Both sides of the spectrum, a deeper look.

Meathook

White Belt
Reaction score
How many of you study martial arts that have self defenses included within your art that work off of a specific type of attack? Ok, how many of you study or even practice the initial attack that triggers the response? I have seen a lot of passive/compliant attacks on you tube and in my actual experience that have no bearring in reality. Basically you attack a certain way and its supposed to trigger a response in some of the less freeform arts. Ive also noticed that a lot of people who teach these responses downplay the effectiveness of the attack that generates the response. Heres the kicker, imho if the attack you are to give a response to isnt explored as a legitamate type of attack then why the response? and as a secondary if it is a legitamate attack then why is it often not included as a technique in your art. Now, I dont think ive noticed anything fully unique with this type of thing but i send this post to get all of you thinking... In training should not both the attack and the response be considered to be valuable material? and if its not then why train it at all??

Latest Discussions