Body Piercings

drunken mistress

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are now four people in my class with body piercings - navel, lip, nose etc. and this sometimes causes problems. We normally remove jewellery before a class, wedding rings included but people are leaving in their piercings, complaining if anyone hits them, etc. The navel studs etc. also sometiems graze classmates´ knuckles. Has anyone else had this problem in their class?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The removal of jewelery is for safety reasons, both for the person wearing them as well as the person they're working with. For the short time that the class will be, I really don't see any problems with them removing the items. I'd rather remove something than risk my partner accidentally getting caught on something and having it ripped from my body.

This may be something that you'd want to mention to your inst. as well.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
It happened occasionally when people forgot about them. However, It was the rule that there was to be no jewelry/watches worn during class.

That seems to be a long standing rule at every class I've ever attended...

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
The removal of jewelery is for safety reasons, both for the person wearing them as well as the person they're working with. For the short time that the class will be, I really don't see any problems with them removing the items. I'd rather remove something than risk my partner accidentally getting caught on something and having it ripped from my body.

This may be something that you'd want to mention to your inst. as well.

Mike

Good point...I just had an unpleasant mental picture of a unusual body piercing getting ripped in class. *shudder* The "no jewelry" rule in most (if not all) MA schools is there for a reason. If students refuse to remove their body jewelry, they should not be allowed to train. This is for their own safety, and to protect their fellow students as well.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The instructor should make everyone remove their jewelry. Piercings can pose a hazard for both of the individuals involved in a drill where any sort of contact could conceivably be made.

The instructor should also point out that it's not about suppressing someone's individuality. It's about making the classroom safer for all, and that everyone is expected to adhere to some degree of uniformity. How someone chooses to dress, or what jewelry he may choose is none of the instructor's business, but how they dress while inside the dojo is certainly of concern.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Piercings have never been allowed in most MA facilities for the reasons already given; however, with some of the locations that are becoming more common (navel, nipple, etc.) the piercing can't be removed because it can't be put back in (navel is one, in particular - I've been told the hole is curved, and basically impossible to put back in) or because it is still healing. In such cases, the best thing to do would be to tape them down, either with bandaids or medical tape - and if the person refuses, or continues to complain about being hit there, that tells you something about their level of commitment to training, as opposed to the piercings. At that point, the instructor needs to be clear with the student - on the level of "so if someone attacks you on the street, you're going to say 'stop, you can't hit me there because of my belly ring', or what?" Piercings are going to continue to happen - but they cannot be allowed to be a liability for students or instructor - in class or self-defense.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey said:
navel is one, in particular - I've been told the hole is curved, and basically impossible to put back in
Whoever told you that, does not know what they're talking about. As long as a piercing is well healed, the jewelry can be taken out for brief periods. I spent several years taking out my nostril and ear piercings for every class before I finally got rid of all my visible piercings.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just recently I accidentally ripped out a guys eyebrow piercing. It was horrible...bled everywhere.

I think for everyone's sake ALL piercings should be removed.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO any piercing that is in the way during MA training is pretty much in direct opposition to why I train in martail arts, which is for self defence. All I see a piercing as is a metal hook that could rip out part of your face (or whatever). I realize that not everybodies main concern is self defence but if that is the case, and if piercings are that important to you that you won't take them out for class, perhaps your should switch to yoga or pilates.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Whoever told you that, does not know what they're talking about. As long as a piercing is well healed, the jewelry can be taken out for brief periods. I spent several years taking out my nostril and ear piercings for every class before I finally got rid of all my visible piercings.

It's entirely possible that that was an excuse being used by a young woman who didn't want to remove it before sparring... she said she did, and we tend not to check non-visible piercings - but it was right behind her belt... I heard that about a year later someone popped her good in the navel ring and then she did take it out; I don't know what happened after that.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
one way to get them to take out the piercings:

Start targeting the piercings during sparring, because that is what is likely to happen in a real fight.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have twelve piercings in all (you would never guess there really is 12)...one in my tongue...one in my eyebrow...and the rest in my ears...I take them all out during a tournament otherwise i leave them in...the newly aquired ring on my finger does come off every class because i am fearful of injury or a de-gloving...the only problem i have ever had with my piercings is with one of the industrials i have (a long bar that goes from one side of the ear to the other) where bignick punched me and brushed along the side of my head and pulled on it...the bar bent pretty good and it bled a little bit but no serious damage...so in about 2 years that is all...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
drunken mistress said:
There are now four people in my class with body piercings - navel, lip, nose etc. and this sometimes causes problems. We normally remove jewellery before a class, wedding rings included but people are leaving in their piercings, complaining if anyone hits them, etc. The navel studs etc. also sometiems graze classmates´ knuckles. Has anyone else had this problem in their class?

If it is a new piercing, and it must remain in, then do not train.

Otherwise it should be removed as many have stated here for safety reasons.

Having used piercings to control people before, they have to learn how to defend themselves with them in yes, but not at the risk of safety to the other class mates.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have my students remove all of their jewelry before participating in practice. Period. I don't care what it is, where it is, or how hard it is to put back in. My house, my rules. It's as simple as that.

It's good to be king.
icon10.gif

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with it because all such items must be removed before the start of class. Period. If they won't take 'em out, they don't participate.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i wanna get my belly button pierced but not sure how it will work with training...i dont want to have it all like sore for a few weeks then mess with taking it in and out ...di pry be one of those who just dont mention it and tough it out while training shouldi get one

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wedding bands (no stones) are all I allow in class. I refuse to take my wedding ring off so I can't ask someone else to. I still wear my earring but I take it out when grappling (if I remember) I forget about most of the time.

Body jewelry is very dangerous I would not allow it.

Latest Discussions