Cambodgian Stage

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

there exist exchanges between the countries.
1 French association went to the country to follow 1 training course of Sporting Khmer Boxing… Good initiative !
Good exchange and good spirit !

I specify that they are awaited the country by the best boxers of the country… the boxer out of blue tee-shirt (before that with the tee-shirt green PUMA) is the best boxer of the country…!
All are present, accessible, humble here… by ratio of Dollars: just 1 assistance for French has to progress !

Big respect ........................ ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wkgt_regard-cambodge-mars_extreme

( I greet them ;)

respect,
Khmo.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Khmo!!

Thank you very much for the video, I enjoyed it a lot it was very interesting.
Finally I get to see what training in Cambodia looks like. They are very nice people, both the Cambodians and the French. I hope this can make Khmer Boxing more known and appreciated because surely it deserves more attention. I am going to post this video in another forum.
Also very nice to see how the French trainer brought his students to see the historical places and taught them some history, even nicer they did some charity to poor schools and people, that's very educative especially for the younger boxers.

Last edited:

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is some vintage eh and chey fights.

Eh Poutong vs andrus krin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWucGvb964&feature=related

Eh Poutong ko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4poqY98wmU&feature=related

Eh fought alot against foreigners in cambodia. When I last trained and interviewed with him, he was 25 years old and fighting between 70 -73 kilos, he stated his record was 148 fights total(140 wins-4 draws-4 losses)

He fought more recently against ben case an american(and who helps out and appears in col amants bare knuckle vol 2 dvd) but eh was not the same as his weight had increased and he seemed to have lost the fire:

Part 1

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFIRqVjmT40&feature=related

Chey Kosal vs a fighter from turkey even though it says Russian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHcYgt4emY&feature=related

My good friend in the CABA is announcing on the above fight. Chey is another one of the top fighters in cambodia and at the time when i saw him he was 22 years old, fighting at 60 kilos, was ranked lightweight contender with a record of 39 fights(34 wins-1 draw-4 losses)

Chey Kosal vs Ken Tsubosaka (japan):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEAJ8BA3rk&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
THank you for sharing the videos Vincent,

that was impressive, just as his fights record!

OP
K

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ThanK Fede !!!!

one does not see in the video the old techniques… but that is 1 pretty initiative of 1 French association ! The French person in charge is very sympa… That was the first time that foreigners came to the camp !
And video is recent for it…
Many possibilities are has to realize in Cambodge !
And the boxers Khmer are very humble, very open !

ThanK Vincent ;)
Eh Poutong is a large Mister… frightening combatant is super Zen or accessible in the life!
for the Vidéo and to work...

:ultracool

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very nice footage from the 1930s

The bokator is a revitalized form much like muay boran, a composite for modern times.

The cambodian systems were well developed and their competitions were steady up until the fall of phnom penh and pol pots take over of the country so that began the blackout period for any type of competition or training. Many of the fighters, teachers, trainers were killed or died during that period, so the rebirth of the system almost 10-15 years later caused them to vacant during the major period when muay thai become world popular in the 80s-90s building up from the latter part of the 1970s. Cambodia could have been part of the major interest but unfortunately it could not reparticipate until much, much later when people started to train again and compete.

OP
K

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank for info ;))

:)
:ultracool
:)

Has soon blackdiamondcobra...

OP
K

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
:asian:

There are always things interessent in the Khmer system !

& Hello of France for Michigan ;)))

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great links I have been slowly going through all the cambodian dvds i recently got, great stuff!

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
So from what i am seeing there is the pradalserey fighting in the ring and the old arts like the swords, some sort of bareknuckle systems and we talked about the wrestling ----and the bokator system which oddly gives black belts and ranks like karate so i assume this something new or recently brought into the cambodian systems?

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi DA, I think you are right about Bokator.

I see muay boran as the Thai counterpart. They created a system
and said it was the original ancient muay of the country, the muay that supposedly defended the land, or the muay that directly comes from there.
That's great for a system that has been recently created by the Phys Ed
department of Thailand!
And they too have belts or khan or stashes, to show how close bokator and muay boran are. I never heard of such things with muay Lanna, Korat, Chaiya....so it is weird to see that in Bokator too since they say it's the original bare knucke art.

