Bujinkan in southern NH?

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all!
i just found this site. and have spent at least an hour longer than i should have (i do have to work in the morning) browsing a couple of the different sections. I have found what appears to be a diverse base of knowledgeable martial artists!

I was hoping someone here could help me find (if one exists) a Bujinkan dojo, or (prefferably) an instructor in the southern New Hampshire area. I have found the Bujinkan Tobu dojo located in Townsend MA. but that looks like a heck of a drive. Boston martial arts center is way out of the question. and im just not sure of the one i found listed in Salem NH. (id much rather stay away from multi art dojo's).

I was told on another forum that there was possibly a dojo in Haverhill MA. which would be perfect for me (yes i now realize i should have said "southern NH/ N.E. Mass), however i tried getting contact information (or even a name) to no avail.

Can anyone offer ANYTHING/ANYONE Bujinkan less than 90 mins from me, that specializes in ninpo??

thanks everyone who reads this, and i look forward to more learning (and hopfully some fun) here on martialtalk.

Jim

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The closest Bujinkan school is prolly Manchester NH. I don't know of any in Salem or Haverhill area that are genuine Bujinkan schools.

Welcome to Martial Talk! Good to have you on board and good to "meet" another New Englander. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all!
i just found this site. and have spent at least an hour longer than i should have (i do have to work in the morning) browsing a couple of the different sections. I have found what appears to be a diverse base of knowledgeable martial artists!

I was hoping someone here could help me find (if one exists) a Bujinkan dojo, or (prefferably) an instructor in the southern New Hampshire area. I have found the Bujinkan Tobu dojo located in Townsend MA. but that looks like a heck of a drive. Boston martial arts center is way out of the question. and im just not sure of the one i found listed in Salem NH. (id much rather stay away from multi art dojo's).

I was told on another forum that there was possibly a dojo in Haverhill MA. which would be perfect for me (yes i now realize i should have said "southern NH/ N.E. Mass), however i tried getting contact information (or even a name) to no avail.

Can anyone offer ANYTHING/ANYONE Bujinkan less than 90 mins from me, that specializes in ninpo??

thanks everyone who reads this, and i look forward to more learning (and hopfully some fun) here on martialtalk.

Jim

This might be of a help to you.

http://www.winjutsu.com/winlinks.html

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you looked North? I know Hahna Patterson is teaching in the Portland, ME area. He was in the Presque Isle, ME area when I knew him and he had opened his own school "Maine Budo" in Portland last I knew. He might be exactly what you are looking for. He is very "old school." He has a web site at mainebudo.com and it has all his contact info on it.

OP
LuzRD

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for all the responses. such a friendly and helpful place ya got here!

Carol~~ im not familiar with the school in Manchester (or should i say "im not familiah with the school in Manchestah" = D ), but it seems to be a very likely choice for me as it would be 30-40 minutes from me (ill have to try and see if they have a website, or maybe just get their number from the yellow book and see how it looks).
the school in Salem is actually in Dover (oopsie) "Matt Randall's black belt academy" or "seacoast Bujinkan dojo". its maybe another 10 minutes further than Manchester would be, however id prefer to stay away from a multi art school.
the haverhill school i was told about, was supposedly run by an instructor of another Bujinkan school (as a satellite school i guess). though it seems i was misinformed that it even exists.

MJS~~ Thank you for the Link. thats how i found the few schools in the area, 3 are in NH (1) lists no location lol (2) doesnt seem to be what im looking for (its in Milford, so i guess "Rutherford" agrees with me haha) and (3) seems to cater to children and is a mixed art school (i should add that i may be being a little too picky as far as not considering schools that offer other arts, but i would MUCH rather find someone who has spent considerable time concentrating on what I want to learn)
and the 2 schools listed for MA. are both over an hour away from me.

rutherford~~ im sure they know their stuff in Milford, but i agree with you. its just not what im looking for.

bydand~~ that looks like a great place, but thats the furthest from me so far at almost 2 hours = O. but thank you!!

thank you all again, i appreciate all of your quick and very helpful responses!!!

"Bujinkan Dojo New Hampshire" http://www.bujinkandojo.net/ is this the one thats in Manchester?? it states on the homepage "Location information to be updated soon!" (yes i looked around the site to see if it had been updated, but not yet it would appear)

thanks

Jim

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Bujinkan Dojo New Hampshire" http://www.bujinkandojo.net/ is this the one thats in Manchester?? it states on the homepage "Location information to be updated soon!" (yes i looked around the site to see if it had been updated, but not yet it would appear)

I think so. Looks like their web site is being revamped. When I was looking for a school in the same area they had a working web site. I doubt their page will be down for too long. The school I was thinking of is at 250 Commercial Street in Manchvegas. :)

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think so. Looks like their web site is being revamped. When I was looking for a school in the same area they had a working web site. I doubt their page will be down for too long. The school I was thinking of is at 250 Commercial Street in Manchvegas. :)

That school is next door to my work. I tried to call a while back when I was looking for a Buj school and the phone was dead. I also don't know if their sign is up any more -- maybe they are moving somewhere else...

OP
LuzRD

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
that is Steve Lefevbre's school. it is linked directly from http://www.winjutsu.com/winlinks.html which is how i found it. when/if the site gets updated i will look into his status within the bujinkan.
do you have reason to believe he is not a member? or just suggesting that i check the credibility of potential schools?

thank you
Jim

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that is Steve Lefevbre's school. it is linked directly from http://www.winjutsu.com/winlinks.html which is how i found it. when/if the site gets updated i will look into his status within the bujinkan.
do you have reason to believe he is not a member? or just suggesting that i check the credibility of potential schools?

thank you
Jim
It came up in a discussion a few years ago (I honestly can't remember on which forum) that he was not a Bujinkan member. He also tried to sue a friend of mine over use of the name Bujinkan in NH. :rolleyes:

OP
LuzRD

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I may have found an instructor very reasonably close to me in southern NH.
His name is Dennis Mahoney, does anyone have any experience with him? Know him by reputation?
He has a current Bujinkan license and is willing to meet with me to discuss teaching me.
He seems open and honest (i say this because in his reply to my email he offered the names and locations of the other Bujinkan shidoshi in NH without me asking or making reference to them).
I however cant find too much info online about him, a quick google yields quotes like the following....

~"nitflegal" wrote on E-budo in '03...
"I miss the northeast so bloody much, Mark Davis, Greg Kowalski, Dennis Mahoney. . ."

~"wannabe" wrote on socnetcentral in '04...
"Check out Mark Davis's Bujinkan school. He's got a pretty good background with working the system to adapt to people with some physical issues. If Dennis Mahoney is stomping around in Davis-sensei's class, he's exceptional at adapting the system like that."

...but i would like to hear from those who would know better than I BEFORE I commit. (by commit i refer to my not wanting to start somthing and quit due to lack of research)

So as always any help, guidance, oppinion, or kick in the behind is appreciated!

Thanks everyone :)
Jim

OP
LuzRD

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
...and we were all getting along so well. i hope it wasnt somthing i said lol

am i to understand that noone has any knowledge of Mr. Mahoney? if so i guess ill just have to find out the fun way :)

Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for? what to be wary of? ANY suggestions for the new guy looking for quality?

thank you
Jim

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know him, sorry! Wish I could help more.

The biggest thing that I can suggest is...commit yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, but not financially. Don't sign a contract. If you can't train without one, run :D

Latest Discussions