Breaking Structure

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As in an arm drag?

m6sdTajC85SiahevZ-wFHH0BjqJrt8dDuyRXYaCpxmP1dpV0uj_EvDk52PoXMwzr6CQya5IbYkierm_jWm4cwqP2jU45o7BgPi2PLq4eDacF=w320-h240-nc

ODk3hGUvrB9zzG5uB2vN3BZV5nigPqZYz9uQf5jZaSGg3SUsVQYnDrQhQ2dqzUfII_n3azUngDyfT3kDYLGmBjwR-wrf3bLROW_ujcRq799QhDqMiTS7lZQ_iU_3WmDw12ieh7fCjPPMEXmDvQ0LZWwN1S_pWbJvWe4=w470-h313-nc

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ODk3hGUvrB9zzG5uB2vN3BZV5nigPqZYz9uQf5jZaSGg3SUsVQYnDrQhQ2dqzUfII_n3azUngDyfT3kDYLGmBjwR-wrf3bLROW_ujcRq799QhDqMiTS7lZQ_iU_3WmDw12ieh7fCjPPMEXmDvQ0LZWwN1S_pWbJvWe4=w470-h313-nc

You should also train the counter for "arm drag" too. When you move your leg behind your opponent's legs, you can prevent him to move behind you. When your opponent tries to drag you toward the southeast direction, you move into the southwest direction instead.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop, yes, arm drag. For some reason, I've not noted it being used cross-genre, so to speak. Works though. Just noted you responded.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes,my fault. I accepted the definition of aiki but disagreed with the second part of post.

Your second point is absolutely spot on but I would argue that the same principle can be applied across many styles of MA, the exceptions being those arts that are predominantly kicking or punching. Any style with any grappling can incorporate aiki. In fact I only started learning Aikido to use it within my understanding of Goju.

I'm not sure I agree with your final point. Is uke's job only to harmonise? In my training we might start out harmonising, because it is only through receiving that you can learn how to reverse the techniques and obviously that is an essential part of Aikido. I consider that to be more uke's training than nage's, in a practical sense, assuming nage's is past the initial stage of learning the technique. Once nage knows technically how to perform the technique it has to be tested. So call me an arsehole but I will not go with nage unless he is doing his technique in a way it will work in the real world. I'm not saying here he is necessarily able to perform the technique on me but that if I think it would work on an untrained person I will go with it, a different perspective to just receiving without question. One of my biggest beefs with Aikido, is people throwing themselves all over the shop, making sloppy techniques look as if they are working.

To my understanding there is pretty much only one real 'throw' in Aikido, koshinage. The rest are takedowns that, in training, uke can roll out of but which, in real life, end up with the attacker in a heap on the ground. Much of what you see is uke throwing himself which is, as you say, 'doing' ukemi, my pet beef outlined above.

With some techniques, uke may be throwing themselves into ukemi to avoid the technique. Many wrist throws end up this way in the dojo, but on the street would have a different (ugly) fall or destruction of the joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk