brn.blt. rankings

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is probably gonna sound stupid, but here it goes. Did'nt the EPAK brn. ranking system work as follows? 1st level after adv.green is 3rd brn. signified by 1blk. stripe on belt, 2nd. brn. 2 stripes, and 1st brn. 3 stripes? The way I remember this being explained to me. You advanced through these levels much like a contest. With the highest level denoted as 1st place. Hence the 1st brn. designation being the higher level. For some reason I have confused myself considerably regarding the abovementioned. I apologize in advance to anyone who regards this question as a waste of time.

1stJohn1:9

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have an original IKKA Belt Chart, which is indeed set up exactly as you have described it.

Having never been EPAK myself, I chose to match up the rankings a bit differently for my own students.
Green - 3rd Brown (3 black stripes) -> 2nd Brown (2 stripes) -> 1st Brown (No Stripes).

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Not a stupid question,

The way I look at it when you begin as a white belt your ranking is 9th Kyu (Kyu meaning anyone who is below a black belt) therefore 9th Kyu is 9 levels below a black belt nad so on till you get to 3rd Kyu brown, 2nd brown then 1st brown.

Now I must admit putting on 3 stripes at 3rd kyu brown (i.e 1st brown belt) actually seems like a good idea strip away the levels till you get to black, I like it.

Amrik