Bleach in a Wavemaster?

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
I purchased a Wavemaster and plan on filling it with water. Has anyone added anything like bleach to the water to prevent algae, mold, and bacteria growth? Does it degrade the plastic base?

Thanks for your insights!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I purchased a Wavemaster and plan on filling it with water. Has anyone added anything like bleach to the water to prevent algae, mold, and bacteria growth? Does it degrade the plastic base?

Salt works better.

OP
B

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
It will be moved into position for hitting and back to its corner regularly as well as onto and off of gymnastics-style mats. The room it is going in is only about 9'x9', so I need to be able to clear the floor for forms and no-contact practice.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A 1/4 teaspoon of bleach to a gallon of water. I have also used this product (because I have a ton of it) and it works well.
I would not put sand in a wavemaster. I believe it would damage the bladder inside since it is much more abrasive than water.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would not put sand in a wavemaster. I believe it would damage the bladder inside since it is much more abrasive than water.
The Century site actually specifically uses sand as an example of what you may fill the base of the wavemaster with.

"First, the Wavemaster can be easily moved! Just tip it onto the side of the base and roll it. Even when it is fully filled (use sand or water, and it weighs up to 250 lbs.), it’s a one-person job."

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is no bladder. Its rigid plastic.
There is a bladder in the two that I have. Has a gasketed cap to seal the water. I would not call it rigid plastic but it is pretty thick.
The newer one came with a cap that has a vent but it kept leaking so Century sent me a replacement cap like the original one has. Bear in mind these are 10 &15 year old bags respectively.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Century site actually specifically uses sand as an example of what you may fill the base of the wavemaster with.

"First, the Wavemaster can be easily moved! Just tip it onto the side of the base and roll it. Even when it is fully filled (use sand or water, and it weighs up to 250 lbs.), it’s a one-person job."

That is different from mine which hang from chains. I can definitely see using sand in the base of the type in the picture. Sand weighs a little over 12 pounds per gallon. Water weighs 8.34 pounds so sand would make for a heavier base by volume.
I was surprised that i cannot find my bags on the Century site but the look very much like the bag in the picture. Ours are suspended from the ceiling so no stand.
1639099830768.png

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fill it with Maple Syrup.

When a seam starts leaking it will flow slower than water.
We had a chemistry student who asked why we don't use something heavier, like molasses.

I said, "it would be cruel to the moles."

Latest Discussions