Bujinkan training

jojo234

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the Martial Arts , i contacted a bujinkan Shidoshi about training and he offered me weekend training , because i live 6 hours from the dojo. He also told me i should start a training group and, that he would help me. Is it allowed in the bujinkan? Is he for real?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah you can have a training group, provided it's formed with other Bujinkan members practicing the art.

They frown upon dudes in back yards beating the stuffing out of each other and calling it Bujinkan, ninja or anything of the sort.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So long as everyone in your training group is studying Bujinkan, you have some sort of a "training plan," and practice with quality in mind, then it should be a helpful adjunct to training in the dojo. By "quality" I mean making sure you perform your techniques properly, working to avoid bad habits. If a question were to come up about a specific technique, stop and wait until you can seek clarification.

A training group is really no different from study groups, which are very useful in adademic settings. The focus is still on learning and perfecting your knowledge. One simply has a physical component.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train with a study group. We rent space one night a week from a local TSD school. The group is run by a shidoshi who I beleive was recently promoted to Judan. he has a career, just wants someplace to train and people to train with. There's usually 3-6 of us on any given night. It's been a very positive expereince so far and i don't really miss having a real "dojo" to train in.

basically, if your training group has good, dedicated and experienced people, it'll e good. If not, YMMV...just like anywhere else. :)

Peace,
Erik

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the Martial Arts , i contacted a bujinkan Shidoshi about training and he offered me weekend training , because i live 6 hours from the dojo. He also told me i should start a training group and, that he would help me. Is it allowed in the bujinkan? Is he for real?

Why don't you ask him?

The best way to ascertain someone's legitimacy is to ask who their teacher is. If someone can't explain where their training is from, that's a bad sign.

I'd say that this is a better criterion then paper documents.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Other people have pretty much said this already, but yes a training group is fine as long as it is with other people who can also go and train with the same instructor that you do and as frequently as you do.

Setting up a training group with yourself being the only person receiving legitimate training would not be a good idea when you are still a novice yourself but it has certainly happened in the past and is a big part of the quality control problems we suffer from today.

Latest Discussions