Again, why don't people say that there are old bare knuckle masters in Cambodia? I think and I hope that the old sword systems are still to be found there or they will die out or be included into another supposedly original and true old system.

destructautomaton

Green Belt
Reaction score
thanks, fede, you brought up alot of interesting things. i see they are selling bokator everywhere including people saying they are black belts which dont make sense. you are right its clear from vincent,khmo and yourself there is alot of great stuff including the bare hand stuff but nobody is really opening up about that and sort of jumping on the bokator thing i guess we'll see where it goes.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well we are seeing a bit of repeat of the muay boran situation in thailand beginning to show in cambodia. Again nothing wrong with it long as it labeled in the right context. Bokator is an old system, but there are others but nobody seems to care. Bokator in the modern way, is a new system made of a composite of old system material(much like muay boran as a form of physical education draw from old systems into one composite without the distinction of the original styles but offering the flavor and techs). The cambodian teacher was a former hapkido man and obviously was a bit enamoured with the belt system and gives out black belts(which seems odd within the context of a being an original cambodian system of bare knuckle but so be it). People of course will battle over this is the authentic, the real, the...whatever..but thats what it is and continues to be. One needs not be overly critical to it yet understand what it is and what it offers, so one can make the appropriate choices.

There are many of the old authentic masters still alive throughout cambodia and i have documented and trained with them continuously, this is of paramount importance because all the books and records were destroyed, so the teaching and oral histories must be recorded which is a huge task and its time consuming. Some of the old texts or books did survive because when masters left cambodia some took them with them and those are some of the rarest martial system material there is.

So right now in the bare knuckle realm you have the new composite bokator and the numerous old bare knuckle fighters and masters spread throughout the region. It is alive right now and hopefully the old masters will be recorded and the material trained so it can survive in entirety or else you will have to settle for the newer form of bokator.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarifications. I don't like these two arts because they are mixing things up, as you said things should be stated clearly so one can choose but what I have seen is that the afore mentioned sytems came up with the big (and wrong or distorted) claims and with publicity at the expenses of the true and old ones that could face oblivion, as you said.

I don't understand how one can learn and understand different systems by rolling them up into one, something has to get lost in the process. I had experience in muay boran and I learned separate techniques which were never put to use, they were disconnected from each other. It was like if there was no core. Very different from boxing if I have to make a comparison, which was very centered and alive to me.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think people go, especially foreigners. to the most easily accessible thing they can find and what they can regurgitate from anything written(in english), so at this point we can see how the most popular initially draws the most students. Its a common thing. Hopefully our posts and writings just educate those to at least gain a definition and understanding of what these systems are, so there is no disappointments or confusion.

Sometimes and i hope its the case, one thing draws others to search for the root which is the actual systems and old masters. Its alot of work I admit but well worth if you want to get at the actual material.

We see a huge spurt in cambodian systems being taught and websites springing up so i know it has changed remarkably from nothing in the 80s and 90s, to a sudden wellspring in the last 5 years or so. I have monitored it closely over that span of time and at least its a healthy sign of growth, where it will go and how big it will get remains to be seen.

OP
K

Khmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that is although the foreigners are interressed by Arts of Cambodge.
There are good things… and it is still easy to discover Masters…
Much work to find 1 true Master. They are often in the campaigns… Far from the big cities.
Much film (cinema), Pub, reports… help since always Martials Arts Thai.
That is not the case for Arts Cambodgians !
No Cambodgian ONE BAK with the Cinema ! LOL
The voyages are expensive, little from people go in the country. And as the Cambodge ones do little Pub: that is still "confidential".
But the mentality of Cambodgians is different from the Thais…
I wish for them that their Art be + recognized !
+ Represented !
+ to like of the public !

sorry my bad english
:angel:

has soon.

Fede

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi khmo!

From what I have read in the forums, Pradal Serei is being recognized in America so maybe it will be more known in the future. Also the video about the French Khmer boxing school you posted shows that there is genuine interest from Europe, so hopefully something good is slowly coming out.
I mean I had never heard of Khmer boxing before talking about it here or reading something on the net, so this is a sign for me.

I prefere that, going to the country side and learning there with the true masters. That's what you did and you can speak from your direct experience, that's a rare thing!
there is no need for the magazines covers or advertising! I can tell you I hope it stays like this.
Yes the plane ticket is expensive, but that is the most expensive thing because life in Cambodia cannot be expensive!

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The cambodian systems are in a healthy state of growth for the time being but its going to take some time. The film industry there might one day do something like ong bak i can see that in the future to spur a massive amount of interest in the original arts. There was a really bad movie already shot in cambodia called bokator but it was literally hard to watch. Only time will tell what comes happens there as well as in Europe and the US.

Latest Discussions