Teaching a Child with Aspberger's

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a nephew who 10 years old. When he was six he was diagnosed with Aspberger's Autism. He is a wonderful, loving young man but has trouble focusing. He tells me he has a "jumbled" brain. Understanding his complications has brought him very far. His Mom and Dad have just recently put him in extra cirricular activities. He was doing soccer this spring and summer and he loved it. I am trying to encourage his parents to put him into some form of martial arts. They don't live here with me so they would have to do their research on their own. I was just wondering what benefits and what type of martial art would be good for him. He needs discipline and definitely is a child of routine.

S

SMP

I work with people who have developemental disabilities and have a psy degree - my advice would not be to look for a specific art form but to look for a great teacher. A good teacher in most arts will be the difference between a challenging and frustrating experience and one that will help the child focus and channel it's energy. Good Luck!

KajuMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My son attends both elementary school and martial arts class with a boy that has Asperger's. Over the past 2.5 years, I've seen a noticeable increase in this boy's confidence level. He is two years older than his brother, who is naturally confident, outspoken, and athletic. Both boys are in the same martial arts class.

The boys' mother, a friend of mine, met with the main instructor before enrolling her sons and informed the instructor about what to expect from her son and also what her expectations were.

Although you can tell that this boy is somehow different, the main challenge from my observation of the class is that the boy can go off on a tangent and start rambling on and on about something else. The instructor is really good about listening for a few seconds and then gently but firmly getting the boy back on topic. The instructor is _always_ patient with this boy (and with all kids), so I agree with SMP that the teacher's attitude and ability to deal with the challenges of Aspergers will be the determiner of success for the child.

The one other thing I noticed is that he can get fairly emotional over things that you might expect another child, enrolled in martial arts for almost 3 years, to brush off. His form and technique aren't great but he's improving and that is what the instructor looks for in the children: progress.

Overall, though, he does not disrupt class and I think he's benefitted from participating. Again, we are fairly close to the family, my son being good friends with this boy's younger brother.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've all posted some excellent observations on children with Aspberger's.

I have a fairly large number of these kids in my school. The parents have heard we won't hesitate to work with children facing these challenges, and they sign their kids up. Still others sign their kids up not knowing of our reputation, and then they don't tell us, feeling their child will be "labeled". I'd rather know up front. I don't consider the name "Aspberger's" a label so much as a reference point for growth.

Other parents haven't had their children assessed. In more than one instance we've encouraged them to have an assessment performed when we've spotted some of the typical behaviors. In other situations the parents wouldn't accept the notion that their child was facing such an issue.

It certainly is important to find the right instructor. For the instructors here, I strongly suggest you work towards being that instructor. More and more children have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (of which Aspberger's is one), and you will eventually get one of those children in your class. If you teach kids in large numbers, you've likely taught a kid with Aspberger's syndrome.

Support resources for martial arts instructors are available. I know of no "on line" ones that I can recommend, but you might see if there is a support group in your town with someone willing to sit down with you and give you some insights. Here in Bloomington we have Indiana University's Indiana Institute Disability and Community, as well as the school of Health, Physical Education and Recreation's Special Education programs. Both have been helpful to me. You might find similar programs in your area.

Parents of these kids can be great resources as well. Some of them have become experts on the topic.

Okay...now let me soapbox. I think martial arts training for children with these issues can have a dramatic and positive impact on both the child and the instructor. You might never get one of these kids to black belt, but the training you provide can improve their motor coordination and their confidence. The environment you provide can help teach them the social skills that they lack.

You have to be direct with these kids, as they don't respond to subtleties. You have to be patient with these kids because their behaviors can indeed be unusual. They can be blunt to the point of seeming mean. They can "melt down" and cry when confronted with the slightest frustrations. The simplest movements can be extraordinarily difficult for them. They'll fail to make eye contact (a big thing in martial arts...get them looking at your nose or ear). They're often hyperintellectual. They often are obsessive. Very often you'll find yourself thinking that old line "does not play well with others."

