bujinkan?

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone!

i am a 31 year old guy from switzerland. as a kid i did pretty much judo, later pretty a lot of american kickboxing, modern karate, as well as a little bit of karate inbetween. i am new to martialtalk-community.

so, how did i get here, and why do you have the honour of reading my first post. i was strolling the net for some information on knives, knifefighting, swords and the like. and i happened to come across this one: www.ninja.ch can you give me some advise on if this is any good? anybody ever heard of this?

thanks for your time and enjoy yourselfs!

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
My opinion might be biased due to the art I study but... For the most part if you are interested in Ninjutsu then I would think any Bujinkan/Genbukan/Jinenkan/ToShinDo school with a qualified teacher will be a good choice for you.

:ninja:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! Nothing on the web site raises an alarm, but you'll have to check it out for yourself!

OP
D

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thank you guys!

i was gonna check it out yesterday, but then something came inbetween..

so nothing raises alarm. thats cool! i was reading quite some posts of you guys beforehand and read this negative posts about McNinja and so on. the place where it happens is actually a McFit..

do you mind me asking how many of your training goes into weapon/knife/sword training as this is what interessts me the most. and if this is also done as a "beginner". or if i'd be better served with lets say iaido? thanks for your time boys anyway!

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would guess that most Bujinkan schools would give you some training in knife fighting, but if that is what you want for your main focus, you might be better suited in a Filipino martial art, Kali / Escrima and the like.

Bujinkan will have knife fighting, but it is probably not what the training will focus around the way a lot of FMA schools do.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most beginner training (in the Bujinkan) involving a knife is empty-handed defenses against various cuts, slashes, and stabs.

OP
D

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
of the FMA i did not even think so far.. mhm, somehow i am really into japanese swordsmanship. have to admit that i do not know much about escrima, seen a show once and was impressed by the guys, horrid speed.. but that does for me somehow not hold up to the tranquility of a guy practising shinkendo. but thats only me..

what do you recon, somehow i am undecided. also dont want to rush into hundreds of dojos until i found out that with each until you get to the interessting part, have to stay up to the 5th dan. altough that'll be a good one to go to. but knowing myself.. can you help?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to just go and check out a few
different schools and see if you like them. Search
over the internet, yellow pages, etc and find some
to just go and watch, train, etc and give them a
try and find an art and teacher to your liking.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
dobermann said:
what do you recon, somehow i am undecided. also dont want to rush into hundreds of dojos until i found out that with each until you get to the interessting part, have to stay up to the 5th dan. altough that'll be a good one to go to. but knowing myself.. can you help?

Without having a solid understanding of basic movements, the 'interesting part' as you call it, will be unfamiliar to you. That being said, chances are, you will have to invest alot of time into the art. Aside from going to a Mcdojo, there are no short cuts, just alot of sweat and hard work.

Mike

OP
D

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Without having a solid understanding of basic movements, the 'interesting part' as you call it, will be unfamiliar to you. That being said, chances are, you will have to invest alot of time into the art. Aside from going to a Mcdojo, there are no short cuts, just alot of sweat and hard work.

Mike

as stated, i spent several years already studing a variety of martial arts. i am also a relatively well climber and a pretty good snowboarder. i like sports. and i know what sweat and years of training mean, usually there is also some pain inflicted.. :D

i am only asking the question, maybe i should of posted in a more general forum, if with objective studying japanes swordsmanship, it was worth trying the bujinkan. but i guess not. what would you point me too? i did quite some research, iaido sounds alright.

and for your personal opinion, as would you recommend me to go to a McDojo? or just find some other escrima or iaidoschool. here are several around, from one hour-when-lucky-drive to a five minutes footwalk. the later would be wingtsun. and then i am definitely wrong here..

