Testing for a higher belt

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets say you have a senior BB that has been studing for 15 years comes down sick and is not going to get better due to there condition how would you go about his test the same as everyone else modify it for there condition or just leave them where they are at and do the best with what you have with them?
Terry

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a standard that needs to be met. But, you test the individual not the group, so that standard needs to be flexible. I would take into account his time in training and his contribution in training others.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trying to put myself in the student's shoes, I think depending on what the ailment was would be very relevant. The question I would ask myself is, Can I still grow in the art in some way? I think the answer to that question is also the answer to yours.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you have to look at the person's past progression, how the illness is affecting his/her abilities, etc.; for example, one of my instructor's students had surgery on her ankle, and is incapable of jumping much (she has permanent metal bars supporting her ankle joint; more injury = fusing the joint so it doesn't move at all) - so her testing requirements have been modified to equally difficult multiple standing kicks, because as much work as she has put in preparing, and as willing as she is to blow out her ankle permanently to earn her BB, her doctor has forbidden it - so the requirements were changed to meet her physical disability. Not made easier, just different. Yes, there are standards to be met - but the definition of "growth" in the art is against oneself, and that also needs to be taken into consideration.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about dan level. However, last week when I tested for green belt I was told that my technique was good. Nothing wrong there, but it wasn't as fluid as the testing board would have liked.

One thing that pops out in my memory bank. I was told my set up, chamber, and rechamber on side kick was perfect. However, they asked if the reason why I didn't extend my leg all the way was because of my two leg braces.

Of course it is, I can't really handle the torque from back leg round and side kicks. So they made an accomodation for me. I don't know, I believe that in all fairness there should be standards that need to be met to uphold the integrity of the school program. However, if someone is physically disabled then a little linency should be used.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe in the spirit of the standard and not necessarily the standard itself. Understanding that there needs to be a pass/fail criteria, it should serve the teacher's purposes instead of the teacher serving the rules.

My two cents.