Building and using shooting barricades

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jobo, I started shooting shotguns and rifles when I was about ten. By age 16, I'd taken mule deer, American pronghorn, and a lot of doves and quail, and did some trap and skeet shooting for fun. I gave up hunting forever in my early 20s, and have had very little involvement with shooting arts since. I still shoot handguns with my brother once in a rare while, and am looking to buy one now. Shooting is something fun I can still do during this Covid thing.

I also did a bit of paintball. Let me tell you, things like paintball and air-soft are not the same as shooting real firearms that can accurately shoot hundreds of yards and kill by chance at distances of over a mile. Really. My brother has some very accurate and very expensive open-sight (no scope) rifles he uses in national and international competition at the 1,000 yard range, and he has a couple of large caliber scoped rifles with custom barrels and ammo that can hit things even farther away.

And you talk about moving the targets around? Targets that have to stop real bullets? o_O

Look, I grew up in a family that shot guns. Most Americans, especially those with rural roots did. I'm still totally ignorant about the type of shooting being referenced in the OP. So I'm reading this thread out of curiosity ...and am humble enough not to opine on matters I do not understand.

You apparently grew up in the UK, a society where guns are highly regulated and rare, with handguns almost totally unavailable. You have had almost no experience with a real firearm and none at all in the type of shooting being referenced here. Yet you want to argue with all the knowledgeable people posting! IKLawson was right on the mark. BTW ever hear of Dunning - Kruger???

Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia
well back at you

you do know that range targets dont stop bullets , dont you ? it does rather seam from the above you dont

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
well back at you

you do know that range targets dont stop bullets , dont you ? it does rather seam from the above you dont

Well the bullet trap does...and the target has to be in front of the trap.

So if you can't move the trap then you can't move the target.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well the bullet trap does...and the target has to be in front of the trap.

So if you can't move the trap then you can't move the target.
clearly you can move it as long as the trap stays behibd it, so left, right forward back and all points between , clearly if you move it to the next town it can cause problems

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
clearly you can move it as long as the trap stays behibd it, so left, right forward back and all points between , clearly if you move it to the next town it can cause problems

Jobo is correct. I shoot in USPSA competitions occasionally and similar, local matches more regularly. I remember at least two matches where moving targets were used. As long as your backstop can effectively cover all of the possible angles at which you may engage a target, you're good to go.

bellalawren

White Belt
Reaction score
In fact, construction is always very difficult, you need to make a construction plan, then order the material and kill a lot of veremeni for construction.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jobo, I started shooting shotguns and rifles when I was about ten. By age 16, I'd taken mule deer, American pronghorn, and a lot of doves and quail, and did some trap and skeet shooting for fun. I gave up hunting forever in my early 20s, and have had very little involvement with shooting arts since. I still shoot handguns with my brother once in a rare while, and am looking to buy one now. Shooting is something fun I can still do during this Covid thing.

I also did a bit of paintball. Let me tell you, things like paintball and air-soft are not the same as shooting real firearms that can accurately shoot hundreds of yards and kill by chance at distances of over a mile. Really. My brother has some very accurate and very expensive open-sight (no scope) rifles he uses in national and international competition at the 1,000 yard range, and he has a couple of large caliber scoped rifles with custom barrels and ammo that can hit things even farther away.

And you talk about moving the targets around? Targets that have to stop real bullets? o_O

Look, I grew up in a family that shot guns. Most Americans, especially those with rural roots did. I'm still totally ignorant about the type of shooting being referenced in the OP. So I'm reading this thread out of curiosity ...and am humble enough not to opine on matters I do not understand.

You apparently grew up in the UK, a society where guns are highly regulated and rare, with handguns almost totally unavailable. You have had almost no experience with a real firearm and none at all in the type of shooting being referenced here. Yet you want to argue with all the knowledgeable people posting! IKLawson was right on the mark. BTW ever hear of Dunning - Kruger???

Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

Weapons aren't as rare as you think in the UK, where I live every other house has shotguns and often rifles for example. Guns are common in rural communities, there's little need for them in urban areas unless you enjoy hunting and/or clay pigeon shooting, which many in the UK do.

Shooting on ranges is popular here too, we have many gun clubs as well as places you can try out different weapons.

My experience with guns would most likely surprise you but I don't post up because it was work not pleasure however I do know exactly what the OP is about.

Jobo can stand up for himself but I will say I've always found nuns surprisingly knowledgeable about sex................... 😂

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
this may not apply to the situation, but using an actual vehicle is nice. does more than simulate an actual common situation. of course i wouldnt want it to be my car.

Last edited:

LeeDonna

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not use shooting barriers because I prefer to rent scaffolding.

LeeDonna

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not use shooting barriers because I prefer to rent scaffolding. Renting a structure instead of building it yourself saves you a lot of time, effort, and money. Why bother buying all the materials and assembling them when you contact the rental service and have them deliver and install the scaffolding yourself? You don't need to do any tedious paperwork on the equipment or maintain the structure, especially if you only need it for a one-time job. When you rent one, you also don't have to worry about the moving part. The company petesuen.com will take care of everything.

Latest Discussions