branching off, long guns for self defense, when pray for more firepower.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, you have a point there - I'd expect a proper choke gives that distance (something I've never used a scattergun enough to be well informed on). And with slugs, you do get better control over who else is in danger.
I primarily use a shotgun for deer, ducks, geese, turkey, pheasant, rabbits, squirrels, milk jugs, shaving cream cans (oh so fun), clay pigeons, and recently cookies. I love my shotguns much more than my .22's .308, 54R's, and pistols. But probably like my flintlock and caplocks more.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Particularly in mega churches, there is a concern of the extremists suicide terrorist. No better place for a deranged person to kill a bunch of infidels. The department of Homeland Security is surprised it hasn't happened yet.

I imagine they are rightly sitting waiting for one of the congregation to do that for them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I primarily use a shotgun for deer, ducks, geese, turkey, pheasant, rabbits, squirrels, milk jugs, shaving cream cans (oh so fun), clay pigeons, and recently cookies. I love my shotguns much more than my .22's .308, 54R's, and pistols. But probably like my flintlock and caplocks more.

We shoot haggis here, hard little buggers to shoot but tasty. Most people trap them but I think that's cruel. Secrets of the haggis hunt finally revealed on film - Macbeth's Butchers

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I often take young greenhorns on the legendary "snipe hunt" where we go at night, beat the bushes with sticks and try and catch them in a paper sack. Conversely, I hear clapping your hands three times and calling "here snipe" while on hands and knees works well.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I often take young greenhorns on the legendary "snipe hunt" where we go at night, beat the bushes with sticks and try and catch them in a paper sack. Conversely, I hear clapping your hands three times and calling "here snipe" while on hands and knees works well.

My grandfather was a legendary guide for snipe. Lol

Everyone is familiar with snipehunting now.....but haggis could work....exotic. Lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing with snipe though is that in the UK it's a genuine bird. We don't get the American joke about them.
Snipe

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only thing with snipe though is that in the UK it's a genuine bird. We don't get the American joke about them.
Snipe

It's a genuine bird here as well....but city folk aren't too bright and don't realize it.

And you definitely can't catch them in a paper sack with a stick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a genuine bird here as well....but city folk aren't too bright and don't realize it.

And you definitely can't catch them in a paper sack with a stick.

ah! The British though have a passion for nature programmes, we watch so many of them we can all name birds and animals. Sir David Attenborough is a national hero.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So now, long guns, in your home, in your office, in your truck ( if legal ). In my bedroom each night, you will find a 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with #4 lead buckshot. I live in an 80'x14' mobile home. All the bedrooms are in a row. If I had to shoot someone , I would aim low (knee area) to keep stray fire away from my little girl. I like my old pump and don't often miss with it. There is a mega-church in my area which asks custodians/ushers/decons/ pastors to carry pistols. Also, they have long guns ,at least 12 gauge shotguns, in locked custodians closets around the building. In such a large building with such open spaces, they see a potential need for heavy firepower instead of just small caliber handguns. Would you, could you, do you agree? Is a pistol enough, is a long gun too much?
Long arms have a lot of advantages over handguns as far as "combat effectiveness" goes. It's pretty much indisputable. Besides the noted possibility of over-penetration, the biggest downside to a long arm is that it doesn't conceal as easily. So if concealment isn't a problem and you aren't worried about over-penetration (or you can mitigate it), then, sure it's usually a superior option. I don't really see how this could be controversial.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions