, so you might want to check with someone that is over there now.

Ron

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Search for Oss and you can find extensive discussion in the past as well as references to off site sources. I believe it's spelled Osu in Japanese.

Respectfully,

Jeff :asian:

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Samantha said:
one of my friends visited a gosoku ryu dojo today... he said after every instruction it seemed all the students said 'hos' to the teacher... what does this mean? I wasnt there, but he was wondering and isnt a member so I'm asking for him....

anyone know what this was about?
I think it is OSU. There are threads on this subject (found as OSS) on MartialTalk.

- Ceicei