Bujinkan in Iran...

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow... I did not know ninjutsu looked so similar to Tae Kwon Do...

Also, I guess those guys will be fortunate if they are invaded by an army of Giants. Or perhaps if people are sitting on top of basketball goals conveniantly close to walls. While impressive to be able to kick someone 13 feet tall, I'm not sure how that might have evolved from the Bujinkan, unless ninjas made a habit of trying to kick samurai off of their 10 ft tall horse.

Still, the acrobats was fairly impressive. Thanks for sharing :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Satt,

I do not think that this dojo is a Bujinkan Dojo. The techniques look like a eclectic martial arts studio that put on a mask. I do not see anything like what you will find in a legitimate Budo Taijutsu Dojo.

Koryu Rich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think we had one of these guys show up on MAP a while back!

Needless to say he couldn't show any real link to the Bujinkan.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am in full agreement with Brian. I saw NOTHING that looked like Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. Even the instructor's bo work did not have the look of budo taijutsu.

I have been aware of this school for quite some time. It has a website. Anyway, based on the information on the website, I concluded the instructor has no connection with the Bujinkan. It appears he may have attended a couple of seminars and may have gone to Japan once and I believe I saw an old picture of him with SKH.

No doubt those guys are in great acrobatic shape, but it is safe to say it isn't Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I saw NOTHING that looked like Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu...

According to Richard van Donk's website (http://www.ninjutsu.com/dojos-links.shtml ) they seem to be a "Bujinkan Dojo"

Iran's Central Bujinkan Dojo
seniorteacher: Akbar Faraji rankdan:Shihan
address: Iran - Karaj
Box: 31535/858
url: www.ninjutsu-iran.com
phone: +98 0261 - 4422642
mobile: +98 0912 - 1469187

Telefax: +98 0261 - 4422642

At the top of RVD's page, it says a "Shihan" is a 10th dan or above; he seems to have Mr. Akbar Faraji listed as a "Shihan". It would appear that Mr. Faraji has been to one or two of Lubos Porkorny's seminars in Russia.

Decide for yourself.

:asian:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to Richard van Donk's website (http://www.ninjutsu.com/dojos-links.shtml ) they seem to be a "Bujinkan Dojo"

At the top of RVD's page, it says a "Shihan" is a 10th dan or above; he seems to have Mr. Akbar Faraji listed as a "Shihan". It would appear that Mr. Faraji has been to one or two of Lubos Porkorny's seminars in Russia.

Decide for yourself.

Okee dokeee... He certainly doesn't move like Lubos! :eek:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on now, we should all be using Mr VonDonk's home study courses to learn our Taijutsu... there is no better source to learn from in the world we could possibly go to is there?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Decide for yourself.

I am not sure, but I don't think RVD does a lot of checking on people with Hatsumi before he puts listings up. Maybe they are a dojo, maybe they are not.

I can say this. I attended the next class session with Hatsumi after 9-11-01. He had some thoughts on the matter. And based on what he said, I do not think there was any legit dojos in Iran at that time.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or maybe, since every dojo has it's own feeling, flair and look they happen to like a more gymnastic feel. It's likely better marketing in a video than sanshin no kata being demonstrated.
I'd also figure that by virtue of rank alone, RVD might not be subltly insulted online. If Hatsumi Sensei thinks of him in the manner of high rank then that should be respected. Just my opinion of course.

But yes this video looks very little like any taijutsu I have seen other than the Shoten no Jutsu. Or is that not practiced much?

I'd like to state I don't have anything invested in RVD. I just can't stand the lack of respect for rank and experience online.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd also figure that by virtue of rank alone, RVD might not be subltly insulted online. If Hatsumi Sensei thinks of him in the manner of high rank then that should be respected. Just my opinion of course.

But yes this video looks very little like any taijutsu I have seen other than the Shoten no Jutsu. Or is that not practiced much?

I'd like to state I don't have anything invested in RVD. I just can't stand the lack of respect for rank and experience online.

More than one person has remarked that this picture indicates a serious lack of respect on his part...

shihan-in-japan.jpg

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK so we are going to answer a hypothetical question with another one.
Well that is a pretty good arguement. I can see why people should be offended by this I gather. Mind you I am not a religion expert, so I'd like to be more educated if you can fill me in.
However, so then the loss of respect and slagging that he takes online is deserved. OK.

Please understand I am playing devils advocate here. I don't know Van Donk Shihan at all personally. I have heard and seen both good and bad reviews of him.
But, by the virtue that he was ranked by Hatsumi Sensei to such a rank, does not the rules of MA etiquette, "saho" I believe deem that he is to be given respect, or does the Bujinkan not adhere to such things.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd also figure that by virtue of rank alone, RVD might not be subltly insulted online.

Or... Or... Maybe you can read my post for what it was... a Slam against people who feel the only thing they NEED to get good is a Home Video Study Course, as opposed to a Real Living Breathing Teacher who can train them...

But since you brought it up, if all you want to respect is rank, and that's all that's important, Im sure that there are a few Sokeship councils that would be happy to grant me Grandmastership, if I pay enough... would my opinion matter then?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have met Richard VanDonk and he seemed like a great guy in person. He takes alot of heat because of the video training thing. (and rightly so) However in person he seems like a nice guy with a pretty good attitude.
I too however have heard stories but I tend to like to meet people before I make an assessment of them. Just my take.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have met Richard VanDonk and he seemed like a great guy in person. He takes alot of heat because of the video training thing. (and rightly so) However in person he seems like a nice guy with a pretty good attitude.
I too however have heard stories but I tend to like to meet people before I make an assessment of them. Just my take.
I dunno, the first time I met him, I thought, "used car salesman."

Latest Discussions