It'll be one of the biggest challenges you face as a teacher. I think its one that is well worth it.

Gotta go. My kid wants me to take him to the movies....

Regards,

Steve

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I will be passing it on to my Brother and Sister-in-law. Their concern is that he will become frustrated and he may become discouraged when this occurs. He has come such a long way in a very short time and I would just love to see him succeed here as well. I think you are all very right, the quality of the instructor and his patience, effort and time are far more important then the art itself. I agree, Steve, that the Mom's and Dad's of these children are a great wealth of information to any instructor. I will encourage them to speak freely with whomever they decide to train with and to look for an open minded instructor.

T

TonyM.

What works for me. I use the saturation method for learning, ie. if I need to focus,(which can be extremely difficult with the brain carnival going on) I use sight, sound and touch together to capture my attention. Read it, write it, speak it. I break things down in to steps so I can focus on part of it to not be overwhelmed. At the same time I try to remember the objective so I'm not bored. I like things reduced to their simplist components ala Ockham. If all these things are working my memory is almost photographic. (One of the myriad symptoms of Asperger's is Savantism, we remember everything if you can get our attention.) We're also extremely literal people, most subletity and inuendo is lost on us. We Aspys do not communicate with the eyes, so don't try. We will not understand, our brains are not wired that way.
Don't know if any of this rambling is helpfull, but living with geek syndrome for at least 49 of my 52 years on this rock I felt compelled to say something.
P.S. Please don't let some well meaning misinformed doctor medicate this child.

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TonyM. said:
What works for me. I use the saturation method for learning, ie. if I need to focus,(which can be extremely difficult with the brain carnival going on) I use sight, sound and touch together to capture my attention. Read it, write it, speak it. I break things down in to steps so I can focus on part of it to not be overwhelmed. At the same time I try to remember the objective so I'm not bored. I like things reduced to their simplist components ala Ockham. If all these things are working my memory is almost photographic. (One of the myriad symptoms of Asperger's is Savantism, we remember everything if you can get our attention.) We're also extremely literal people, most subletity and inuendo is lost on us. We Aspys do not communicate with the eyes, so don't try. We will not understand, our brains are not wired that way.
Don't know if any of this rambling is helpfull, but living with geek syndrome for at least 49 of my 52 years on this rock I felt compelled to say something.
P.S. Please don't let some well meaning misinformed doctor medicate this child.
A little off-topic, but I must say that you are exactly like me.

When I was younger in school, the teachers thought I wasn't paying attention because I wasn't looking at them. Boy, I proved them wrong. I excelled, with flying colors.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TonyM,

Thank you for your thoughtfull and heartfelt insight into a world that I know very little about. I will pass on your wisdom and experience to my family members as well. My sister in law says it is a lonely world being the parent of a child with Aspbergers and I think she will appreciate your views as an adult dealing wiht Aspberger's. You seem to have come a long way understanding your situation.

:asian:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beau and Tony are the ones you need to pay most attention to since they can tell you their own story.

Steve and people like me teach aspy and auty kids. What Steve said is excellent. Be prepared, as Tony said, to break baby steps into baby-er steps. That doesn't mean you treat them like babies - that means you really have to break some things down further than you ever have, assuming you might coach the child a little.

An excellent teacher is the most imperative key here. And get the parents involved in the program in some way, if possible. They will want to get educated in the martial way to help keep him from getting discouraged.

Best of luck to all!

Thanks, Beau and Tony.

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
Forgive me my ignorance... but what is aspbergers?
There's actually no 'b' in the word, but it's a form of autism. Usually high-functioning people who seem autistic are diagnosed with it.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
deadhand31,

Here is a short definition on Asperger's:

Individuals with AS can exhibit a variety of characteristics and the disorder can range from mild to severe. Persons with AS show marked deficiencies in social skills, have difficulties with transitions or changes and prefer sameness. They often have obsessive routines and may be preoccupied with a particular subject of interest. They have a great deal of difficulty reading nonverbal cues (body language) and very often the individual with AS has difficulty determining proper body space. Often overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells, and sights, the person with AS may prefer soft clothing, certain foods, and be bothered by sounds or lights no one else seems to hear or see. It's important to remember that the person with AS perceives the world very differently. Therefore, many behaviors that seem odd or unusual are due to those neurological differences and not the result of intentional rudeness or bad behavior, and most certainly not the result of "improper parenting".

