Poway Samurai Martial Arts

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greetings, all.

I have the opportunity to train with Tony Whetstine at Poway Samurai Martial Arts in Poway, California (near San Diego). It is a Jinenkan school.

http://www.powaymartialartsschool.com/

Does anyone have any experiences or information that they could share with me? Thank you for your time.

OP
B

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
I could expand this a bit, I suppose.

I am a total newbie to this. However, some research in the Martial Talk forum (like the big box at the top of this forum's page) and elsewhere have explained the differences between the X-Kans and the other styles. There hasn't been much explanation of the differences between the X-Kans themselves, though.

Can anyone chime in on this, please? Thanks.

Regarding formality in class, we have been bowing in/out formally and I appreciate how the Sensei required the Sempai to show me various things such as tying my belt properly - though she is about 16 years my junior. I appreciate the respect he afforded her as the senior student that day, while also requiring her to do the work her status required of her. As a Marine, that appeals to my sense of bushido (RHIP/RHIR, if you know what I mean).

I'm also looking forward to going to/from class on my motorcycle... bokken on my back. California drivers, take notice!

On an unrelated topic, I am really enjoying these forums. I'm like a sponge right now - trying to soak up everything! Thanks!

amitchell

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

My name is Adam Mitchell and I run the Jinenkan New York Dojo. I found your post here and thought I may be able to help with your question. But first, welcome to training!

You mentioned that the Dojo you are training at "is a Jinenkan school."

Please visit the Jinenkan Honbu Dojo website for a list of all Jinenkan Dojo authorized to teach by Unsui Sensei.

http://www.jinenkan.com/ennew/dojo.html

I've known Tony for a while and he's a nice guy.
Good luck with your training and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions regarding the Jinenkan.
Kindly, Adam

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me outline the basic X kan differences and background in a few short paragraphs. This is hardly an in depth analysis, but enough to give you some understanding without losing myself in details and politics.

Bujinkan was the first formal ninpo organization, started by Hatsumi sensei, who was taught by Takamatsu sensei. Tanemura sensei and Manaka sensei were both students of Hatsumi sensei and eventually received menkyo kaiden in several traditional ryuha. Tanemura sensei already had other menkyo kaiden as well at that point, passed down via family lines.

At a certain point in time, Tanemura sensei resigned from Bujinkan, and sought out other former students of Takamatsu sensei. He continued studying under each of them while forming his own ninpo and jujutsu organization: Genbukan.

Some time later, Manaka sensei left as well, and formed Jinenkan.

These days, bujinkan does not teach a specific curriculum but focuses on prinicples and strategy (please correct me if this is inaccurate). There is no formal curriculum, and grading is not comparable with other systems. Afaik, it is also not possible to receive licensing in the individual ryuha that make up the bujinkan, at least not in general.

Genbukan teaches a formal curriculum, and students have to practise a set of techniques for each grade until they have those techniques down really well. Training and dojo etiquette are strict. At higher dan levels, student can earn licensing in individual ryuha, and are even required to do so in order to progress.

Jinenkan emphasises mastery of the basics. I don't know much specific about Jinenkan. I read in an interview with Manaka sensei that he will not grant anyone licensure in any of the older arts, but he might consider licensure in jinen ryu. I don't know how accurate that is though. It was an older article.

But with this all said, much depends on your teacher and whether you connect with him. If you feel at home and you get out of the practise what you are searching for, then it doesn't really matter which one you are a member of. Good luck.

OP
B

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Adam, Bruno, thank you both for your helpful posts.

OP
B

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Update - good times abound.

Correction to an earlier post - I used "Sempai" where "Renshei" was probably more appropriate.

I have a voice recorder for other purposes, but remembered after class the other day that I had it with me. On my way home I data-dumped everything in my head onto the recorder, then typed it out when I got home. I learn best by rote memorization and developing muscle memory, so this process helped a lot. So, the next morning before work, I practiced everything from class. Our "indoor broom" is now a bokken. ;)

Last edited: