British company seeks to save lives of SOF troops...and devises an ingenious solution!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Neat idea...

But one bit puzzles me:
Helium is a hazardous material -- if shot it could catch fire, the company acknowledges. But BCB contains it safely, and it all comes down to risk assessment

Last time I checked, helium is a noble gas. It doesn't burn, it doesn't react chemically... and I think if things are hot enough to be getting helium to split, a little more help than can be provided by air support is in order! I'm sure the balloon itself or the twine could burn... or even the carbon fiber helium cartridge -- but not the helium itself!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, helium is relatively inert and actually used as a flame retarder in come applications I'm given to understand - of course, it has to be admitted, I'm an economist/historian/engineer :D. But my best mate at university was a chemist, if that helps to add credibility :).

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, helium is relatively inert and actually used as a flame retarder in come applications I'm given to understand - of course, it has to be admitted, I'm an economist/historian/engineer :D. But my best mate at university was a chemist, if that helps to add credibility :).

You are correct though...in transmission lines, helium is used in some lines for its insulating/safety properties. In other situations, nitrogen is used in others for its drying properties. Both are used for their non-flammable/non-reactive properties.

(Side note: For anyone who has been around Manhattan, its fairly common to see tanks of Nitrogen chained to light poles, etc. The reason? ConEdison produces a lot of steam/moisture/condensation. This can wreak havoc with telephone, data, and cable circuits...causing frequent outages. The solution is for service providers to repair the rupture and re-dehydrate line with dry nitrogen.)

I didn't understand the line either. Maybe the risk is from the balloon catching fire? Or the pressurized canister getting shot?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct though...in transmission lines, helium is used in some lines for its insulating/safety properties. In other situations, nitrogen is used in others for its drying properties. Both are used for their non-flammable/non-reactive properties.

(Side note: For anyone who has been around Manhattan, its fairly common to see tanks of Nitrogen chained to light poles, etc. The reason? ConEdison produces a lot of steam/moisture/condensation. This can wreak havoc with telephone, data, and cable circuits...causing frequent outages. The solution is for service providers to repair the rupture and re-dehydrate line with dry nitrogen.)

I didn't understand the line either. Maybe the risk is from the balloon catching fire? Or the pressurized canister getting shot?

We see tanks on poles around here, too... I didn't know why until we had some major phone outages due to some flooding, and I talked with the Verizon guys for a bit. They're still (several months later) having problems, and the pressurize the lines to keep water out.

Latest Discussions