By definition, those with AS have a normal IQ and many individuals (although not all), exhibit exceptional skill or talent in a specific area. Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté, those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd and can easily become victims of teasing and bullying. While language development seems, on the surface, normal, individuals with AS often have deficits in pragmatics and prosody. Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich and some children sound like "little professors." However, persons with AS can be extremely literal and have difficulty using language in a social context. At this time there is a great deal of debate as to exactly where AS fits. It is presently described as an autism spectrum disorder and Uta Frith, in her book AUTISM AND ASPERGER'S SYNDROME, described AS individuals as "having a dash of Autism". Some professionals feel that AS is the same as High Functioning Autism, while others feel that it is better described as a Nonverbal Learning Disability. AS shares many of the characteristics of PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder; Not otherwise specified), HFA, and NLD and because it was virtually unknown until a few years ago, many individuals either received an incorrect diagnosis or remained undiagnosed. For example, it is not at all uncommon for a child who was initially diagnosed with ADD or ADHD be re-diagnosed with AS. In addition, some individuals who were originally diagnosed with HFA or PDD-NOS are now being given the AS diagnosis and many individuals have a dual diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism.

I pulled it from this website. http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

My knowledge is very limited and my exposure is limited to my nephew. I am sure TonyM or beau can probably give a more detailed answer.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I've said elsewhere, those that have never heard of Aspberger's have no doubt come into contact with people with it. I know a forty seven year old woman who was just recently diagnosed with it.

I've seen speculation that Albert Einstein had Aspberger's...and he does fit the profile from what I've read of his behavior.

The pain of Aspberger's for many children/adults is that their behavior is viewed as a character flaw by those unfamiliar with the syndrome. They're labeled "weird", "geeky", "spaz" or just plain rude...the list goes on. It can be extremly subtle in its manifestations. I know some young adults diagnosed with it whom one wouldn't suspect had it unless they looked closely (and knew what to look for) or who knew what that young adult was like as a child. One young man in particular has blossomed---but this is due to the intervention and hard work of his parents. As a kid he exhibited the classic symptoms mentioned by Nalia. I should mention that he also shows a great deal of coordination when doing martial arts, something not typically exhibited by children with Aspberger's.

Regards,

Steve

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I've seen speculation that Albert Einstein had Aspberger's...and he does fit the profile from what I've read of his behavior.

Wow! This is something I never knew, but now, once I have really started to understand his theories, it makes sense!

This thread has been great. I have a new student who is coming into my dojang who has Aspergers. I was wondering what that would entail and now I have more of an idea.

upnorthkyosa

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Wow! This is something I never knew, but now, once I have really started to understand his theories, it makes sense!

This thread has been great. I have a new student who is coming into my dojang who has Aspergers. I was wondering what that would entail and now I have more of an idea.

upnorthkyosa
It's also known that Bill Gates might have it. Considering the facts I know about his childhood, and how they compare to mine, I'd say it's true.

T

TonyM.

Don't know anything about Bill Gates. Does he have hyperlexic reading and song retention also? How about tree climbing and the odd accents? Light sensitive eyes and the inability to stand out of key music and Fran Dresser's speaking voice or laugh?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TonyM. said:
the inability to stand out of key music and Fran Dresser's (sic)speaking voice or laugh?
That si the symptom of a disease? Then I am avery sick man.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau99 and TonyM,

What kind of support did you get from home, school and other places? I guess I am asking when did you/your family become aware of your disorder? What steps did they take to help you with it? and what other outside programs/support did you have, if any? Was there anything specific that helped you?

Hope these questions aren't too personal, I am just hoping to have a better understanding of my nephew and maybe pass on some wisdom to my family.

Latest Discussions