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Bujinkan (and Taijutsu in general) is going to give you a good taste of sword/knife, but if you want knife "fighting", you may want to try Sayoc Kali, or Inosanto blend. Bujinkan uses Taijutsu as a vehicle for all of its techniques. so, as a beginner (basically the first 8 years or so) you train mostly in body movement before getting really in depth with weapons (depending on the school). I am sure you would have the opportunity to train weapons frequently (they may have a separate class for it) but it wont be as in depth as Kali or similar. Iaido is fun, I trained it for about 2 years alongside Aikido, but its a style..or a concept rather. so the training is very focused on the quick ddraw, using the Bokken, and after a while...the Iai-to.

good luck, and I'm glad I had the honor of reading your first post ;)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you solely want to work with the sword, you may be happier with iaido or batto-do.

OP
D

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that bokken-thing sounds like a lot of fun. you might have gotten the wrong impression. i dont wanna go swing around live blades the first lesson. but a bokken, that'll be cool. even when only learning how to draw. is iaido more dynamic or rather focused on performing "stylewise perfect" cuts or slashes? but you dont really have a sparring with iaido.. which is a bit of a bummer. and as beeing from switzerland, not all styles can be studied here. and a two hour drive is a bit too much for me.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dobermann said:
that bokken-thing sounds like a lot of fun. you might have gotten the wrong impression. i dont wanna go swing around live blades the first lesson. but a bokken, that'll be cool. even when only learning how to draw. is iaido more dynamic or rather focused on performing "stylewise perfect" cuts or slashes? but you dont really have a sparring with iaido.. which is a bit of a bummer. and as beeing from switzerland, not all styles can be studied here. and a two hour drive is a bit too much for me.
My understanding is that the focus in iaido is on perfection of form. If you're looking for sparring, you might try kendo. I know what you mean about driving, the closest sword schools to me that I'm aware of are in NYC, about a 3 hour drive.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
dobermann said:
as stated, i spent several years already studing a variety of martial arts. i am also a relatively well climber and a pretty good snowboarder. i like sports. and i know what sweat and years of training mean, usually there is also some pain inflicted.. :D

i am only asking the question, maybe i should of posted in a more general forum, if with objective studying japanes swordsmanship, it was worth trying the bujinkan. but i guess not. what would you point me too? i did quite some research, iaido sounds alright.

and for your personal opinion, as would you recommend me to go to a McDojo? or just find some other escrima or iaidoschool. here are several around, from one hour-when-lucky-drive to a five minutes footwalk. the later would be wingtsun. and then i am definitely wrong here..

No, I'm not suggesting that you go to a Mcdojo. Let me clarify my comment. You made it sound like you didn't want to have to wait a long time before you got to learn any of the 'good stuff'. My comment was simply saying that any time you begin a venture in a new art, its going to take time. BBT is a great art, if that is what has your interest.

OP
D

dobermann

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
No, I'm not suggesting that you go to a Mcdojo. Let me clarify my comment. You made it sound like you didn't want to have to wait a long time before you got to learn any of the 'good stuff'. My comment was simply saying that any time you begin a venture in a new art, its going to take time. BBT is a great art, if that is what has your interest.

then we had a misunderstanding. i think i skip on the mcdojo for the sake of iaido and give that a try. as i would rather opt for the iaido. i like the aspect of traditional form. thanks anyways, you were all a help!

Kreth said:
My understanding is that the focus in iaido is on perfection of form. If you're looking for sparring, you might try kendo. I know what you mean about driving, the closest sword schools to me that I'm aware of are in NYC, about a 3 hour drive.

yeah, that s**** big time i think! it has to be some moderate way, otherwise the motivation goes under pretty much. at least for a european that is used to close distances.. :D

S

Silent Thought

Hi, I'm new too. I would like to share what I know. I don't know anything about ninjutsu, but with the Japanese weapons come in a large range of types and styles. There actually is no one particular weapon, as you were interested in, but they are all only for name sakes. Most weapons, especially with traditional ninjutsu, were custom made so it's safe to assume there is no one particular weapon. Does this answer your question doberman?

Latest Discussions